After a number of months of hell with my new pc and this great xp system
that was going to make everything much easier, I'd had enough. Of
spyware, addware, windows system32 file, worms and trojans attatching
to all my files giving me a mental breakdown everyday I use it, being
everyday.

The last straw to break the camels back came earlier today, my mouse
was disconnecting itself making an irritating sound everytime it
"harware unplugged..". So I decided it was time for a fresh start.

I reinstalled windows, my first time installing an operating system.
To my joy, when I finally finnished the smoothly run install, I
discovered all my files were gone. Yes the past year and a halfs
resources for all my project, which I put off printing "till the end of
the year". Well at least everything was going to work from now
on...was'nt it.

well after reinstalling, losing all my files .... my mouse froze...made
the sound....unfroze.... why cant they just make computers that work?

P.S anyone know what this mouse dilema is and a fix?

--
nirvanaman

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

nirvanaman wrote:

> After a number of months of hell with my new pc and this great xp system
> that was going to make everything much easier, I'd had enough. Of
> spyware, addware, windows system32 file, worms and trojans attatching
> to all my files giving me a mental breakdown everyday I use it, being
> everyday.
>
> The last straw to break the camels back came earlier today, my mouse
> was disconnecting itself making an irritating sound everytime it
> "harware unplugged..". So I decided it was time for a fresh start.
>
> I reinstalled windows, my first time installing an operating system.
> To my joy, when I finally finnished the smoothly run install, I
> discovered all my files were gone. Yes the past year and a halfs
> resources for all my project, which I put off printing "till the end of
> the year". Well at least everything was going to work from now
> on...was'nt it.
>
> well after reinstalling, losing all my files .... my mouse froze...made
> the sound....unfroze.... why cant they just make computers that work?
>
> P.S anyone know what this mouse dilema is and a fix?

The best advice I can give you at this point is to investigate and
invest in a backup system, test it to know how it works, then make
regular and full backups. I'm sorry you lost all your work, but that
could have been avoided by having a backup of important data. Doesn't
matter how well a system is running, system failure and data loss can
occur at any time.

There are several approaches. One is to use an imaging program. This
makes an exact image of the partition which can be saved on CD/DVD or to
another drive - internal or external. Best is to save the images on
external media such as a removable USB hard drive. Restores can be done
of the entire partition or individual files / folders. These work well
and make it easy to recover from a drive crash. Examples of this are:

Norton Ghost 9.0
Drive Image 7 (still available in some places; the maker - Powerquest -
was bought out by Symantec and is now Norton Ghost 9 with some changes)
Acronis True Image
Terabyte Unlimited's Image for Windows
Terabyte Unlimited's BootItNg

The second option is a traditional backup program such as Stompsoft's
Backup My PC. This is an excellent tool. It is the evolution of
ntbackup. There are other good backup programs out there as well. This
can do a complete backup or backup individual files and folders to
DVD/CD and other drives.

For your mouse try a different mouse. Also if it's USB try a PS2 mouse
and the opposite.

Learn how to secure your computer so you don't have problems with
malware. Use a good firewall, antivirus program, and a combination of
anti-spyware programs. Keep the OS patched. Practice safe hex. See
these links for more information.

http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/before_you_plug_in.html#III

THE PARASITE FIGHT
Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Richard Harper’s Guide to Cleaning Pests
http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

nirvanaman wrote:
> After a number of months of hell with my new pc and this great xp system
> that was going to make everything much easier, I'd had enough. Of
> spyware, addware, windows system32 file, worms and trojans attatching
> to all my files giving me a mental breakdown everyday I use it, being
> everyday.
>
> The last straw to break the camels back came earlier today, my mouse
> was disconnecting itself making an irritating sound everytime it
> "harware unplugged..". So I decided it was time for a fresh start.
>
> I reinstalled windows, my first time installing an operating system.
> To my joy, when I finally finnished the smoothly run install, I
> discovered all my files were gone. Yes the past year and a halfs
> resources for all my project, which I put off printing "till the end of
> the year". Well at least everything was going to work from now
> on...was'nt it.
>
> well after reinstalling, losing all my files .... my mouse froze...made
> the sound....unfroze.... why cant they just make computers that work?
>
> P.S anyone know what this mouse dilema is and a fix?

Two things... if it is a two tone noise when the mouse stops working, it
is in fact a hardware issue. Rather than the computer, I would suspect
that it is the mouse.

There is a possibility that your files remain on the PC. I will assume
you did not reformat when you reinstalled. To check and see if you have
in fact got them, do a search by file name to see and find the location.

--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making

In article <nirvanaman.1qy7pn@pcbanter.net>,
nirvanaman.1qy7pn@pcbanter.net says...

> After a number of months of hell with my new pc and this great xp system
> that was going to make everything much easier, I'd had enough. Of
> spyware, addware, windows system32 file, worms and trojans attatching
> to all my files giving me a mental breakdown everyday I use it, being
> everyday.

I hate to say this, but if you've had problems this long you really need
to take a step back and get some simple computer training. If you had
bothered to follow any of the security directions found all over
Microsofts site, you would have been in a lot better shape.

> The last straw to break the camels back came earlier today, my mouse
> was disconnecting itself making an irritating sound everytime it
> "harware unplugged..". So I decided it was time for a fresh start.
>
> I reinstalled windows, my first time installing an operating system.

But you didn't take time to learn about reinstalling or about backing up
your files first. There are two methods, full reinstall including a wipe
and a repair/reinstall method - but you didn't take time to do the prep
work to learn about what you were about to do.

> To my joy, when I finally finnished the smoothly run install, I
> discovered all my files were gone. Yes the past year and a halfs
> resources for all my project, which I put off printing "till the end of
> the year". Well at least everything was going to work from now
> on...was'nt it.

If you risked all of that, if it was worth anything, you would have made
a backup before attempting anything on the computer. Why didn't you burn
the files to CD/DVD? Why didn't you back it up to diskette, why not to a
removable USB drive..... You already had a clear indication that your
computer was very much at risk and yet you didn't backup your valuable
information?

> well after reinstalling, losing all my files .... my mouse froze...made
> the sound....unfroze.... why cant they just make computers that work?

Computers work fine - been using them since the mid 70's without a
single virus/compromised system. It's people that spend good money on a
device, count on it, but never take the time to understand how/why it
works or how to protect their files/data that cause the problems.

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:01:16 +0000, nirvanaman

>well after reinstalling, losing all my files .... my mouse froze...made
>the sound....unfroze.... why cant they just make computers that work?

Some ppl do, or try to; most just feed in the CDs and click Setup
until the software tells them it's finished. Depends who builds and
sets up your PC, as to how much value they add.

See http://cquirke.mvps.org/reist.htm

For example, leaving your data deeply nested within a long chain of
folders on C: (which is constantly subjected to write traffic - and
that's when corruption happens) is duuumb, but that's the duhfault way
of doing things, because users are thought to be too dim to manage
more than one drive letter per hard drive.

If your data was not on C:, then even if you were to wipe C: to "just"
re-install Windows, you'd stuill not wipe your data.

If your XP is older than SP2, and you install Windows in the default
way, you *will* be dogmeat within 30 minutes of connecting to the
Internet. Watch out for unexpected outgoing CC payments.

>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
Never turn your back on an installer program

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 00:52:35 GMT, MCR <markcoleman10@ntlworld.com>

>Two things... if it is a two tone noise when the mouse stops working, it
>is in fact a hardware issue. Rather than the computer, I would suspect
>that it is the mouse.

Did you pay a silly premium for a wireless mouse, that maybe has flat
batteries? Did you pay an uber-premium for a Big Name wireless
keyboard and mouse that had rechargeable batteries in the mouse, but
no recharge for those in the keyboard? Welcome to retail...

>There is a possibility that your files remain on the PC. I will assume
>you did not reformat when you reinstalled. To check and see if you have
>in fact got them, do a search by file name to see and find the location.

Most likely you created a new user account - rather oddly, a "repair
install" prompts for new account names, and if you use the same name
as your old account, you get two accounts with the "same name" - and
the account you are in doesn't have your data in it.

By duhfault, data is held within "C:\Documents and Settings", starting
from a base directory with a name related your account name. When
account names are duplicated for one reason or another, the actual
folder names are changed so they are unique; a bit like the old
"WINDOWS" vs. "WINDOWS.000" days.

Within each account base directory, there are, among other things:

My Documents
My Pictures (large bulky image files and camera dumps)
My Music (large bulky music files)
My Videos (large bulky video files)
My Received Files (incoming files and malware from IM)
Application Data
Identities (maybe you'll find OE mail data here)
Microsoft (various MSware loseable data stores)
Address Book (your Windows/OE address book as .WAB file)
Outlook (not where your Outlook.PST appears to be)
Proof (where you may find your CUSTOM.DIC spelling dictionary)
Templates (where you may find your MS Office templates, maybe)
Excel (VBA malware dropped here will run when Excel starts)
Word (VBA malware dropped here will run when Word starts)
Cookies
Desktop (what you dump on "the desktop" may be here)
Favorites
Local Settings
Application Data
Identities (more likely you'll find OE mail data here)
Microsoft (more MSware loseable data stores)
CD Burning (wads of stuff you thought you'd written to CDR)
Outlook (not where your Outlook.PST appears to be, either)
History (not to be confused with "Recent")
Temp (wads of temp files that are often "in use")
Temporary Internet Files (hugely bloated web cache for IE)
My Recent Documents (not to be confused with "History")
Nethood (shortcuts to every LAN share the system ever saw)
SendTo (shortcuts to things you can "Send To")
Start Menu
Programs
Startup (any malware dropped here will autorun with Windows)
Templates (maybe this is where your Office templates may be)
UserData (red herring?)

Then there is the AllUsers "account", which applies some (Desktop,
tart Menu) but not all (SendTo, Toolbars) UI items to everyone's
account settings. The StartUp folder is yet another place that any
malware can autorun from if it drops itself there. I never did find
my Outlook.PST (contains *all* MS Outlook data in one huge lump).

Oh; half this stuff you can't see, unless you set Windows Explorer to
show hidden and system files, just as you can't see crucual
information that indicates file type and risk unless you set Explorer
to show file name extensions. But that's another story.

Oh, also; depending what account you are in, you may not see "My
Music" etc. but "Fred's Music" etc. instead. Or you may not see
anything at all, if on NTFS and the owner's "made private".

If you're on NTFS and make your files private, there may be extra
hoops to jump through ("how to take ownership") if that account is
killed. But if you *really* want to lose data forever, you'd need to
run XP Pro on NTFS, use Encrypted File System to really hide your
files, and then lose the "key". Gone For Ever, but securely so.

Now if you look at the above, you might be able to figure what the
problems will be, if you:
- try to safely share via network
- try to backup data
- try to recover data

If you full-share the whole of your user profile subtree, and you
allow write access to StartUp, then any malware on any system that can
"see" your share can drop into your system and run on next boot. Even
if you don't full-share the folder for that very reason, XP Pro will
do it for you, via the "hidden" (from you, but a nice known name makes
it perfectly useable for the bad guys) admin shares.

If you try to backup your entire user profile subtree to CDR, using
XP's built-in CD writing, it will fail because the temporary files
that the process creates will be within the subtree you are trying to
copy. You'd also encompass temporary files that may come and go
(breaking backup verification) or be "in use", stalling access.

If you try to backup just your "My Documents", you may find it's
bloated beyond your storage capacitry by all the pictures, music and
videos stored within there - plus polluted by any malware that may
have been sent to you via Instant Messaging. You'd also lose your
address book, and all sorts of other MSware data that's scattered
across two sets of "Application Data".

If you're trying to recover data, your first obstacle is NTFS -
there's no maintenance OS from MS that you can boot without writing to
the hard drive (and thus potentially corrupting it further) and there
are no tools from MS that let you control what errors are fixed and
what are tip-toed away from. But that's OK, because there are no
low-level file system repair tools for NTFS either - if NTFS kills you
(as it is a lot less likely to than FATxx) you stay dead.

If you get past the NTFS hurdle (or simply avoid the whole mess and
use FATxx instead, so your tech is sitting comfortably in DiskEdit
repairing the file system by hand) you van then start recovering
directories (folders) to get to the lost data. Notice how many of
these to need to recover, even assuming you know where to go
(Local Settings\Application Data or just Application Data?) and
how many of these are burdened with Long File Names that will
look odd as raw 8.3 (LOCALS~1\APPLIC~1\MICROS~1...).
For example, OE's data is not just in blah-blah-Identities-XXXX,
but within the XXXX there's still Microsoft and Outlook Express
to recover - two utterly needless extra folders, two extra chances
to be locked out of your data when things go wrong.

It's possible and IMO desirable to reorganize things more rationally,
e.g. D:\DOCS, E:\PICTURES and so so, but it's fairly hard work.
That's what some system builders may do for you.

The most accurate diagnostic instrument
in medicine is the Retrospectoscope