Full re-install

I am thinking of doing a full re-install of XP (I have a full genuine version
with product key etc) but seem to recall a recnt article saying that
Microsoft have made a change (for anti-fraud purposes) which means that you
now need to contact them before products can be re-activated. Is anyone else
aware of this and do they know the contact details ?

Thank you in advance.

It is called Product Activation. If your last install was over 90 days ago, the MS
database has been flushed, and you should be able to easily activate with the wizard.
But, if your previous install was less than 90 days ago, or if you have problems
activating with the wizard, there's a supplied phone number for product activation. In
that case, you phone, tell MS that you had to reinstall, and you will be given a long
number to type for activation. You can activate Windows XP as many times as you need to.
But, according to the license, you may not legally have that same copy of Windows XP on
more than one system at the same time. The above does not apply to OEM versions of
Windows XP. They are the responsibility of the company who sold you the system with
Windows XP preinstalled.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

"Graham8uk" <Graham8uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am thinking of doing a full re-install of XP (I have a full genuine version
> with product key etc) but seem to recall a recnt article saying that
> Microsoft have made a change (for anti-fraud purposes) which means that you
> now need to contact them before products can be re-activated. Is anyone else
> aware of this and do they know the contact details ?
>
> Thank you in advance.

Hi.

I did a full install recently, starting up the computer from the windows
installation disk. (formatted the hard-drive first). I was not even asked for
the registration key, and was not bothered by any form of activation
requirement.

on this link :
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/features/activation.mspx

I found this text:
information is required to activate Windows XP.

To activate Windows XP over the telephone, you can simply call a toll-free*
number displayed on your screen. A customer service representative will ask
for the installation ID number displayed on the same screen, enter that
number into a secure database, and return a confirmation ID to you. Once you
have typed the confirmation ID, the activation process is complete.

Hope this is of some use

"Graham8uk" wrote:

> I am thinking of doing a full re-install of XP (I have a full genuine version
> with product key etc) but seem to recall a recnt article saying that
> Microsoft have made a change (for anti-fraud purposes) which means that you
> now need to contact them before products can be re-activated. Is anyone else
> aware of this and do they know the contact details ?
>
> Thank you in advance.

Thanks for the help guys - question answered and one happy punter

"Graham8uk" wrote:

> I am thinking of doing a full re-install of XP (I have a full genuine version
> with product key etc) but seem to recall a recnt article saying that
> Microsoft have made a change (for anti-fraud purposes) which means that you
> now need to contact them before products can be re-activated. Is anyone else
> aware of this and do they know the contact details ?
>
> Thank you in advance.

Read here on WPA and some helpful hints:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }