Sign in with
Your question

ECC Registered Ram?

Last response: in Memory
March 18, 2004 11:45:05 PM

Can someone explaind the diffrence between ECC Reg and Non reg? I dont really understand the diffrence.

um... also i wanted to get more ram for my computer but i dont know what to get. I wanted to get some from newegg because i trust them so anyhow heres my computer specs.

A7n8x dlx (uber bios 1.4)
2400+ "B" T-bred @ 2.241
2x256 pc-3200 (vdata-industrial) 2-2-2-5
9800pro 128

yea about the ram i have right now, i dont know them, my friend bought them for me so i dont know anything about them, i just know they could overclock easily. but now that im running so many programs at once now i needed more Ram so now im looking for 1gig of ram that would be able to clock to those speeds. and i probably would spend about 250.

i was thinking about these: Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Platinum Series (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) - Retail

but i dont know how well they'll perform.... so can i get some help please ^____^ thanks

oh yea, im just still learning about computers so please dont flame me >.<

More about : ecc registered ram

March 19, 2004 7:06:22 PM

Forget about the ECC ram, it stands for error correction something. I'm pretty sure it's not for your board.

You moght wanna consider saving some money and just buying one stick of 512mb to bring total up to one gig. There is a recommended way of doing it with the dual channel thingy, I can't remeber cuz I'm runnin 98se and 512mb is enough (and I'd have to do patches etc. to get 98se to recognize it etc.)

If your interested in only adding the one stick of 512 (to bring total to one gig) and need help on which slots etc you could go look at nForcersHQ.com (navigate to Asus forum you prolly find it with a search, or just post the ?)

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
9600 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE
March 21, 2004 4:12:12 PM

Just to answer your question about what ECC and what Registered memory are...

They are two different things. Normally Registered memory will also have ECC. (Error Correction Code or Error Correcting Code) ECC is a parity bit check that resolves one bit errors. If you are using a home PC or gaming platform you most likely will not need ECC. The difference in performance is between 0% and 3% depending on the memory type. Normally closer to 0% with most modern forms of memory.

You will only need Registered memory if you are using a server board or for the AMD FX platform. Registered memory is for large amounts of RAM. say 2GB and higher across many banks. With the larger banks and densities (Capacities) the signal from the memory controller can become distorted from the load. A buffer is used with a one clock delay to minimize the load and thus the signal distortion. (Bad signal = missed clocks = bad or no performance)

Just remember them as two features that can be on memory.

Got a LAN Party that you want people to know about?

Let me know about it. :smile:
!