Desktop Icon Wont Perma-Delete

I've deleted an icon for a folder on my Windows XP Professional desktop at
least 10 times, probably more over the last year. It re-appears at random
and is empty. I tried deleting it from Command, but it said the folder
didn't exist, however "dir" said it did. I'm really lost here as to how to
make this icon go away.

Hi,

From the command prompt, try:

RD /s /q <directory_name>