Closed Solved

Should I return the Win 7 OEM I bought online?

Just bought 64-bit Windows 7 OEM online. This wasn't mentioned anywhere when I bought it but I can see printed on the disk through the clear window on the sealed envelope that it is Dell-branded. It also states: "For Distribution Only With a New Dell PC."

I'm new at this and I am trying to put together my first build. Is it normal for Windows OEM software to come with Dell's or some other company's branding? Is this legal? Should I return this? If I use this in my new build will it work? If it does work, what, if any, differences will there be; for example, I assume I'll get a Dell splash screen, but what else? And would there be any way of permanently removing all branding?

I'd like to get these questions answered before I break the seal on the envelope it came in.

Thank you,
JP
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about should return bought online
  1. For Distribution Only With a New Dell PC. < it's only a legal install on a dell windows 7 licensed pc.
  2. Just bought 64-bit Windows 7 OEM online. < auction site or retailer?
  3. Best answer
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

This is what you should have bought ^

$79.99 with this coupon > EMCYTZT2082 :D
  4. Hi :)

ONLY Dell are allowed to sell those discs...so YES ITS ILLEGAL....if you get any hassle returning it for a FULL refund, tell them you will have a chat with Microsofts Piracy line...

That should make them pay attention...lol

All the best Brett :)
  5. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

ONLY Dell are allowed to sell those discs...so YES ITS ILLEGAL....if you get any hassle returning it for a FULL refund, tell them you will have a chat with Microsofts Piracy line...

That should make them pay attention...lol

All the best Brett :)

I was just wondering about that as it was purchased from a retailer who I now see has a no-return policy. So thanks for that advice; that's exactly what I'll do.

Best regards,
    JP
  6. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

This is what you should have bought ^

$79.99 with this coupon > EMCYTZT2082 :D

Answers and a coupon, now that's the best answer.

Thanks Area51,
    JP
  7. No returns because they sell illegal software.
  8. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
  9. Best answer selected by jpatth.
  10. Your welcome and have a great day!
Ask a new question

Read More

Dell OEM Windows 7 Product