Program to switch OFF IDE harddisk?

I would like to switch off one of the Hard disks off to minimize noise.
Anyone knows program for this task?

This HD is used only for backup so I do not use it a-lot but it
generates a lot of noise.

Power saving option does some of the work but not quite what I would
like to have.

Hardware disconnection is not acceptable.

Some drives, such as newer SATA drives offer an Acoustic
operating mode change. Otherwise, you really only have one
choice - A Tray mount with a key to enable the drive. You
might check the manufacturer's website for any tools for your
drive and see if any operating mode changes are available.

When you say it's "Noisy" are you referring to a rotational
whine or some type of mechanical issue, like bearings making
the sound. You might be able to quiet it down by mounting it
more tightly in it's bracket.

I'd be leery of using any noisy drive for something as important
as backup(s).

"Primoz" <pprincic@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I would like to switch off one of the Hard disks off to minimize noise.
> Anyone knows program for this task?
>
> This HD is used only for backup so I do not use it a-lot but it generates
> a lot of noise.
>
> Power saving option does some of the work but not quite what I would like
> to have.
>
> Hardware disconnection is not acceptable.

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"Primoz" <pprincic@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I would like to switch off one of the Hard disks off to minimize noise.
> Anyone knows program for this task?
>
> This HD is used only for backup so I do not use it a-lot but it
> generates a lot of noise.
>
> Power saving option does some of the work but not quite what I would
> like to have.
>
> Hardware disconnection is not acceptable.

Did you check under Power Options if the hard drives are included (to
get spun down)? They don't get powered down but they should spin down,
and spinning is the only way they can make noise (the circuits on the
PCB on the hard drive do not make any noise). After ensuring the hard
drives are included in your power saving scheme, put the computer into
Standby mode (Start -> Shutdown -> Standby) to listen if your drives
actually do spin down.

If you don't use the hard drive, it should spin down after the time
interval you configured in the Power Options for Standby mode on the
hard drives. However, if anything accesses the drive then it won't be
idle and so it won't spin down. The drive has to remain idle during the
entire time you specified in the power saving scheme. Maybe you have
software that is accessing that hard drive. Use SysInternal's FileMon
to check. Be sure to enter "*" in the Include list to see all files,
the enable logging on opens, reads, and writes, and to select just the
volume (drive letter) for the backup drive. Then you can what, if
anything is accessing that backup drive.

Well its 2 years old and was not silent when it was new.
I was thinking of buying new drive for this job, but why would I need
120GB disk for ~15GB of data? For now it is good for the job I use it
for. (I make backups to DVDs also)

Noise I refer to is spin noise. When it is not spinning it is silent as
mouse :)

I figured if windows can put it to sleep why cant I with some program?

Have you checked with the vendor ? - 2 Years might still
qualify for a factory replacement. I would agree about the
120 Gig, way too much for backups.

> Well its 2 years old and was not silent when it was new.
> I was thinking of buying new drive for this job, but why would I need
> 120GB disk for ~15GB of data? For now it is good for the job I use it for.
> (I make backups to DVDs also)
>
> Noise I refer to is spin noise. When it is not spinning it is silent as
> mouse :)
>
> I figured if windows can put it to sleep why cant I with some program?

"I would agree about the 120 Gig, way too much for backups."

That depends entirely upon the particular system. My main computer has:

Drive 0 = 160 gig
Drive 1 = 40 gig
Drive 2 = 40 gig
Drive 3 = 120 gig

I back up what is most important to me to an external 120 gig USB 2.0 drive.
It is getting tight!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Have you checked with the vendor ? - 2 Years might still
> qualify for a factory replacement. I would agree about the
> 120 Gig, way too much for backups.
>

> "Primoz" <pprincic@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Well its 2 years old and was not silent when it was new.
>> I was thinking of buying new drive for this job, but why would I need
>> 120GB disk for ~15GB of data? For now it is good for the job I use it
>> for. (I make backups to DVDs also)
>>
>> Noise I refer to is spin noise. When it is not spinning it is silent as
>> mouse :)
>>
>> I figured if windows can put it to sleep why cant I with some program?

I must be way out of touch with "typical" content these days.
That's allot of disk space to backup.
What are storing on there - the Library of Congress ?

I've got (2) 40-Gig SATA, (1) Tray 40-Gig IDE & an external
80-Gig Maxtor USB. Only 1 is over 60% full. How do you
keep up with that much data ?

> "I would agree about the 120 Gig, way too much for backups."
>
> That depends entirely upon the particular system. My main computer has:
>
> Drive 0 = 160 gig
> Drive 1 = 40 gig
> Drive 2 = 40 gig
> Drive 3 = 120 gig
>
> I back up what is most important to me to an external 120 gig USB 2.0
> drive. It is getting tight!
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban

> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Have you checked with the vendor ? - 2 Years might still
>> qualify for a factory replacement. I would agree about the
>> 120 Gig, way too much for backups.
>>

>> "Primoz" <pprincic@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Well its 2 years old and was not silent when it was new.
>>> I was thinking of buying new drive for this job, but why would I need
>>> 120GB disk for ~15GB of data? For now it is good for the job I use it
>>> for. (I make backups to DVDs also)
>>>
>>> Noise I refer to is spin noise. When it is not spinning it is silent as
>>> mouse :)
>>>
>>> I figured if windows can put it to sleep why cant I with some program?

I have about 106 gig of edited video files I have rendered from my
camcorder. I have every single program I have purchased, or otherwise
legally downloaded from the internet - going back to bulletin board days
(about 80 gig worth). I have loads of mp3's and tons of photos! I have about
50 AutoCAD drawings, some of which are in excess of 100 meg size. Hundreds,
maybe thousands of scanned documents and magazine articles. But I'm starting
to slow down.

I guess I am not typical!

Some people really use their computer. (-:

--

>I must be way out of touch with "typical" content these days.
> That's allot of disk space to backup.
> What are storing on there - the Library of Congress ?
>
> I've got (2) 40-Gig SATA, (1) Tray 40-Gig IDE & an external
> 80-Gig Maxtor USB. Only 1 is over 60% full. How do you
> keep up with that much data ?

>> "I would agree about the 120 Gig, way too much for backups."
>>
>> That depends entirely upon the particular system. My main computer has:
>>
>> Drive 0 = 160 gig
>> Drive 1 = 40 gig
>> Drive 2 = 40 gig
>> Drive 3 = 120 gig
>>
>> I back up what is most important to me to an external 120 gig USB 2.0
>> drive. It is getting tight!
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban

>> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>> Have you checked with the vendor ? - 2 Years might still
>>> qualify for a factory replacement. I would agree about the
>>> 120 Gig, way too much for backups.
>>>

>>> "Primoz" <pprincic@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Where'd you get all those mp3s?

|I have about 106 gig of edited video files I have rendered from my
| camcorder. I have every single program I have purchased, or otherwise
| legally downloaded from the internet - going back to bulletin board days
| (about 80 gig worth). I have loads of mp3's and tons of photos! I have
about
| 50 AutoCAD drawings, some of which are in excess of 100 meg size.
Hundreds,
| maybe thousands of scanned documents and magazine articles. But I'm
starting
| to slow down.
|
| I guess I am not typical!
|
| Some people really use their computer. (-:
|
| --
| Regards,
|
| Richard Urban
|
| If you knew as much as you think you know,
| You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
|

| "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
| >I must be way out of touch with "typical" content these days.
| > That's allot of disk space to backup.
| > What are storing on there - the Library of Congress ?
| >
| > I've got (2) 40-Gig SATA, (1) Tray 40-Gig IDE & an external
| > 80-Gig Maxtor USB. Only 1 is over 60% full. How do you
| > keep up with that much data ?
| >

| > "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| >> "I would agree about the 120 Gig, way too much for backups."
| >>
| >> That depends entirely upon the particular system. My main computer has:
| >>
| >> Drive 0 = 160 gig
| >> Drive 1 = 40 gig
| >> Drive 2 = 40 gig
| >> Drive 3 = 120 gig
| >>
| >> I back up what is most important to me to an external 120 gig USB 2.0
| >> drive. It is getting tight!
| >>

| >> --
| >> Regards,
| >>
| >> Richard Urban
| >>
| >> If you knew as much as you think you know,
| >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
| >>

| >> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Copied from my extensive collection of 78's, 45's and 33 1/3 LP albums! (-:

--
Regards,

Richard Urban