Boot Problem (corrupt txtsetup.sif ???)

Last night I restarted Windows (XP PRO), and it hung on the reboot
before getting to the Win logo. I rebooted again and again and it
never progressed to Windows. Nothing had been troubling before this.
I tried booting from the Windows CD, but got the following error:

Inf file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing, status 32768. Setup
cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

--
rainer79
rainer79's Profile: http://www.highdots.com/forums/member.php?userid=284

Is your XP install CD a Retail disk or an OEM version. The
Setup Information File (.Sif) is a standard module. Check the
disk for fingerprints or other types of smudges. If necessary
you can download the Floppy startup disk set to get to the
Repair install or Recovery console using your CD-ROM.

XP Setup Boot Floppy downloads:
Home Edition:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=E8FE6868-6E4F-471C-B455-BD5AFEE126D8
Professional Edition:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=55820EDB-5039-4955-BCB7-4FED408EA73F

"rainer79" <rainer79.1qxv68@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in message

> Last night I restarted Windows (XP PRO), and it hung on the reboot
> before getting to the Win logo. I rebooted again and again and it
> never progressed to Windows. Nothing had been troubling before this.
> I tried booting from the Windows CD, but got the following error:
>
> Inf file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing, status 32768. Setup
> cannot continue. Press any key to exit.
>
> Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
>

> --
> rainer79
> rainer79's Profile: http://www.highdots.com/forums/member.php?userid=284
> View this thread: http://www.highdots.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1519464

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:22:46 -0400, rainer79

>Still having no luck. I swapped out RAM modules (no help) and have
>tried rebooting in all safe modes (also no help; computer just hangs).
>If anyone has suggestions, they'd be most welcome.

Check hardware generally - as well as overnight RAM testing loops,
check HD for physical errors, exclude overclocking, eyeball for bad
motherboard capacitors, etc.

Then, formally exclude malware.

Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

I checked most of the hardware (CD-ROMs, disk drives, etc) and no
problems. Could you please let me know (or provide links to) how to
check RAM with overnight testing loops and HD for physical defects?
Thanks!!!