chrisdm

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
Hi,

I am looking at buying a TFT since I am moving
away from my notebook(travelmate 800) to a regular computer.

Before that I was using a 19" and a 17"
with a matrox G450 card.

Now, I don't care much about games I "occasionally" watch
a DVD but other than that I am mostly doing DTP/CAD/PS/Programming.

I loved my dual screen setup, but now I am at the
point to decide weather I would buy a Dell 2001, a Dell 2005
or just two 19" TFT's (dunno which brand though) ?

Can anyone recommend something considering
the above points ?

Thanks!

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
If you like the dual monitor setup and your budget can stand about $740 or so then two of <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-179-014&depa=1" target="_new">these </A> from newegg may be sufficient. However there are changes happening every day in this market.
Personnally, I prefer a single set up and from what I have read (very recently I might add - right here in other threads on this forum) either of the Dells you mention are pretty darn good as well, maybe even better color wise.

chrisdm

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
Looks like pretty much any 19" has that as a native
resolution ?

While programming takes probably 90% of my
time I don't really like the sound that.

I assume the Dell 2100 is better regarding that?

chrisdm

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
Oh no, it looks like today is the last day Dell is doing
a 20% off of the 2100. I'll have to decide fast =/

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
Well, I've done some testing in this area and found that the distortion, although theoretically correct, in practice isn't too significant. All circles created on 1.25:1 panels don't look like ovals in 1.33:1 environments. That's simply not the case. I will try to dig up the linked articals I found on the topic to support my assertion as well as other points of view on the topic.

asgallant

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
that would be the case if you were displaying a 4:3 resolution on a screen whose physical dimensions were other than 4:3; the image would be stretched or compressed in one or both dimensions to fit the available space. However, if the screen you are using has a 4:3 physical aspect ratio, then your picture will not be distorted. Since LCD's are designed with one specific resolution in mind (1280x1024 typically for 17" or 19" monitors) the manufacturers would deliberately have to design the monitor with a different physical aspect ratio for this effect to be seen.

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
I would be willing to participate in a test if any folks are interested.
I propose the creation of a series of TBD geometric shapes (2D & possibly 3D) that will be rendered in 1.25:1 using PhotoShop and somthing like DAZ. I would be willing to host the series on my website for viewers of all resolutions to test out how significant this theoretical distortion really is.

Still looking for those atricles......