lsass Boot Error

a b D Laptop
June 20, 2005 10:32:03 PM

I have a laptop that gets a lsass.exe error on start up: "An invalid
parameter was passed to a service or function." I have tried to start in the
"safe mode" to no avail. I have tried to use the Windows XP cd to boot up
the system.. no go. I have tried to use a disk that should let me log on and
perform a stinger virus scan, again no luck. I'm unable to log onto the
laptop to perform anykind of scan, or anything.

Is there anyone out there that can help me with this problem?

More about : lsass boot error

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 20, 2005 10:56:03 PM

Seems the Windows XP LSASS service is corrupted. This is should not stop you
from booting a Windows XP CD. Make sure, you set the boot order for CD-ROM is
set in the BIOS and then try again.

Hope it helps.

--
JonyBrv

"bigj" wrote:

> I have a laptop that gets a lsass.exe error on start up: "An invalid
> parameter was passed to a service or function." I have tried to start in the
> "safe mode" to no avail. I have tried to use the Windows XP cd to boot up
> the system.. no go. I have tried to use a disk that should let me log on and
> perform a stinger virus scan, again no luck. I'm unable to log onto the
> laptop to perform anykind of scan, or anything.
>
> Is there anyone out there that can help me with this problem?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 21, 2005 1:27:01 AM

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I know enough just to be dangerous, but I
can't get it to boot from the CD-ROM. I pressed F2 and entered set up and
put CD-ROM at the top of the list, but it seems to always default to the hard
drive. Can you walk me through making sure it will boot from the CD-ROM. My
laptop only has a CD-ROM. It doesn't have a floppy slot.

"Jonybrv" wrote:

> Seems the Windows XP LSASS service is corrupted. This is should not stop you
> from booting a Windows XP CD. Make sure, you set the boot order for CD-ROM is
> set in the BIOS and then try again.
>
> Hope it helps.
>

> --
> JonyBrv
>

> "bigj" wrote:
>
> > I have a laptop that gets a lsass.exe error on start up: "An invalid
> > parameter was passed to a service or function." I have tried to start in the
> > "safe mode" to no avail. I have tried to use the Windows XP cd to boot up
> > the system.. no go. I have tried to use a disk that should let me log on and
> > perform a stinger virus scan, again no luck. I'm unable to log onto the
> > laptop to perform anykind of scan, or anything.
> >
> > Is there anyone out there that can help me with this problem?

a b D Laptop
June 21, 2005 1:37:01 AM

Make sure the CD you are using is bootable. Try this out in a different
computer to see if it boots ( restart the computer immediately once confirmed
) maybe the CD-ROM drive itself is malfunctioning.

Press F2 to get into bios, look for a option load setup defaults and select
it. Try booting with CD again.

--
JonyBrv

"bigj" wrote:

> Unless I'm doing something wrong, I know enough just to be dangerous, but I
> can't get it to boot from the CD-ROM. I pressed F2 and entered set up and
> put CD-ROM at the top of the list, but it seems to always default to the hard
> drive. Can you walk me through making sure it will boot from the CD-ROM. My
> laptop only has a CD-ROM. It doesn't have a floppy slot.
>

> "Jonybrv" wrote:
>
> > Seems the Windows XP LSASS service is corrupted. This is should not stop you
> > from booting a Windows XP CD. Make sure, you set the boot order for CD-ROM is
> > set in the BIOS and then try again.
> >
> > Hope it helps.
> >

> > --
> > JonyBrv
> >

> > "bigj" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a laptop that gets a lsass.exe error on start up: "An invalid
> > > parameter was passed to a service or function." I have tried to start in the
> > > "safe mode" to no avail. I have tried to use the Windows XP cd to boot up
> > > the system.. no go. I have tried to use a disk that should let me log on and
> > > perform a stinger virus scan, again no luck. I'm unable to log onto the
> > > laptop to perform anykind of scan, or anything.
> > >
> > > Is there anyone out there that can help me with this problem?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 21, 2005 1:45:03 AM

I pressed F2 and put CD-ROM at the top of the list for booting order. You
can hear and feel the CD-ROM spinning and the light on CD-ROM works, but then
goes off and seems to boot from the hard drive. Not sure what to do now.

"Jonybrv" wrote:

> Seems the Windows XP LSASS service is corrupted. This is should not stop you
> from booting a Windows XP CD. Make sure, you set the boot order for CD-ROM is
> set in the BIOS and then try again.
>
> Hope it helps.
>

> --
> JonyBrv
>

> "bigj" wrote:
>
> > I have a laptop that gets a lsass.exe error on start up: "An invalid
> > parameter was passed to a service or function." I have tried to start in the
> > "safe mode" to no avail. I have tried to use the Windows XP cd to boot up
> > the system.. no go. I have tried to use a disk that should let me log on and
> > perform a stinger virus scan, again no luck. I'm unable to log onto the
> > laptop to perform anykind of scan, or anything.
> >
> > Is there anyone out there that can help me with this problem?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 21, 2005 1:48:03 AM

I'm using the orginal Windows XP CD. I pressed F2 and put CD-ROM at the top
of the list for booting order. You can hear the CD-ROM spinning and the
light is on on the unit. Then the light goes out and it seems to be booting
from the hard drive and then I get he same message "lsass.exe-system error"
"An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function." Any other
suggestions? I can't even get to a command prompt. What can I do. I have a
ton of irreplaceable pictures and information that I can't afford to loose?
HELP?!!!

"Jonybrv" wrote:

> Make sure the CD you are using is bootable. Try this out in a different
> computer to see if it boots ( restart the computer immediately once confirmed
> ) maybe the CD-ROM drive itself is malfunctioning.
>
> Press F2 to get into bios, look for a option load setup defaults and select
> it. Try booting with CD again.
>
> --
> JonyBrv
>

> "bigj" wrote:
>
> > Unless I'm doing something wrong, I know enough just to be dangerous, but I
> > can't get it to boot from the CD-ROM. I pressed F2 and entered set up and
> > put CD-ROM at the top of the list, but it seems to always default to the hard
> > drive. Can you walk me through making sure it will boot from the CD-ROM. My
> > laptop only has a CD-ROM. It doesn't have a floppy slot.
> >

> > "Jonybrv" wrote:
> >
> > > Seems the Windows XP LSASS service is corrupted. This is should not stop you
> > > from booting a Windows XP CD. Make sure, you set the boot order for CD-ROM is
> > > set in the BIOS and then try again.
> > >
> > > Hope it helps.
> > >

> > > --
> > > JonyBrv

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 21, 2005 2:25:01 AM

Bigj, try resetting BIOS to its default values either within BIOS or using
the RTC battery. Your product documentation should have the instructions
--
JonyBrv

"bigj" wrote:

> I pressed F2 and put CD-ROM at the top of the list for booting order. You
> can hear and feel the CD-ROM spinning and the light on CD-ROM works, but then
> goes off and seems to boot from the hard drive. Not sure what to do now.
>

> "Jonybrv" wrote:
>
> > Seems the Windows XP LSASS service is corrupted. This is should not stop you
> > from booting a Windows XP CD. Make sure, you set the boot order for CD-ROM is
> > set in the BIOS and then try again.
> >
> > Hope it helps.
> >

> > --
> > JonyBrv
> >

> > "bigj" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a laptop that gets a lsass.exe error on start up: "An invalid
> > > parameter was passed to a service or function." I have tried to start in the
> > > "safe mode" to no avail. I have tried to use the Windows XP cd to boot up
> > > the system.. no go. I have tried to use a disk that should let me log on and
> > > perform a stinger virus scan, again no luck. I'm unable to log onto the
> > > laptop to perform anykind of scan, or anything.
> > >
> > > Is there anyone out there that can help me with this problem?

June 21, 2005 2:40:37 AM

Did you ever find a fix for this? I am having the same problem!!

Jason

"Jonybrv" <Jonybrv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Seems the Windows XP LSASS service is corrupted. This is should not stop
> you
> from booting a Windows XP CD. Make sure, you set the boot order for CD-ROM
> is
> set in the BIOS and then try again.
>
> Hope it helps.
>

> --
> JonyBrv
>

> "bigj" wrote:
>
>> I have a laptop that gets a lsass.exe error on start up: "An invalid
>> parameter was passed to a service or function." I have tried to start in
>> the
>> "safe mode" to no avail. I have tried to use the Windows XP cd to boot
>> up
>> the system.. no go. I have tried to use a disk that should let me log on
>> and
>> perform a stinger virus scan, again no luck. I'm unable to log onto the
>> laptop to perform anykind of scan, or anything.
>>
>> Is there anyone out there that can help me with this problem?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 21, 2005 3:00:19 AM

Are you ensuring that when you leave the BIOS you are selecting the option
to Save your new settings?

I can't give you exact instructions because I don't know which BIOS you have
but you will have to Save when you exit in order for the change to stick.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"bigj" <bigj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Unless I'm doing something wrong, I know enough just to be dangerous, but
> can't get it to boot from the CD-ROM. I pressed F2 and entered set up and
> put CD-ROM at the top of the list, but it seems to always default to the
> hard
> drive. Can you walk me through making sure it will boot from the CD-ROM.
> My
> laptop only has a CD-ROM. It doesn't have a floppy slot.
>

> "Jonybrv" wrote:
>
>> Seems the Windows XP LSASS service is corrupted. This is should not stop
>> you
>> from booting a Windows XP CD. Make sure, you set the boot order for
>> CD-ROM is
>> set in the BIOS and then try again.
>>
>> Hope it helps.
>>

>> --
>> JonyBrv
>>

>> "bigj" wrote:
>>
>> > I have a laptop that gets a lsass.exe error on start up: "An invalid
>> > parameter was passed to a service or function." I have tried to start
>> > in the
>> > "safe mode" to no avail. I have tried to use the Windows XP cd to boot
>> > up
>> > the system.. no go. I have tried to use a disk that should let me log
>> > on and
>> > perform a stinger virus scan, again no luck. I'm unable to log onto
>> > the
>> > laptop to perform anykind of scan, or anything.
>> >
>> > Is there anyone out there that can help me with this problem?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 21, 2005 9:40:01 AM

I reset the BIOS to the default values. It appears that the Windows XP
CD-ROM that I have isn't bootable. I think its just the program that allows
for the installation of Windows XP. How can I create a boot CD? Or do you
have any other ideas on what I can do?
I really appreciate the help, but am beginning to wonder if I'm going to be
able to salvage the laptop?

"Jonybrv" wrote:

> Bigj, try resetting BIOS to its default values either within BIOS or using
> the RTC battery. Your product documentation should have the instructions
> --
> JonyBrv
>

> "bigj" wrote:
>
> > I pressed F2 and put CD-ROM at the top of the list for booting order. You
> > can hear and feel the CD-ROM spinning and the light on CD-ROM works, but then
> > goes off and seems to boot from the hard drive. Not sure what to do now.
> >

> > "Jonybrv" wrote:
> >
> > > Seems the Windows XP LSASS service is corrupted. This is should not stop you
> > > from booting a Windows XP CD. Make sure, you set the boot order for CD-ROM is
> > > set in the BIOS and then try again.
> > >
> > > Hope it helps.
> > >

> > > --
> > > JonyBrv

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 23, 2005 3:41:02 AM

I beleive all original XP CDs are bootable. not sure about upgrade CDs. If
you have access to a floppy drive, try creating Windows XP setup disks and
start the installation ( it should require 6 1.44MB floppies ). When it
prompts for XP CD insert it.

JonyBrv

"bigj" wrote:

> I reset the BIOS to the default values. It appears that the Windows XP
> CD-ROM that I have isn't bootable. I think its just the program that allows
> for the installation of Windows XP. How can I create a boot CD? Or do you
> have any other ideas on what I can do?
> I really appreciate the help, but am beginning to wonder if I'm going to be
> able to salvage the laptop?
>
> "Jonybrv" wrote:
>
> > Bigj, try resetting BIOS to its default values either within BIOS or using
> > the RTC battery. Your product documentation should have the instructions
> > --
> > JonyBrv
> >

> > "bigj" wrote:
> >
> > > I pressed F2 and put CD-ROM at the top of the list for booting order. You
> > > can hear and feel the CD-ROM spinning and the light on CD-ROM works, but then
> > > goes off and seems to boot from the hard drive. Not sure what to do now.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2005 11:34:05 AM

Hi

I am running XP Home Edition on a Packard Bell system. Every option in this
discussion I have tried and nothing works. The XP setup disks don't work
either. You may think you have done a successful recovery until the system
restarts and tries to load just prior to desktop loading or instead of; then
the dreaded error message is back. The message I receive is as follows:

An invalid parameter was passed to a service or extension when trying to
update a password. This indicates the password value provided as the current
password is not correct.

Yet when rebooting from either floppy or XP disk after selecting R for
repair and then selecting operating system, the enter password comes up and
continues successfully.

I have entered Bios via F2, reverted back to default settings, performed a
bios update from Packard Bell, you name it and still I cannot get onto my
computer.

There is one thing though. When I press F2 I have to enter password before
it will let me on. I have never had to do this before. Then inside Bios under
security the Check Password is set to 'Setup' with the only other option
being set at 'Always'. I am sure if I could get rid of the 'Check password at
setup' then I would not receive this error and would beable to log on to my
system. But how, that I don't know.

I am desperate now, I really need to get into my computer. I cannot run
safemode, although the files extract and I even get to my desktop then the
lsass.exe error appears and my system shuts down then starts back up again
every single time. This is the same for safemode with command prompt, with
networking, revert to last know configuration that worked, everything and I
just want to cry.

Someone must beable to tell us something. Surley the bios being set to check
password at startup has got something to do with it. I only hope i am not
clutching at straws. I have my last 4 years on that computer. Helpppp

Lisa04j

"Jonybrv" wrote:

> I beleive all original XP CDs are bootable. not sure about upgrade CDs. If
> you have access to a floppy drive, try creating Windows XP setup disks and
> start the installation ( it should require 6 1.44MB floppies ). When it
> prompts for XP CD insert it.

> JonyBrv
>

> "bigj" wrote:
>
> > I reset the BIOS to the default values. It appears that the Windows XP
> > CD-ROM that I have isn't bootable. I think its just the program that allows
> > for the installation of Windows XP. How can I create a boot CD? Or do you
> > have any other ideas on what I can do?
> > I really appreciate the help, but am beginning to wonder if I'm going to be
> > able to salvage the laptop?
> >
> > "Jonybrv" wrote:
> >
> > > Bigj, try resetting BIOS to its default values either within BIOS or using
> > > the RTC battery. Your product documentation should have the instructions
> > > --
> > > JonyBrv

June 30, 2005 2:49:13 AM

Lisa04j wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am running XP Home Edition on a Packard Bell system. Every option in this
> discussion I have tried and nothing works. The XP setup disks don't work
> either. You may think you have done a successful recovery until the system
> restarts and tries to load just prior to desktop loading or instead of; then
> the dreaded error message is back. The message I receive is as follows:
>
> An invalid parameter was passed to a service or extension when trying to
> update a password. This indicates the password value provided as the current
> password is not correct.
>
> Yet when rebooting from either floppy or XP disk after selecting R for
> repair and then selecting operating system, the enter password comes up and
> continues successfully.
>
> I have entered Bios via F2, reverted back to default settings, performed a
> bios update from Packard Bell, you name it and still I cannot get onto my
> computer.
>
> There is one thing though. When I press F2 I have to enter password before
> it will let me on. I have never had to do this before. Then inside Bios under
> security the Check Password is set to 'Setup' with the only other option
> being set at 'Always'. I am sure if I could get rid of the 'Check password at
> setup' then I would not receive this error and would beable to log on to my
> system. But how, that I don't know.
>
> I am desperate now, I really need to get into my computer. I cannot run
> safemode, although the files extract and I even get to my desktop then the
> lsass.exe error appears and my system shuts down then starts back up again
> every single time. This is the same for safemode with command prompt, with
> networking, revert to last know configuration that worked, everything and I
> just want to cry.
>
> Someone must beable to tell us something. Surley the bios being set to check
> password at startup has got something to do with it. I only hope i am not
> clutching at straws. I have my last 4 years on that computer. Helpppp
>
> Lisa04j

To recover your data put the drive in another XP or win2k computer as a
slave drive and copy the critical data. Then do a clean install of XP:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html. Programs will need
to be installed from original media. Restore the data from the copy you
made.

Next time make sure you always have a full and complete backup of data.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hi

Thanks for the advice, I didn't think of trying that to recover data. Only
problem is I do not have access to another computer running XP or 2k. Only 98
SE.

Would you have any idea what the exact cause of this error message was? Just
curious, since searching for information and help on various sites it does
seem to be quite common. At the time I received the error message I had just
performed a driver update to the nVidia MX/400 display driver on my computer.

Does the last bit of imformation alter the answer to the reply you gave me
concerning the clean install? May I also add an update since my posting, in
the bios settings (F2) the advanced options box has disappeared and the (F5)
option 'Restore Default Settings'. ???

Thanks again for your time.

"Rock" wrote:

> Lisa04j wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I am running XP Home Edition on a Packard Bell system. Every option in this
> > discussion I have tried and nothing works. The XP setup disks don't work
> > either. You may think you have done a successful recovery until the system
> > restarts and tries to load just prior to desktop loading or instead of; then
> > the dreaded error message is back. The message I receive is as follows:
> >
> > An invalid parameter was passed to a service or extension when trying to
> > update a password. This indicates the password value provided as the current
> > password is not correct.
> >
> > Yet when rebooting from either floppy or XP disk after selecting R for
> > repair and then selecting operating system, the enter password comes up and
> > continues successfully.
> >
> > I have entered Bios via F2, reverted back to default settings, performed a
> > bios update from Packard Bell, you name it and still I cannot get onto my
> > computer.
> >
> > There is one thing though. When I press F2 I have to enter password before
> > it will let me on. I have never had to do this before. Then inside Bios under
> > security the Check Password is set to 'Setup' with the only other option
> > being set at 'Always'. I am sure if I could get rid of the 'Check password at
> > setup' then I would not receive this error and would beable to log on to my
> > system. But how, that I don't know.
> >
> > I am desperate now, I really need to get into my computer. I cannot run
> > safemode, although the files extract and I even get to my desktop then the
> > lsass.exe error appears and my system shuts down then starts back up again
> > every single time. This is the same for safemode with command prompt, with
> > networking, revert to last know configuration that worked, everything and I
> > just want to cry.
> >
> > Someone must beable to tell us something. Surley the bios being set to check
> > password at startup has got something to do with it. I only hope i am not
> > clutching at straws. I have my last 4 years on that computer. Helpppp
> >
> > Lisa04j
> >

> To recover your data put the drive in another XP or win2k computer as a
> slave drive and copy the critical data. Then do a clean install of XP:
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html. Programs will need
> to be installed from original media. Restore the data from the copy you
> made.
>
> Next time make sure you always have a full and complete backup of data.
>

> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

July 1, 2005 2:16:33 AM

Lisa04j wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks for the advice, I didn't think of trying that to recover data. Only
> problem is I do not have access to another computer running XP or 2k. Only 98
> SE.
>
> Would you have any idea what the exact cause of this error message was? Just
> curious, since searching for information and help on various sites it does
> seem to be quite common. At the time I received the error message I had just
> performed a driver update to the nVidia MX/400 display driver on my computer.
>
> Does the last bit of imformation alter the answer to the reply you gave me
> concerning the clean install? May I also add an update since my posting, in
> the bios settings (F2) the advanced options box has disappeared and the (F5)
> option 'Restore Default Settings'. ???
>
> Thanks again for your time.

I can't tell you what causes this error or if the video driver udpate
did. One thing to keep in mind - never get driver updates from the
Windows Update site. Only get them from the device manufacturer's web
site and then only if it's known to fix a problem you have or it has a
new feature that is a must have. In other words if it's not broken
don't fix it. If a driver update hoses your system and you can boot the
system do a driver rollback from device manager.

Don't you know anyone who has an XP or win2k system that you can ask to
use for a little while to slave your drive in? Bring the hard drive to
them.

Another option, if you have 2 CD drives in the problem computer, one of
which is a CD burner, is to download a Linux distro called Knoppix. Use
the *.iso file to create a bootable Knoppix CD. This can be done from
an 98SE computer and a burning program.

Then boot your system with this CD and use the k3b program to burn the
important data to CD-R. After that do the clean install as I indicated
earlier, and reinstall programs and data. Good luck and you're welcome.

http://www.knoppix.net/

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hi "Rock"

I think I am going to have to admit defeat on this one. Everything is
against me.

Although I do have the CD drives to perform your latest suggestion, my
problem computer (that's an understatement) has now decided it doesn't want
to boot from either CD or Floppy. 'Non system disk error, remove disk from
drive and press any key to continue'. That's the latest error message...

Neither do I have access to another Xp or 2K computer. It's my daughter's
computer I am using for these postings and as I mentioned before it runs 98
SE. I was going to ugrade it to XP but apparently it cannot be done on a 98
SE system. Is this right?
Can a 98 SE be ugraded to 2K? Sorry about all the questions, but my eyes are
really starting to strain with the searching and reading of text from help
and support sites...

Lastly, (but by no means least) thanks for the tip regarding driver updates
from Windows Update. I know a fair bit but not this one. You automatically
think your safe if it's coming from the update site. However on this
occassion I did acquire the nVidia driver from the nVidia site, the reason
was the quality of display I was receiving was poor. (Not clear, and hazy).

Anyway, your a star and thanks again.

Will let you know how I get on. I do believe I will need all the luck in the
world...

Lisa

"Rock" wrote:

> Lisa04j wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Thanks for the advice, I didn't think of trying that to recover data. Only
> > problem is I do not have access to another computer running XP or 2k. Only 98
> > SE.
> >
> > Would you have any idea what the exact cause of this error message was? Just
> > curious, since searching for information and help on various sites it does
> > seem to be quite common. At the time I received the error message I had just
> > performed a driver update to the nVidia MX/400 display driver on my computer.
> >
> > Does the last bit of imformation alter the answer to the reply you gave me
> > concerning the clean install? May I also add an update since my posting, in
> > the bios settings (F2) the advanced options box has disappeared and the (F5)
> > option 'Restore Default Settings'. ???
> >
> > Thanks again for your time.
> >

> I can't tell you what causes this error or if the video driver udpate
> did. One thing to keep in mind - never get driver updates from the
> Windows Update site. Only get them from the device manufacturer's web
> site and then only if it's known to fix a problem you have or it has a
> new feature that is a must have. In other words if it's not broken
> don't fix it. If a driver update hoses your system and you can boot the
> system do a driver rollback from device manager.
>
> Don't you know anyone who has an XP or win2k system that you can ask to
> use for a little while to slave your drive in? Bring the hard drive to
> them.
>
> Another option, if you have 2 CD drives in the problem computer, one of
> which is a CD burner, is to download a Linux distro called Knoppix. Use
> the *.iso file to create a bootable Knoppix CD. This can be done from
> an 98SE computer and a burning program.
>
> Then boot your system with this CD and use the k3b program to burn the
> important data to CD-R. After that do the clean install as I indicated
> earlier, and reinstall programs and data. Good luck and you're welcome.
>
> http://www.knoppix.net/
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

July 2, 2005 2:05:40 AM

Lisa04j wrote:

> Hi "Rock"
>
> I think I am going to have to admit defeat on this one. Everything is
> against me.
>
> Although I do have the CD drives to perform your latest suggestion, my
> problem computer (that's an understatement) has now decided it doesn't want
> to boot from either CD or Floppy. 'Non system disk error, remove disk from
> drive and press any key to continue'. That's the latest error message...

Did you go into the BIOS and set the boot order so that the CD is the
first one in the boot order?

> Neither do I have access to another Xp or 2K computer. It's my daughter's
> computer I am using for these postings and as I mentioned before it runs 98
> SE. I was going to ugrade it to XP but apparently it cannot be done on a 98
> SE system. Is this right?
> Can a 98 SE be ugraded to 2K? Sorry about all the questions, but my eyes are
> really starting to strain with the searching and reading of text from help
> and support sites...

Yes you can upgrade 98SE to XP. Make sure the computer has the hardware
to support XP though. Run the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor. Here is a
link with info on doing an upgrade.

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

Another option is to setup the 98SE computer as a dual boot, installing
XP to it's own partition.

How to create a multiple-boot system in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306559

> Lastly, (but by no means least) thanks for the tip regarding driver updates
> from Windows Update. I know a fair bit but not this one. You automatically
> think your safe if it's coming from the update site. However on this
> occassion I did acquire the nVidia driver from the nVidia site, the reason
> was the quality of display I was receiving was poor. (Not clear, and hazy).
>
> Anyway, your a star and thanks again.

You're welcome. Post back with your progress.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hi "Rock"

Defeat has never been in my nature, I have cracked it and am so pleased. I
installed new copy of XP on my computer and I also managed to recover all of
my data as well, which I am well pleased about. The only draw back was having
to reinstall all of my programs. But now it's done I am in a way pleased
because, I recovered all my data, have a clean install of XP, and have all
the space back on my hard drive therefore computer is running faster (much
faster due to a nearly full 80GB Drive before).

I also performed an upgrade to the 98SE computer to Windows XP Home Edition.
Reformatted the hard drive and file system and the upgrade went smoothly with
no problems. Installed wireless network so now my daughter has her own
computer up and running with her own internet connection.

All in all a goods days work.

Can't thank you enough for your advice

Cheers and best wishes

Lisa

"Rock" wrote:

> Lisa04j wrote:
>
> > Hi "Rock"
> >
> > I think I am going to have to admit defeat on this one. Everything is
> > against me.
> >
> > Although I do have the CD drives to perform your latest suggestion, my
> > problem computer (that's an understatement) has now decided it doesn't want
> > to boot from either CD or Floppy. 'Non system disk error, remove disk from
> > drive and press any key to continue'. That's the latest error message...
>
> Did you go into the BIOS and set the boot order so that the CD is the
> first one in the boot order?
>
> > Neither do I have access to another Xp or 2K computer. It's my daughter's
> > computer I am using for these postings and as I mentioned before it runs 98
> > SE. I was going to ugrade it to XP but apparently it cannot be done on a 98
> > SE system. Is this right?
> > Can a 98 SE be ugraded to 2K? Sorry about all the questions, but my eyes are
> > really starting to strain with the searching and reading of text from help
> > and support sites...
>
> Yes you can upgrade 98SE to XP. Make sure the computer has the hardware
> to support XP though. Run the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor. Here is a
> link with info on doing an upgrade.
>
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
>
> Another option is to setup the 98SE computer as a dual boot, installing
> XP to it's own partition.
>
> How to create a multiple-boot system in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306559
>

> > Lastly, (but by no means least) thanks for the tip regarding driver updates
> > from Windows Update. I know a fair bit but not this one. You automatically
> > think your safe if it's coming from the update site. However on this
> > occassion I did acquire the nVidia driver from the nVidia site, the reason
> > was the quality of display I was receiving was poor. (Not clear, and hazy).
> >
> > Anyway, your a star and thanks again.
>
> You're welcome. Post back with your progress.
>

> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

July 12, 2005 6:33:23 PM

Lisa04j wrote:
> Hi "Rock"
>
> Defeat has never been in my nature, I have cracked it and am so pleased. I
> installed new copy of XP on my computer and I also managed to recover all of
> my data as well, which I am well pleased about. The only draw back was having
> to reinstall all of my programs. But now it's done I am in a way pleased
> because, I recovered all my data, have a clean install of XP, and have all
> the space back on my hard drive therefore computer is running faster (much
> faster due to a nearly full 80GB Drive before).
>
> I also performed an upgrade to the 98SE computer to Windows XP Home Edition.
> Reformatted the hard drive and file system and the upgrade went smoothly with
> no problems. Installed wireless network so now my daughter has her own
> computer up and running with her own internet connection.
>
> All in all a goods days work.
>
> Can't thank you enough for your advice
>
> Cheers and best wishes
>
> Lisa

That's great to hear Lisa, and thanks for posting back.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User