recovering hard drive space

I just bought an addtional hard drive to store back-ups. Within a week the
200GB drive was full. I had been deleting the old backups. Today I noticed
when I deleted the backup files; I'm asked "are you sure, this file is too
big and will be permentantly deleted." I say yes, but the space that was
taked-up by the files is still unavailable. I perform disk cleanup and
defrag. The space is still not available. I totaled all the spaced used by
the current list of files. It comes to 94GB. The rest should be available.

I tried this exercise on another non-bootable disk by copying a large video
(4GB), then deleted it. The same result.

I'm using XP Pro SP2.
--
Jim Fidler
2 answers Last reply

    Empty your "Norton" recycle bin as well as the Windows recycle bin to
    reclaim your hard drive space.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    "Jim Fidler" <JimFidler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just bought an addtional hard drive to store back-ups. Within a week the
    > 200GB drive was full. I had been deleting the old backups. Today I
    > noticed
    > when I deleted the backup files; I'm asked "are you sure, this file is too
    > big and will be permentantly deleted." I say yes, but the space that was
    > taked-up by the files is still unavailable. I perform disk cleanup and
    > defrag. The space is still not available. I totaled all the spaced used
    > by
    > the current list of files. It comes to 94GB. The rest should be
    > available.
    >
    > I tried this exercise on another non-bootable disk by copying a large
    > video
    > (4GB), then deleted it. The same result.
    >
    > I'm using XP Pro SP2.
    > --
    > Jim Fidler

    Check have you empty the Recycle Bin and the Recycle Bin Properies on space
    reserved for that drive!

    S.

Hard Drives Windows XP