Sign in with
Your question

my ever elusive hard drive (HELP!!!!!!!)

Last response: in Storage
March 17, 2004 2:34:18 AM

I've been stuck on this problem for a while now, and it's starting to get on my nerves. Mostly because I'm sure the solution is forehead-slapping obvious....

I refurbish my old pc, and when I boot it simply says "Operating System not found." Ok I say, I'll just purge the hard drive and start from scratch. Deleted all the partitions, installed Linux with no difficulties.

Boot up.

"Operating System not found"

Now, I've gone into the Setup menu and set the boot priority to the Hard Drive. I've set up all the HD thingys to Auto. Still, nothing works. But wait! It gets better.

So I install Red Hat 9.0 on it with no problems. When I go into <F1>Setup however, it says that there is no Primary Master IDE or slave or Secondary or anything. Floppy and optical drives show up fine, not the HD. And yet, I had JUST finished putting Linux on it. How did I write to the HD when the mobo can't even find it?

I'm not using new parts with an old setup or anything, everything is from the original computer, HD and all.

Help me! What do I do so that it will find the HD?

More about : elusive hard drive

March 17, 2004 3:27:45 AM

This is what I would do if you brought your computer to me.
I would take the case apart.
Inspect all cables were securely connected.
Remove the hard drive.
Set the jumper on the hard drive to Master or Master without slave present. Reinstall the hard drive.
Reinstall the IDE cable. Making sure it was an 80 conductor cable. Plug the motherboard end of the cable to the primary IDE connector and the master end of the cable into the hard drive.
Next I would pull out the optical drive.
I would make sure it was jumpered as master. Reinstall the optical drive.
Using a 40 conductor IDE cable I would plug the motherboard end of the cable into the secondary IDE connector and the master end into the optical drive.
Then I would check to make sure the floppy drive cable was installed correctly and securely.
I would do a double check on the rest of the hardware makeing sure all connections are secure and screws tight.
Then I would blow out any accumulated dust and clean cooling fans.
Next I would reassemble the case.
Then connect the peripheral devices, mouse, keyboard, monitor and speakers.
Turn on the power and enter the BIOS setup.
Check the BIOS to see that it recognizes installed hardware.
Check and set the boot order to:
Floppy 1st device
Optical 2nd device
Hard Drive 3rd device
I use that order when formating a hard drive and installing the OS for the first time.

Anyway those are the steps I would take with your computer. I hope that helps you.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
March 17, 2004 3:36:54 AM

I once ran across a computer that couldn't recognize the installed hard drive.
When I took the drive out of the computer the controller on the logic board for the drive was visably burned. I installed a new hard drive and my co-worker has been happy for a year and a half now with the new drive.
If your drive still can't be seen in the BIOS with it connected to the master IDE channel switch with the optical drive on the secondary IDE channel.
If you can see your optical drive in the secondary channel and in the primary channel but you can't see your hard drive in either channel then I would say your hard drive has gone bad and your motherboard is fine.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
!