Sign in with
Your question

Logitech 5.1 x-530, good enough for gaming?

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Speakers
  • Home Theatre
  • Logitech
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 26, 2005 7:37:43 PM

I currently have a SB Live 5.1 and digitially output to a 5.1 home theater system when watching movies/TV.

When gaming I use a good pair of headphones. Since the home theater speakers are centered on the couch analog 5.1 output isn't an option.

I am reasonably happy with my current gear, except people keep telling me that
1) EAX 4 is increadable
2) The 3d Sound works much better with 5.1 speakers.

So I am considering spending $50 for an Audigy 2 Value (no need for ZS's hardware decoding), and $60 for Logitech x-530's

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

Or I could keep skip the Audigy and spend $150 for the z-5300e.

Or I would just get the Audigy 2 and keep using headphones.

So what do you think should I
A) Stick with what I got. EAX 4 and 5.1 are overrated.
B) Get the Audigy 2 but keep using good headphones.
C) Get the Audigy 2 with cheap Logitech 5.1 speakers.
D) Just get the $150 Logitech 5.1 Speakers and get Audigy latter.
E) Wait and get the Audigy 2 and the $150 speaker at the same time.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Codesmith on 02/26/05 08:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : logitech 530 good gaming

February 27, 2005 3:25:02 AM

the Logitech X-530s are awesome for the money. crisp highs, good mids (a little hollwer at lower levels, but better at moderate levels because of low end saturation), and strong punctuated bass. the sub is definitely powerful enough to handle the biggest explosions. so i'm sure the quality is good enough for budget audiophiles (like me :D  ). if you're just using them around your computer desk or in a small computer room, the speakers are more than loud enough.

but...as for the Audigy 2 Value...its been out for a while and Creative still hasnt released the EAX 4 driver for it (which is necessary for EAX 4 and has been released for the ZS long since). so that might discourage you from getting it just yet. i have the Audigy 2 Value and can say its definitely a great card and handles EAX 3 beautifully. Call of Duty is brain blowing in EAX 3 and 5.1 at half volume on the X-530s. i dont think i could play the game in 2.1.

with the options you've given...i can only say the Logitech X-530s are great, but the Audigy 2 Value might not be worth it to you just yet since it doesnt fully support EAX 4.
February 27, 2005 5:20:39 AM

"When it comes to PC game audio, there is really only one name to know - Sound Blaster! With full EAX® 4.0 ADVANCED HD™ performance, Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 Value will take your gaming experience to a new level. Give yourself the competitive edge with compelling 7.1 surround sound. Plus advanced music tools, Advanced Resolution™ DVD-Audio playback, and Dolby Digital® EX support, makes Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value an awesome audio upgrade!" - Creative's website.

You sure about the lack of EAX 4 support in the drivers?

Seems odd.
February 28, 2005 3:38:46 AM

im pretty sure FULL EAX 4 AHD support only comes with a driver update first. i think even the ZS doesnt fully support it until you get the EAX driver. its been out for a while for the ZS. but i've been waiting for months, and there still hasnt been a driver update for the Audigy 2 Value (except for a DRM driver, which i dont want anyways).

i don't have any games in EAX 4 though, so i wouldn't know if the driver included in the install disc natively supportes it without an update. i hope it does, but i doubt it.
!