Accessing my home computer from office

igorb

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
I would like to remotely access my home computer from office. I don't want to install w2k Server on my home machine, instead I would like to stay with w2k prof. Someone advised me to install vmware and inside that virtual machine I could install w2k server. What do you recommend me to use? I like the functionality and speed of terminal server, but I don't want to switch to WinXP or w2k Server. I tried Radmin, but I found it is not stable enough, but most importantly it is not fast enought (I know I'm spoiled by the speed of terminal server). It seems that radmin doesn't transfer win GDI calls. Most likely only the screen image of the remote computer is transmitted and it is updated only as it changes.
What I would like is the functionality of terminal server on windows 2000 prof. Any ideas,
which SW can do that?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
there are a number of other products - a couple that come to mind are carbon copy, and reachout.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
W2k has a good WebServer(IIS) and FTP server right on the W2k CD...
The FTP service works great and ya can get assess to your box very easily with it. Just add/remove pgms, add windows components, FTP services - easy, works great!

Its also easy to install VPN (Virtual Private Network) service and get access to the whole box also.

Theres lots a good commercial stuff that works also, like PC Anywhere...

I like VPN, haven't installed it lately, Search this board "VPN", there's real good instructs and links available, I used em and worked great...

lordicon72

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
anyway you look at it, if you run ontop of vmware, your still had to install software on your drive. try using vnc software. it might work good for ya.