Start Menu Ordering Bug

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

i have the alphabetic start menu setting turned off
i drag my shortcuts into the desired order
windows resets it to alphabetic order

how do i prevent this from happening and get it to keep the order i want

windows xp sp2
8 answers Last reply
More about start menu ordering
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    start/run, type: %userprofile%/start menu/programs

    Use the View menu to set to Details view, then click a column header to sort as desired

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Mark" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:Oa2i6eidFHA.1600@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >i have the alphabetic start menu setting turned off
    > i drag my shortcuts into the desired order
    > windows resets it to alphabetic order
    >
    > how do i prevent this from happening and get it to keep the order i want
    >
    > windows xp sp2

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Where do you have the alphabetic start menu setting turned off?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:Oa2i6eidFHA.1600@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Mark <noone@nowhere.com> hunted and pecked:
    > i have the alphabetic start menu setting turned off
    > i drag my shortcuts into the desired order
    > windows resets it to alphabetic order
    >
    > how do i prevent this from happening and get it to keep the order i want
    >
    > windows xp sp2
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    my apologies - this is actually a button within x-setup pro to sort your all
    your start menus into alphabetic order...thats what happens when you rely on
    memory...

    none the less i drag my shortcuts within the start menu into the order i
    want and then at some later stage they are back in alphabetic order...

    > Where do you have the alphabetic start menu setting turned off?
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:Oa2i6eidFHA.1600@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > Mark <noone@nowhere.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> i have the alphabetic start menu setting turned off
    >> i drag my shortcuts into the desired order
    >> windows resets it to alphabetic order
    >>
    >> how do i prevent this from happening and get it to keep the order i want
    >>
    >> windows xp sp2
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Mark,

    Then x-setup pro is the problem. Whatever x-setup pro is.

    http://www.x-setup.net/

    I suggest that you ask the makers of x-setup pro what the problem is

    *Without* x-setup pro, the way that your sort your Start Menu alphabetically
    is to right click the Start Menu and select Sort by Name.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OjsyVuqdFHA.3280@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Mark <noone@nowhere.com> hunted and pecked:
    > my apologies - this is actually a button within x-setup pro to sort your
    > all your start menus into alphabetic order...thats what happens when you
    > rely on memory...
    >
    > none the less i drag my shortcuts within the start menu into the order i
    > want and then at some later stage they are back in alphabetic order...

    >> Where do you have the alphabetic start menu setting turned off?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:Oa2i6eidFHA.1600@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    >> Mark <noone@nowhere.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> i have the alphabetic start menu setting turned off
    >>> i drag my shortcuts into the desired order
    >>> windows resets it to alphabetic order
    >>>
    >>> how do i prevent this from happening and get it to keep the order i want
    >>>
    >>> windows xp sp2
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    thanks for the reply - but not what i wanted...

    i drag the shortcuts within the start menu into an arbitary order

    "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > start/run, type: %userprofile%/start menu/programs
    >
    > Use the View menu to set to Details view, then click a column header to
    > sort as desired
    >
    > --
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > FAQ for Windows Antispy
    > "Mark" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >>i have the alphabetic start menu setting turned off
    >> i drag my shortcuts into the desired order
    >> windows resets it to alphabetic order
    >>
    >> how do i prevent this from happening and get it to keep the order i want
    >>
    >> windows xp sp2

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Mark wrote:

    > my apologies - this is actually a button within x-setup pro to sort your all
    > your start menus into alphabetic order...thats what happens when you rely on
    > memory...
    >
    > none the less i drag my shortcuts within the start menu into the order i
    > want and then at some later stage they are back in alphabetic order...

    Well, the menu is sorted away from the alphbetical order according to
    [HCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start
    Menu\Programs]
    Deleting that key is most probaly what that X-Setup Pro function does,
    and maybe you have some housekeeping software that deletes it that key
    at other times, i don't know.
    (Old references to uninstalled software will often be found under that
    key, so potentially a regcleaner could just wipe the key as a preemtive
    strike.)

    Anyways, WinXP messes with your shortcuts on the desktop and in that
    menu hides them from you because *it* has decided you don't need to have
    them where you intentionally put them. And the Start:Programs submenu is
    the playground of every installer putting links in there the way the
    softwaredeveloper decided (ok, sometimes letting you put in a word).
    To me that hirearchy is to volatile, not making *me* in charge, so elow
    follows a tip for what i do.

    (I'm not using the /Start menu/ but the /Classic Start menu/ instead,)
    and in my experience the area above the delimiter above the Programs
    menu is rarely messed with so after having moved away the few items
    originally placed there, after i install some software i make copies of
    the shortcuts i will use and arranges them there in the order and into
    submenues as fits my style. Drag-n-Drop or use the folderpaths:
    "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\" (for all users pleasure) or
    "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\" (to be seen by current user only)

    --
    Global Fund for Mergers and Acquisitions
    1203 Foley Square

    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "... et al." <look@sig.bcause.this.is.invalid> wrote in message
    > Mark wrote:
    >
    >> my apologies - this is actually a button within x-setup pro to sort your
    >> all your start menus into alphabetic order...thats what happens when you
    >> rely on memory...
    >>
    >> none the less i drag my shortcuts within the start menu into the order i
    >> want and then at some later stage they are back in alphabetic order...
    >
    > Well, the menu is sorted away from the alphbetical order according to
    > [HCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start
    > Menu\Programs]
    yes - it seems though that when you are running the xp start menu as opposed
    to the classic it ignores this key

    > Deleting that key is most probaly what that X-Setup Pro function does, and
    > maybe you have some housekeeping software that deletes it that key at
    > other times, i don't know.
    i suspect so - although i never used that function (and i have now
    uninstalled x-setup pro) - x-etup is not the problem

    > (Old references to uninstalled software will often be found under that
    > key, so potentially a regcleaner could just wipe the key as a preemtive
    > strike.)
    >
    > Anyways, WinXP messes with your shortcuts on the desktop and in that menu
    > hides them from you because *it* has decided you don't need to have them
    > where you intentionally put them. And the Start:Programs submenu is the
    > playground of every installer putting links in there the way the
    > softwaredeveloper decided (ok, sometimes letting you put in a word).
    > To me that hirearchy is to volatile, not making *me* in charge, so elow
    > follows a tip for what i do.
    lets not get started on that one...i could whinge on for days about that!
    :-)

    > (I'm not using the /Start menu/ but the /Classic Start menu/ instead,)
    > and in my experience the area above the delimiter above the Programs menu
    > is rarely messed with so after having moved away the few items originally
    > placed there, after i install some software i make copies of the shortcuts
    > i will use and arranges them there in the order and into submenues as fits
    > my style. Drag-n-Drop or use the folderpaths:
    > "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\" (for all users pleasure) or
    > "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\" (to be seen by current user only)
    exactly what i am trying to do using the xp start menu - but i suspect that
    the order key is being ignored for some reason...so i may just have to use
    the classic menu like you...

    its actually ok until you install/uninstall or add/delete some shortcut from
    any of the menus (above or below the programs section- it doesnt matter).
    if you do that it changes your arbitary order that you created via drag and
    drop back to an alphabetic order...

    i have no idea why it ignores the order key in the registry...and i have no
    idea how to solve this problem (other than to use the classic start
    menu)...i suspect its just another bug in xp that hasnt got much attention
    because most people stick to the default of alpha sorting

    it is a pain in the a*se quite frankly

    thanks anyway for your input

    >>> Mark <noone@nowhere.com> hunted and pecked:

    > --
    > Global Fund for Mergers and Acquisitions
    > 1203 Foley Square
    >
    > Please followup in newsgroup.
    > E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Mark wrote:

    > it is a pain in the a*se quite frankly
    >
    > thanks anyway for your input

    No problem, and good luck getting rid of that pain. ;-)

    --
    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

Start Menu Microsoft Bug Windows XP