Running PC3500 on a PC3200 motherboard...?

In browsing the community forums recently I've seen some discussion regarding the use of PC3500 or higher DDR-RAM in motherboards which only support PC3200. People have claimed that PC3500 and higher are simply overclocked PC3200 memory. If this is the case would I be able to run Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM in my Intel D865GBF motherboard? From what I gather the motherboard will simply run the RAM at PC3200 so it shouldn't be an issue. But is there a downside to doing this? And on the flip side, is there any benefit to running PC3500 instead of PC3200 even though my motherboard will clock down the speed? I look forward to some response.
3 answers Last reply
More about running pc3500 pc3200 motherboard
  1. Yes, PC3500 is PC3200 that's been tested at an overclocked setting. The advantage when running at PC3200 speed is that PC3500 tends to be more stable. There are no disadvantages that I know of.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  2. Excellent, that is very good to know. Thank you.
  3. Well one disadvantage that I can think of is usually the higher rated memory will not run as tight of timings at the lower speed compaired to say a memory made for PC3200. For example you could have PC3200 memory that would run 2-2-2-5 at a 200fsb but you take PC3500 and it may not be able to run at that fast of timings. My PC4000 will not go below 2.5-3-3-7 at a 200fsb, but my Cosair 3200LL can run 2-3-2-6 and possibly faster with not problems. It doesnt make a whole lot of differance to performance, but the tighter timings do help.

<pre> /\
    || (-: Fun with ASCII :-)
    /\/\||/\/|
    \ /
    \______/
    | |
    | |
    </pre><p>Thats not a bug, its an undocumented feature....
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM Motherboards