Change XP key for valid key

June 21, 2005 6:53:20 PM

A friend has a pre-loaded installation of XP Prof, but it appears it may be
invalid.

She has bought a retail version of XP Prof. I seem to recall seeing here
(or similar MS newsgroup) and MVP making reference to a utility or method of
changing the the key to the valid one to avoid uninstalling the suspect XP
and clean installing the legitimate version.

Ideas? Pointers?

TIA

Pemo

--
,-._|\
/ Oz \ Melbourne

More about : change key valid key

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 6:53:21 PM

Such a method is not a recommended one. To get the benefit of a retail XP
pro, perform a clean install. If you are helping your friend to keep the
files intact, back them up.

When you have a valid copy why do you still want to have the other one.

--
JonyBrv

"Pemo" wrote:

> A friend has a pre-loaded installation of XP Prof, but it appears it may be
> invalid.
>
> She has bought a retail version of XP Prof. I seem to recall seeing here
> (or similar MS newsgroup) and MVP making reference to a utility or method of
> changing the the key to the valid one to avoid uninstalling the suspect XP
> and clean installing the legitimate version.
>
> Ideas? Pointers?
>
> TIA
>
> Pemo
>
> --
> ,-._|\
> / Oz \ Melbourne
> \_,--.x/ Australia

June 21, 2005 6:53:21 PM

The information on this link will help you identify if the installed version
is pirated or not:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/invalpk.htm
If so, there is also the necessary information needed to install the retail
version.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Pemo" <pemo_832@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>A friend has a pre-loaded installation of XP Prof, but it appears it may be
>invalid.
>
> She has bought a retail version of XP Prof. I seem to recall seeing here
> (or similar MS newsgroup) and MVP making reference to a utility or method
> of changing the the key to the valid one to avoid uninstalling the suspect
> XP and clean installing the legitimate version.
>
> Ideas? Pointers?
>
> TIA
>
> Pemo
>
> --
> ,-._|\
> / Oz \ Melbourne
> \_,--.x/ Australia
June 21, 2005 6:53:21 PM

Run a repair install. That will fix the key problem.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Pemo" <pemo_832@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>A friend has a pre-loaded installation of XP Prof, but it appears it may be
>invalid.
>
> She has bought a retail version of XP Prof. I seem to recall seeing here
> (or similar MS newsgroup) and MVP making reference to a utility or method
> of changing the the key to the valid one to avoid uninstalling the suspect
> XP and clean installing the legitimate version.
>
> Ideas? Pointers?
>
> TIA
>
> Pemo
>
> --
> ,-._|\
> / Oz \ Melbourne
> \_,--.x/ Australia

June 21, 2005 6:53:22 PM

This is incorrect. A repair installation with the retail version over the
preinstalled one will give the full benefits of the retail version.

What needs to be done, if it is indeed determined to be illegitimate, is a
repair installation:

But, I question whether or not it is. A preinstalled system that comes from
a retail outlet is not likely to be pirated. I'd like to know more about her
circumstances before recommending that she purchase a legit version and go
through the hassle of a repair installation.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jonybrv" <Jonybrv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Such a method is not a recommended one. To get the benefit of a retail XP
> pro, perform a clean install. If you are helping your friend to keep the
> files intact, back them up.
>
> When you have a valid copy why do you still want to have the other one.
>
> --
> JonyBrv
>

> "Pemo" wrote:
>
>> A friend has a pre-loaded installation of XP Prof, but it appears it may
>> be
>> invalid.
>>
>> She has bought a retail version of XP Prof. I seem to recall seeing here
>> (or similar MS newsgroup) and MVP making reference to a utility or method
>> of
>> changing the the key to the valid one to avoid uninstalling the suspect
>> XP
>> and clean installing the legitimate version.
>>
>> Ideas? Pointers?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Pemo
>>
>> --
>> ,-._|\
>> / Oz \ Melbourne
>> \_,--.x/ Australia

June 21, 2005 10:42:37 PM

Pemo wrote:
> A friend has a pre-loaded installation of XP Prof, but it appears it may be
> invalid.
>
> She has bought a retail version of XP Prof. I seem to recall seeing here
> (or similar MS newsgroup) and MVP making reference to a utility or method of
> changing the the key to the valid one to avoid uninstalling the suspect XP
> and clean installing the legitimate version.
>
> Ideas? Pointers?
>
> TIA
>
> Pemo

If she's trying to install a WinXP Service Pack and getting the
following:

The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q326904

She'll need to purchase and use a _legitimate_ full retail copy of
WinXP Pro to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation,
using the new CD and Product Key.

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q315341

Additionally, she should also report whomever sold her the pirated
software to the pertinent law enforcement agencies; She's been defrauded.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 1:50:52 AM

Read the post properly Stupider, and what should Pemo's lady friend do if
the "suspect XP" is not legitimate? Report it to Bruce Chambers?

-Winux P

> The information on this link will help you identify if the installed
> version is pirated or not:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/invalpk.htm
> If so, there is also the necessary information needed to install the
> retail version.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Pemo" <pemo_832@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>A friend has a pre-loaded installation of XP Prof, but it appears it may
>>be invalid.
>>
>> She has bought a retail version of XP Prof. I seem to recall seeing here
>> (or similar MS newsgroup) and MVP making reference to a utility or method
>> of changing the the key to the valid one to avoid uninstalling the
>> suspect XP and clean installing the legitimate version.
>>
>> Ideas? Pointers?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Pemo
>>
>> --
>> ,-._|\
>> / Oz \ Melbourne
>> \_,--.x/ Australia

June 22, 2005 1:50:53 AM

Obviously you did not read the link in my post.
You should read a post before commenting even if your only desire is to
fulfill your need for insults.
Can you contribute or are you limited to insulting others?

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"Winux P" <winuxp@msnews.grp> wrote in message

> Read the post properly Stupider, and what should Pemo's lady friend do if
> the "suspect XP" is not legitimate? Report it to Bruce Chambers?
>
> -Winux P
June 22, 2005 8:01:13 AM

Leif Nordmand Andersen wrote on Wed, 22 Jun 2005:

>Hi Pemo
>

>>Ideas? Pointers?
>
>I'm surprised noone has pointed you to the official way of doing it.
>
>I've done it on several occasions, no reinstallation, no loss of data.
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328874

Hmm Leif, I thought that method was only for replacing one XP Corporate
key with another Corporate key. I read somewhere that it wouldn't work
with the key from a new retail version. But are you saying you've done
it? If it does work it would be very useful to know.

--
Nightowl
Anonymous

There is no such thing as "Corporate".
That is a name often used by those with stolen licenses of Volume License.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
> Hmm Leif, I thought that method was only for replacing one XP Corporate
> key with another Corporate key. I read somewhere that it wouldn't work
> with the key from a new retail version. But are you saying you've done
> it? If it does work it would be very useful to know.
>
> --
> Nightowl
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 8:29:30 AM

Hi Pemo

>Ideas? Pointers?

I'm surprised noone has pointed you to the official way of doing it.

I've done it on several occasions, no reinstallation, no loss of data.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328874

Regards Leif.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 8:29:31 AM

Leif;
That will only work if both are Volume License versions.
Usually in this case, the original is Volume License and the new will be
retail.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"Leif Nordmand Andersen" <lna@flashmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Pemo
>

>>Ideas? Pointers?
>
> I'm surprised noone has pointed you to the official way of doing it.
>
> I've done it on several occasions, no reinstallation, no loss of data.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328874
>
> Regards Leif.
June 22, 2005 12:33:53 PM

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote on Tue, 21 Jun 2005:

>There is no such thing as "Corporate".
>That is a name often used by those with stolen licenses of Volume License.

Well, that's what it was called on the website where I read about the
procedure. It wasn't written for thieves, either, but rather for
companies who may have set up a number of computers from an image and
now need to give each machine its individual key.

Perhaps it's just a difference in vocabulary between the US and UK :-)
I stand corrected, anyway.

--
Nightowl
Anonymous

Nightowl wrote:

> Hmm Leif, I thought that method was only for replacing one XP Corporate
> key with another Corporate key.

You're quite correct. (Except that there's no such thing as a
"Corporate Edition.) The procedure in that KB Article applies to Volume
Licensed versions of WinXP Pro.

> I read somewhere that it wouldn't work
> with the key from a new retail version.

Correct again.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 12:46:51 AM

Thanks to all.

It seems that the suspect version may be a Volume Licence (colloquially aka
Corporate). She has since purchased a retail version, and it is the
legitimising of the installation that is the issue.

Is she looking at a full install, or will the "repair" install do it? And
will the standard activation work, or is there anything that should be
deleted?

In relation to the original retailer - shop has changed hands and the
current operator has a huge shrug and "I don't know nuffin".

Thanks

Pemo

--
,-._|\
/ Oz \ Melbourne

> Leif;
> That will only work if both are Volume License versions.
> Usually in this case, the original is Volume License and the new will be
> retail.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Leif Nordmand Andersen" <lna@flashmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Pemo
>>

>>>Ideas? Pointers?
>>
>> I'm surprised noone has pointed you to the official way of doing it.
>>
>> I've done it on several occasions, no reinstallation, no loss of data.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328874
>>
>> Regards Leif.

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 12:46:52 AM

A Repair Installation will suffice.
Activation will be necessary after completion.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

> Thanks to all.
>
> It seems that the suspect version may be a Volume Licence (colloquially
> aka Corporate). She has since purchased a retail version, and it is the
> legitimising of the installation that is the issue.
>
> Is she looking at a full install, or will the "repair" install do it? And
> will the standard activation work, or is there anything that should be
> deleted?
>
> In relation to the original retailer - shop has changed hands and the
> current operator has a huge shrug and "I don't know nuffin".
>
> Thanks
>
> Pemo
>
> --
> ,-._|\
> / Oz \ Melbourne
> \_,--.x/ Australia
>

> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
>> Leif;
>> That will only work if both are Volume License versions.
>> Usually in this case, the original is Volume License and the new will be
>> retail.
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> http://www.dts-l.org
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 3:16:54 AM

Hi,

>Hmm Leif, I thought that method was only for replacing one XP Corporate
>key with another Corporate key. I read somewhere that it wouldn't work
>with the key from a new retail version. But are you saying you've done
>it? If it does work it would be very useful to know.

Actually .... you might be right.

I've not tried it at home only at work.

I'll have to give it a try on a single installation

Regards Leif
!