Limited or no connectivity icon when connecting to network

June 20, 2005 5:27:13 PM

We have a simple peer to peer network running a mix of win98 and xp PC's.

On our one XP pc we occasionally, upon boot up, are not able to connect to
the rest of the network. We get that "limited or no connectivity" icon
displayed in the lower tray with an exclamation mark. Right click it and if
you attempt to repair/renew the IP address it always fails. Our only
solution has been to System Restore to the day before or when the system
last worked. This has worked so far. However, we also have a notebook and
Saturday I tried to connect it to our network (Ethernet to network hub) but
it also failed. Restoring to the previous restore point, (about 6 weeks
before as we don't use the notebook often) did not work. Dell support could
not fix it despite trying many different things (Bios tests, hardware test,
Ethernet cable replacement, deleting network hardware and so on). We were
forced to re-install Win XP. Dell claim that some 3rd party software is
conflicting with the network.

Our main Win XP pc has never had a problem and it has all the software (plus
more) that the others have..

Any one got any ideas. This is crazy.

Richard
Anonymous