Ryan

I recently had a few problems with xp and reinstalled it in the same folder
as the version replaced I can see all my old data and applications but can
not use any of them. Is this because the registry has been swept clean and
is there any way to use the the old programs and aplications or do I have to
reinstall everything?

You would have been better doing a 'repair' rather than a complete install.
As you have done a complete install you will need to reinstall the programs
you refer to.
Personally i would start again from scratch. Do a clean install and reformat
the hard drive before installing windows xp. Okay you will need to reinstall
all your programs again but what you have done todate has left a right mess
on your pc.
For more details on reinstalling, formatting etc visit my website
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org Click the Win XP Faq button and take a look
at questions 7, 41 and 85

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently had a few problems with xp and reinstalled it in the same folder
> as the version replaced I can see all my old data and applications but can
> not use any of them. Is this because the registry has been swept clean
> and
> is there any way to use the the old programs and aplications or do I have
> reinstall everything?

Regarding multiple install messes, I have a second install to a folder other
than "c:\windows". It works fine and I wonder if I can delete the now
defunct "c:\windows" folder without interfering with the new install? What
do you think?