Sign in with
Your question

Operating system

Last response: in Windows 7
August 18, 2012 12:25:34 PM

what version of Windows 7 do I need to purchase for a new build? I'm am currently in the process of my first build. However I want to make sure I get the OS system software that I need. I have read that OEM versions are not what I need as they are for resale computers. thanks

More about : operating system

August 18, 2012 12:31:04 PM

OEMs would be fine if you don't plan to install/re-install the OS multiple times. as for the version, home premium should be more than enough for most cases.
m
l
a c 401 $ Windows 7
August 18, 2012 12:34:03 PM

OEM - Once installed is tied to that motherboard

Retail - Can be used on multiple computers but only 1 at a time.

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^
m
l
August 18, 2012 12:34:06 PM

Main difference between OEM and Retail is the OEM version is tied to the motherboard of the pc it is installed on. That means that if you want to change your motherboard for a different model in the future you will have to purchase another OEM version. Whereas the retail version allows you to move the OS from one PC to another (provided you disable the OS on the old pc first)
m
l
Related resources
!