I shared the D drive on one of my computers and the little hand appears.
Apparently this does not share all the directories. I can access the D
drive from the other machine, but not its directories unless I individually
right click on each and choose to share. Not a big problem, but I would
like to know if I'm doing something wrong. Is there a way to indicate that
I want the whole D drive and all its directories and subdirectories shared?

Thanks,
Anne

See if this helps:

Click Start > Help and Support
Next to the networking icon click Networking and the Web
Click Sharing Files, Printers and other Resources
Under Overviews, Articles, and Tutorials click Sharing Files and Folders
Overview
Click If Both Computers are on the Same Network
Select the proper step-by-step procedure

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Math1" <invalid@example.com> wrote in message
>I shared the D drive on one of my computers and the little hand appears.
>Apparently this does not share all the directories. I can access the D drive
>from the other machine, but not its directories unless I individually right
>click on each and choose to share. Not a big problem, but I would like to know
>if I'm doing something wrong. Is there a way to indicate that I want the whole
>D drive and all its directories and subdirectories shared?
>
> Thanks,
> Anne

I think, that is related to the NTFS permissions: so, the roots of the
drives have the permission to Everyone (that is one of the users groups)
to read the drive -- but this permission is not inherited by the folders
of the drives; and if you access the computer from the net as Guest (a
member of the only group: the mentioned Everyone), then you can see only
the root of the drive -- and have to share every folder individually.

Then you can:

either change the permissions for Everyone:
right click the drive -- Properties -- Security tab
(If you don't have Security tab in the NTFS drive properties -- that
mean your XP is Home Edition, or you have enabled simple file sharing in
Folder Options (it is the recommended setting in XP Pro). In the both
cases you can restart in Safe Mode (press F8 while booting, and select
this mode)? and change the permissions there). At the Security tab press
Advanced button -- select "Allow: Everyone......." -- press 'Edit...'
button -- Apply onto: <select here the option you want> -- Ok

or create at the remote computer a user with the same name and password,
as one of the users with the proper rights (permissions) of this
computer -- and work at the remote computer as this user.

The second way is preferable because you don't give too wide permissions
to ANY person who can access this computer from net.

--
Mikhail Zhilin
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:54:50 -0400, "Math1" <invalid@example.com> wrote:

>I shared the D drive on one of my computers and the little hand appears.
>Apparently this does not share all the directories. I can access the D
>drive from the other machine, but not its directories unless I individually
>right click on each and choose to share. Not a big problem, but I would
>like to know if I'm doing something wrong. Is there a way to indicate that
>I want the whole D drive and all its directories and subdirectories shared?
>
>Thanks,
>Anne

Thanks Brian. That was what I had done when I originally set up sharing.
But, just to be sure, I reversed the operations and removed all sharing.
Then I repeated the steps and set sharing for the D drive. That did it.
Thanks again.
Anne

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> See if this helps:
>
> Click Start > Help and Support
> Next to the networking icon click Networking and the Web
> Click Sharing Files, Printers and other Resources
> Under Overviews, Articles, and Tutorials click Sharing Files and Folders
> Overview
> Click If Both Computers are on the Same Network
> Select the proper step-by-step procedure
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>

> "Math1" <invalid@example.com> wrote in message
>>I shared the D drive on one of my computers and the little hand appears.
>>Apparently this does not share all the directories. I can access the D
>>drive from the other machine, but not its directories unless I
>>individually right click on each and choose to share. Not a big problem,
>>but I would like to know if I'm doing something wrong. Is there a way to
>>indicate that I want the whole D drive and all its directories and
>>subdirectories shared?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Anne

Glad to hear all is working, you're welcome.