How do I install XP on a SATA hd?

sohrabm

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2004
Helppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!! It's driving me nuts. So I just purchased a SATA Serial ATA Hard drive... I am on a regular IDEI hard drive right now...

So I want to make the serial ata hd my primary drive cuz well, its 10k RPM ;). But when I open up Windows XP to install it, it doesn't detect it!!!

I bought this drive from Western Digital, OEM, so it didn't come with any disks or anything. I havn't formated/partitioned it either... BIOS detects the drive... so I don't know. I'm soo [-peep-] lost and its driving me mad.

Can anyone help me please? Hass anyone here done this before? Thanks!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
heh, you drive doesn't come with a driver disk for your controller. I'll assume your SATA controller is onboard and tell you that your motherboard CD should have the SATA driver on it...and that you'll need to put it on a floppy, insert it in the system, set BIOS to make SATA drive 1 primary, boot CD then primary.

When you boot to CD you'll get a message that says to hit a key to load any third party RAID drivers (or a similar message), hit that key and it will find those drivers on the floppy disk.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

agcheavin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
you have to hit f6 during the early stages of the installation in order to install the "SATA raid" drivers, and you can only do this with a floppy disk, if your running both a sata rig as your boot and an ATA as a backup, make sure that your ATA is set to slave. I did all this yesterday with a seagate 80 gig SATA, runns like a treat.

Gary

<font color=red>AMD 2700 XP<font color=red>
<font color=red>Gecube 9800 pro Extreme<font color=red>
<font color=blue>ASUS A7N8X deluxe<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>1024 meg Dual Channel DDR 3200<font color=blue>

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
Why would you set the ATA drive to slave? I'm sure the SATA drive does not show up as the Master drive on the PATA channel. It's a whole different controller, the configuration of the PATA channels should have nothing to do with the SATA controller.

If you're just doing that to force the SATA drive to be the C: drive, then the better way is to remove the PATA drive while you install windows, then put it back in after windows is set up. Then you can right-click My Computer and click Manage, click on Disk Management on the left, and it gives you the option to reassign your drive letters in any way you like (so you can even put your CDROM drive as Q: and your second hard drive as Y: if it turns you on).