"Windows Explorer" in the Accessories menu opens at My Documents but I'd
like it to open at My Computer or C:. I tried creating a shortcut with
the command line "explorer c:" but while it works the folder pane is off
by default and I'd like it to be on.

I'm guessing there's some special switch to change the location but
what? Anybody know what I need to put in the command line to get a
normal Explorer windows open on C:?

This will create a shortcut to C:
Right click the Desktop | New | Shortcut |
Type or copy and paste this in the box:

%windir%\EXPLORER.EXE /e,c:

Next | Finish

Or change the Target of your existing shortcut to
%windir%\EXPLORER.EXE /e,c:
-----

Explorer.exe Command-Line Options for Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314853

HOW TO: Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307856

HOW TO: Have Windows Explorer Default to the %SystemRoot% Drive When Started

HOW TO: Change Windows Explorer Default View to My Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;221878

-----

You can also assign a shortcut key to that shortcut.

Right click the shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab |
[[With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you
want to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically start
with CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select the
key and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You cannot
use the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE keys.

Note
Once you assign a shortcut key combination for a specific program, you will
not be able to use that key combination with other programs.]]

I use Ctrl + Alt + E.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:3hoklkFi5bj6U1@individual.net,
Tim S. <tim@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> "Windows Explorer" in the Accessories menu opens at My Documents but I'd
> like it to open at My Computer or C:. I tried creating a shortcut with
> the command line "explorer c:" but while it works the folder pane is off
> by default and I'd like it to be on.
>
> I'm guessing there's some special switch to change the location but
> what? Anybody know what I need to put in the command line to get a
> normal Explorer windows open on C:?

Hi Tim,

Alongwith Wesley's expert advise, you can explore other explorer switches in this KB:

How To Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307856

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Tim S." <tim@nospam.com> wrote in message news:3hoklkFi5bj6U1@individual.net...
> "Windows Explorer" in the Accessories menu opens at My Documents but I'd like it to open at My
> Computer or C:. I tried creating a shortcut with the command line "explorer c:" but while it works
> the folder pane is off by default and I'd like it to be on.
>
> I'm guessing there's some special switch to change the location but what? Anybody know what I need
> to put in the command line to get a normal Explorer windows open on C:?

No special switch is necessary. Microsoft provided such a shortcut for you
in C:\Windows. You make a new shortcut and you have show all files. Then
in C:\Windows you will see two files named explrorer. You choose the one
that looks like a folder. There you go all done. This will open to C:\

--
George Hester
_______________________________

George Hester wrote:

> No special switch is necessary. Microsoft provided such a shortcut for you
> in C:\Windows. You make a new shortcut and you have show all files. Then
> in C:\Windows you will see two files named explrorer. You choose the one
> that looks like a folder. There you go all done. This will open to C:\
>
> --
> George Hester
> _______________________________
> "Tim S." <tim@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Windows Explorer" in the Accessories menu opens at My Documents but I'd
>>like it to open at My Computer or C:. I tried creating a shortcut with
>>the command line "explorer c:" but while it works the folder pane is off
>>by default and I'd like it to be on.
>>
>>I'm guessing there's some special switch to change the location but
>>what? Anybody know what I need to put in the command line to get a
>>normal Explorer windows open on C:?

It is not necessary for what the op wanted but is good to know nevertheless.

--
George Hester