Monitor not turning on

I am having the exact problem indicated in KB823348 (monitor may not turn on
after being in energy saving mode), except for desktop units with LCD
monitors and not laptops. Is anyone else having this problem or know of any
fixes?

OS: XP Pro SP1 or 2
Monitor: ANY LCD Monitor, 17", 15" or 19"

Symptoms:
If screen saver is set and monitor is set to turn off after a period of time
(anything except Never), screen will not come back on until PC is unplugged.

Troubleshooting:
Upgraded video drivers/firmware
upgraded MB bios
5 answers Last reply
More about monitor turning

    As per the referenced article

    Pasted below for your convenience

    To resolve this issue, create the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
    LidCloseSetPower

    Chancey wrote:
    > I am having the exact problem indicated in KB823348 (monitor may not turn on
    > after being in energy saving mode), except for desktop units with LCD
    > monitors and not laptops. Is anyone else having this problem or know of any
    > fixes?

    > OS: XP Pro SP1 or 2
    > Monitor: ANY LCD Monitor, 17", 15" or 19"
    >
    > Symptoms:
    > If screen saver is set and monitor is set to turn off after a period of time
    > (anything except Never), screen will not come back on until PC is unplugged.
    >
    > Troubleshooting:
    > Upgraded video drivers/firmware
    > upgraded MB bios

    Being that it is a laptop entry, I assume it wouldn't work as there aren't
    any calls from the hardware layer advising the lid had been closed. Is that a
    correct assumption?

    "Bob I" wrote:

    > As per the referenced article
    >
    > Pasted below for your convenience
    >
    > To resolve this issue, create the following registry key:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
    > LidCloseSetPower
    >
    > Chancey wrote:
    > > I am having the exact problem indicated in KB823348 (monitor may not turn on
    > > after being in energy saving mode), except for desktop units with LCD
    > > monitors and not laptops. Is anyone else having this problem or know of any
    > > fixes?

    > > OS: XP Pro SP1 or 2
    > > Monitor: ANY LCD Monitor, 17", 15" or 19"
    > >
    > > Symptoms:
    > > If screen saver is set and monitor is set to turn off after a period of time
    > > (anything except Never), screen will not come back on until PC is unplugged.
    > >
    > > Troubleshooting:
    > > Upgraded video drivers/firmware
    > > upgraded MB bios

    Dunno, I would test it on a machine and see if in fact it did correct
    the issue.

    Chancey wrote:

    > Being that it is a laptop entry, I assume it wouldn't work as there aren't
    > any calls from the hardware layer advising the lid had been closed. Is that a
    > correct assumption?
    >
    > "Bob I" wrote:
    >

    >>As per the referenced article
    >>
    >>Pasted below for your convenience
    >>
    >>To resolve this issue, create the following registry key:
    >>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
    >>LidCloseSetPower
    >>
    >>Chancey wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am having the exact problem indicated in KB823348 (monitor may not turn on
    >>>after being in energy saving mode), except for desktop units with LCD
    >>>monitors and not laptops. Is anyone else having this problem or know of any
    >>>fixes?

    >>>OS: XP Pro SP1 or 2
    >>>Monitor: ANY LCD Monitor, 17", 15" or 19"
    >>>
    >>>Symptoms:
    >>>If screen saver is set and monitor is set to turn off after a period of time
    >>>(anything except Never), screen will not come back on until PC is unplugged.
    >>>
    >>>Troubleshooting:
    >>>Upgraded video drivers/firmware
    >>>upgraded MB bios

    Thanks, tried it on 5 pc's. Issue still exists. Any other ideas anyone?

    "Bob I" wrote:

    > Dunno, I would test it on a machine and see if in fact it did correct
    > the issue.
    >
    > Chancey wrote:
    >
    > > Being that it is a laptop entry, I assume it wouldn't work as there aren't
    > > any calls from the hardware layer advising the lid had been closed. Is that a
    > > correct assumption?
    > >
    > > "Bob I" wrote:
    > >

    > >>As per the referenced article
    > >>
    > >>Pasted below for your convenience
    > >>
    > >>To resolve this issue, create the following registry key:
    > >>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
    > >>LidCloseSetPower

    As a work around would setting the monitor "screensaver" to blank work?

    Chancey wrote:

    > Thanks, tried it on 5 pc's. Issue still exists. Any other ideas anyone?
    >
    > "Bob I" wrote:
    >

    >>Dunno, I would test it on a machine and see if in fact it did correct
    >>the issue.
    >>
    >>Chancey wrote:
    >>

    >>>Being that it is a laptop entry, I assume it wouldn't work as there aren't
    >>>any calls from the hardware layer advising the lid had been closed. Is that a
    >>>correct assumption?

Monitors Microsoft Windows XP