Start Menu Ordering Bug

June 21, 2005 10:09:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

i have the alphabetic start menu setting turned off
i drag my shortcuts into the desired order
windows resets it to alphabetic order

how do i prevent this from happening and get it to keep the order i want

windows xp sp2
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 10:09:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

start/run, type: %userprofile%/start menu/programs

Use the View menu to set to Details view, then click a column header to sort as desired

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Mark" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:o a2i6eidFHA.1600@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>i have the alphabetic start menu setting turned off
> i drag my shortcuts into the desired order
> windows resets it to alphabetic order
>
> how do i prevent this from happening and get it to keep the order i want
>
> windows xp sp2

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 10:09:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Where do you have the alphabetic start menu setting turned off?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:o a2i6eidFHA.1600@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Mark <noone@nowhere.com> hunted and pecked:
> i have the alphabetic start menu setting turned off
> i drag my shortcuts into the desired order
> windows resets it to alphabetic order
>
> how do i prevent this from happening and get it to keep the order i want
>
> windows xp sp2
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 22, 2005 1:57:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

my apologies - this is actually a button within x-setup pro to sort your all
your start menus into alphabetic order...thats what happens when you rely on
memory...

none the less i drag my shortcuts within the start menu into the order i
want and then at some later stage they are back in alphabetic order...

> Where do you have the alphabetic start menu setting turned off?
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:o a2i6eidFHA.1600@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Mark <noone@nowhere.com> hunted and pecked:
>> i have the alphabetic start menu setting turned off
>> i drag my shortcuts into the desired order
>> windows resets it to alphabetic order
>>
>> how do i prevent this from happening and get it to keep the order i want
>>
>> windows xp sp2
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 1:57:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Mark,

Then x-setup pro is the problem. Whatever x-setup pro is.

http://www.x-setup.net/

I suggest that you ask the makers of x-setup pro what the problem is

*Without* x-setup pro, the way that your sort your Start Menu alphabetically
is to right click the Start Menu and select Sort by Name.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:o jsyVuqdFHA.3280@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Mark <noone@nowhere.com> hunted and pecked:
> my apologies - this is actually a button within x-setup pro to sort your
> all your start menus into alphabetic order...thats what happens when you
> rely on memory...
>
> none the less i drag my shortcuts within the start menu into the order i
> want and then at some later stage they are back in alphabetic order...

>> Where do you have the alphabetic start menu setting turned off?
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:o a2i6eidFHA.1600@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> Mark <noone@nowhere.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> i have the alphabetic start menu setting turned off
>>> i drag my shortcuts into the desired order
>>> windows resets it to alphabetic order
>>>
>>> how do i prevent this from happening and get it to keep the order i want
>>>
>>> windows xp sp2
June 22, 2005 1:58:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

thanks for the reply - but not what i wanted...

i drag the shortcuts within the start menu into an arbitary order

"Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> start/run, type: %userprofile%/start menu/programs
>
> Use the View menu to set to Details view, then click a column header to
> sort as desired
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> FAQ for Windows Antispy
> "Mark" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:o a2i6eidFHA.1600@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>i have the alphabetic start menu setting turned off
>> i drag my shortcuts into the desired order
>> windows resets it to alphabetic order
>>
>> how do i prevent this from happening and get it to keep the order i want
>>
>> windows xp sp2

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 6:38:33 AM

Mark wrote:

> my apologies - this is actually a button within x-setup pro to sort your all
> your start menus into alphabetic order...thats what happens when you rely on
> memory...
>
> none the less i drag my shortcuts within the start menu into the order i
> want and then at some later stage they are back in alphabetic order...

Well, the menu is sorted away from the alphbetical order according to
[HCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start
Menu\Programs]
Deleting that key is most probaly what that X-Setup Pro function does,
and maybe you have some housekeeping software that deletes it that key
at other times, i don't know.
(Old references to uninstalled software will often be found under that
key, so potentially a regcleaner could just wipe the key as a preemtive
strike.)

Anyways, WinXP messes with your shortcuts on the desktop and in that
menu hides them from you because *it* has decided you don't need to have
them where you intentionally put them. And the Start:p rograms submenu is
the playground of every installer putting links in there the way the
softwaredeveloper decided (ok, sometimes letting you put in a word).
To me that hirearchy is to volatile, not making *me* in charge, so elow
follows a tip for what i do.

(I'm not using the /Start menu/ but the /Classic Start menu/ instead,)
and in my experience the area above the delimiter above the Programs
menu is rarely messed with so after having moved away the few items
originally placed there, after i install some software i make copies of
the shortcuts i will use and arranges them there in the order and into
submenues as fits my style. Drag-n-Drop or use the folderpaths:
"%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\" (for all users pleasure) or
"%UserProfile%\Start Menu\" (to be seen by current user only)

--
Global Fund for Mergers and Acquisitions
1203 Foley Square

Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.
June 24, 2005 3:17:26 PM

"... et al." <look@sig.bcause.this.is.invalid> wrote in message
> Mark wrote:
>
>> my apologies - this is actually a button within x-setup pro to sort your
>> all your start menus into alphabetic order...thats what happens when you
>> rely on memory...
>>
>> none the less i drag my shortcuts within the start menu into the order i
>> want and then at some later stage they are back in alphabetic order...
>
> Well, the menu is sorted away from the alphbetical order according to
> [HCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start
> Menu\Programs]
yes - it seems though that when you are running the xp start menu as opposed
to the classic it ignores this key

> Deleting that key is most probaly what that X-Setup Pro function does, and
> maybe you have some housekeeping software that deletes it that key at
> other times, i don't know.
i suspect so - although i never used that function (and i have now
uninstalled x-setup pro) - x-etup is not the problem

> (Old references to uninstalled software will often be found under that
> key, so potentially a regcleaner could just wipe the key as a preemtive
> strike.)
>
> Anyways, WinXP messes with your shortcuts on the desktop and in that menu
> hides them from you because *it* has decided you don't need to have them
> where you intentionally put them. And the Start:p rograms submenu is the
> playground of every installer putting links in there the way the
> softwaredeveloper decided (ok, sometimes letting you put in a word).
> To me that hirearchy is to volatile, not making *me* in charge, so elow
> follows a tip for what i do.
lets not get started on that one...i could whinge on for days about that!
:-)

> (I'm not using the /Start menu/ but the /Classic Start menu/ instead,)
> and in my experience the area above the delimiter above the Programs menu
> is rarely messed with so after having moved away the few items originally
> placed there, after i install some software i make copies of the shortcuts
> i will use and arranges them there in the order and into submenues as fits
> my style. Drag-n-Drop or use the folderpaths:
> "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\" (for all users pleasure) or
> "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\" (to be seen by current user only)
exactly what i am trying to do using the xp start menu - but i suspect that
the order key is being ignored for some reason...so i may just have to use
the classic menu like you...

its actually ok until you install/uninstall or add/delete some shortcut from
any of the menus (above or below the programs section- it doesnt matter).
if you do that it changes your arbitary order that you created via drag and
drop back to an alphabetic order...

i have no idea why it ignores the order key in the registry...and i have no
idea how to solve this problem (other than to use the classic start
menu)...i suspect its just another bug in xp that hasnt got much attention
because most people stick to the default of alpha sorting

it is a pain in the a*se quite frankly

thanks anyway for your input

>>> Mark <noone@nowhere.com> hunted and pecked:

> --
> Global Fund for Mergers and Acquisitions
> 1203 Foley Square
>
> Please followup in newsgroup.
> E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 3:17:27 PM

Mark wrote:

> it is a pain in the a*se quite frankly
>
> thanks anyway for your input

No problem, and good luck getting rid of that pain. ;-)

--
!