EXT HDD PROBLEMS PLEASE HELP

To my learned friends,

I am having problems with an external hard drive I purchased about a year
ago. Files seem to be disappearing. I have a file which contained about 12gb
of information (music files etc). The file now only has 88mb of information.
It is the top part of the files but as you can see is only a fraction of what
it used to be. What has happened to the files? I have done a search in the
drive…and no sign of them. Also, the system information does not register any
increase on the ‘free space’ of the drive. I am at a loss. What is happening?
Can I retrieve the files? It is really punishing to think that they may be
lost to me for good.

Any Ideas?

Please advise.

Thanking you in advance

Yours sincerely,

Joe

Run chkdsk on your external drive. The drives logical structure may have
become corrupt. The files may still be there (you haven't gained any extra
space on the drive) but inaccessible. Chkdsk may remedy the situation.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban