Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Are you planning to buy a High Def DVD player?

Last response: in Tom's Guide

Are you planning to buy a High Def DVD player?

Total: 29 votes (1 blank vote)

• Yes. HD-DVD
  • 13 %
  • Yes. Blu-Ray
  • 16 %
  • Waiting to see which format wins
  • 51 %
  • No plans to buy either one
  • 21 %
April 20, 2006 5:32:30 PM

I'm getting a PS3, so Blu-ray for me. Whether or not it "wins the format war" will be of little consequence to me as long as the system offers everything Sony claims. However, it will certainly help. The only difference from a consumer perspective that I can see is the level of interactivity (BD-J being arguably more so) and the ability to fit more content, or at least the same content at a higher bit rate.
April 21, 2006 8:19:18 AM

I was personally thinking about taking a look at the hybrid player that LG is supposedly coming out with. It's supposed to support both formats.
Related resources
April 26, 2006 5:45:18 PM

Quote:
I was personally thinking about taking a look at the hybrid player that LG is supposedly coming out with. It's supposed to support both formats.

I'm thinking this is going to be the final result of the war. Everyone is going to end up being able to play both, especially since they are both based on blue laser technology. Kinda how current DVD players can handle CD's and DVD's.
April 26, 2006 8:21:12 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking this is going to be the final result of the war. Everyone is going to end up being able to play both, especially since they are both based on blue laser technology. Kinda how current DVD players can handle CD's and DVD's.

Yeah, and this isn't the first format to have players / recorders that work with multiple formats... think CD-RW and CD+RW... and then DVD-/+R[W] DL... DVD-RAM... I can't wait to see the CD+/-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD+/-R[W] DL, Blue Ray +/-/=/@ R[W] DL, HD-DVD+/-/!/~R[W] DL.... burners that will be coming in the future.

What a mess...
May 8, 2006 11:17:47 PM

What a mess indeed.

With 25GB disk how long is it going to take to burn one of these disk?
August 29, 2010 4:15:35 AM

This topic has been closed by Reynod
!