Andrew

This is not an easy problem. I need to be able to stop plug and play of a
modem without disabling plug and play for other devices.

The reason for this is due to a possible bug in XP. We have headless systems
in the feild which are pre configured with a standard MS OEM 33.6K modem
driver. We also configure an Incoming connection that uses that standard
modem. This works fine until a tech plugs in a new modem and XP detects it
and installs new drivers for it. The incoming connection is still listening
for the old modem. OK, no problem, the tech plugs a moitor and keyboard in (a
pain) and attemts to reconfigure it. However, the incoming connection does
not see the new modem until you restart, not good for a system that needs to
be up all the time. It would be nice if the new modem would just use the
existing driver. Is this possible??

BTW. I still need the plug and play for USB to serial devices.

Regards:

Andrew

Very easily solved. Simply make sure that the new modem uses the driver
that is installed. In other words, install modems that use the
preexisting drivers. Don't be just plugging in any old modem the tech
comes across in an old box of parts.

Andrew <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>This is not an easy problem. I need to be able to stop plug and play of a
>modem without disabling plug and play for other devices.

You cannot do this. If you stop the P&P service, Plug and Play will no
longer be available.

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233

Internal modems will have the correct drivers, after the first PnP discovery
for the drivers.

External modems will always be PnP whenever the XP is started after the
previous session where the modem was not powered on. XP is based on NT/2000
driver models and will release system resources if the device is not
detected during start-up. When the external modem is powered off, XP will
not discovery the device.