HELLPPP!! First time post and desperate

I need to fix something real fast ....here is the problem..
i have been noticing that i was gettin g alot of "connection refused"
messages even when trying to get to microsoft.com to reinstall my media
player 10. So iu did some reading and was eventually sent to my 'host" file
in sysem 32 where i deleted alot of the entiries ..(actually all of them
except the local host one ) this didn't seem to work at all oh and this one
advice place suggested i some sort of file to my windows folder .,..went back
to look for it by date and couldnt find it ...he also said to go to my
about:ipconfig pager and change one of the ones there to toggle which i did
....i then tried releasing and renewing my ip address in cmd prompt mode using
the renew and release commands and then tried to flush the caches of my dns
with flushdns command. when it went to renew everything i got this funny
looking string that i will cut and paste below for my dns servers ...now i
time out on most requests and i can hardly get anywhere ...what do i do?? is
there any magic "fix my dns " p[rogram anywhere or something like that?? I
have my windows professional upgrade disk ...also if it helsp sp2 is not
installed and won't install for some reason...also I noticed that i have two
crss listings instead of one on my active programs list i get with ctrl alt
delete and i have had winsocks proiblems from a virus about a month ago
thx help me please we can go on chat or anything ..i will be upo until i fix
it or ruin it beyond fixing ..thx jill
--
thx
4 answers Last reply

    Hi Jill,

    Looking at the ipconfig you posted, I'm guessing you connect to the internet
    through a broadband router. If that's true, I'd suggest resetting the router
    (disconnect it from your PC first) and re-installing the supplied software -
    but only do this if you feel confident doing this.

    This isn't an absolute solution, more of a simple trouble-shooting. I'm
    also curios as to why you've got a Tunnel running - do you work from home
    over a VPN connection?

    --
    - Matt

    "JillJordan" wrote:

    > I need to fix something real fast ....here is the problem..
    > i have been noticing that i was gettin g alot of "connection refused"
    > messages even when trying to get to microsoft.com to reinstall my media
    > player 10. So iu did some reading and was eventually sent to my 'host" file
    > in sysem 32 where i deleted alot of the entiries ..(actually all of them
    > except the local host one ) this didn't seem to work at all oh and this one
    > advice place suggested i some sort of file to my windows folder .,..went back
    > to look for it by date and couldnt find it ...he also said to go to my
    > about:ipconfig pager and change one of the ones there to toggle which i did
    > ...i then tried releasing and renewing my ip address in cmd prompt mode using
    > the renew and release commands and then tried to flush the caches of my dns
    > with flushdns command. when it went to renew everything i got this funny
    > looking string that i will cut and paste below for my dns servers ...now i
    > time out on most requests and i can hardly get anywhere ...what do i do?? is
    > there any magic "fix my dns " p[rogram anywhere or something like that?? I
    > have my windows professional upgrade disk ...also if it helsp sp2 is not
    > installed and won't install for some reason...also I noticed that i have two
    > crss listings instead of one on my active programs list i get with ctrl alt
    > delete and i have had winsocks proiblems from a virus about a month ago
    > thx help me please we can go on chat or anything ..i will be upo until i fix
    > it or ruin it beyond fixing ..thx jill
    > --
    > thx

    Thank you for responding I do appreciate it anyway ok here is the problem
    and here is what i am running i am running a windows xp pro with broadband
    professional connection . You asked about a VPN and a tunnel? vpn is virtual
    priv network and I don;t know what a tunnel is but while we are both wired
    and wireless here at this house (2 of each) I know that none of us know what
    a tunnel s and so if we have one it's big news to us.?? there is ftp server
    software and an ftp thatr operates from here for a website. anyway
    basically i only needed to go to my host file in windows 32 and remove some
    IP addresses that weere being blocked and causing me to get one of those
    "vonnection refused " messages apparenty we had been hacked during this last
    issue we had about 2-3 months ago and didn't get unhacked all the way becauze
    someone or something had added every single virus protections that we use 's
    address and all of the update addresses to the host file essentially blocking
    our ability to detect things so when I saw this i not onoly removed
    microsoft.com but also all of the other ones in there too except the ip
    address for the local host and left it there .
    after doing this i restarfted it and OMG it was sooo slow i could barely
    navigate it felt like i was using dsl. so i try a cpl of things to see whats
    going on and i read something that says i need to release and renew my dns
    and all of my addresses and setting s via the ipconfig / release and the
    ipconfig / renew and to first flush my dns cahces with ip config /flushdns
    when i did the flush it wouldn't flush at all saud sorry can't flush thats
    when i released and renewed and then it would flush but whjen i looked at my
    new numbers in ip config they didn't look right my router address is the
    192.168.0.13 address the 192.168.0.1 address is an old router address we used
    to have but havent used in a while on this computer or maybe its supposed to
    be like that I dont know comcast guy at 2am didn't know either i dont think
    so I am thinking that iwas going to have to face that day so many of us dread
    and install sp2 but guess what even sp2 wouldn't install so here i am i am on
    msn messenger just send me your username to my email and i can add you email
    is jilljordan2004@hotmail.com thx jj
    --
    thx

    "Dangonblane" wrote:

    > Hi Jill,
    >
    > Looking at the ipconfig you posted, I'm guessing you connect to the internet
    > through a broadband router. If that's true, I'd suggest resetting the router
    > (disconnect it from your PC first) and re-installing the supplied software -
    > but only do this if you feel confident doing this.
    >
    > This isn't an absolute solution, more of a simple trouble-shooting. I'm
    > also curios as to why you've got a Tunnel running - do you work from home
    > over a VPN connection?
    >

    > --
    > - Matt
    >

    > "JillJordan" wrote:
    >
    > > I need to fix something real fast ....here is the problem..
    > > i have been noticing that i was gettin g alot of "connection refused"
    > > messages even when trying to get to microsoft.com to reinstall my media
    > > player 10. So iu did some reading and was eventually sent to my 'host" file
    > > in sysem 32 where i deleted alot of the entiries ..(actually all of them
    > > except the local host one ) this didn't seem to work at all oh and this one
    > > advice place suggested i some sort of file to my windows folder .,..went back
    > > to look for it by date and couldnt find it ...he also said to go to my
    > > about:ipconfig pager and change one of the ones there to toggle which i did
    > > ...i then tried releasing and renewing my ip address in cmd prompt mode using
    > > the renew and release commands and then tried to flush the caches of my dns
    > > with flushdns command. when it went to renew everything i got this funny
    > > looking string that i will cut and paste below for my dns servers ...now i
    > > time out on most requests and i can hardly get anywhere ...what do i do?? is
    > > there any magic "fix my dns " p[rogram anywhere or something like that?? I
    > > have my windows professional upgrade disk ...also if it helsp sp2 is not
    > > installed and won't install for some reason...also I noticed that i have two
    > > crss listings instead of one on my active programs list i get with ctrl alt
    > > delete and i have had winsocks proiblems from a virus about a month ago
    > > thx help me please we can go on chat or anything ..i will be upo until i fix
    > > it or ruin it beyond fixing ..thx jill
    > > --
    > > thx

    here is my network diagnostic test result
    Show Saved Files
    Internet Service
    Default Outlook Express Mail Not Configured
    Default Outlook Express News Not Configured
    Internet Explorer Web Proxy Not Configured
    Computer Information
    Computer System 123-B4W9UTDCJSV
    AdminPasswordStatus = 3
    AutomaticResetBootOption = TRUE
    AutomaticResetCapability = TRUE
    BootROMSupported = TRUE
    BootupState = Normal boot
    Caption = 123-B4W9UTDCJSV
    ChassisBootupState = 2
    CreationClassName = Win32_ComputerSystem
    CurrentTimeZone = -420
    DaylightInEffect = TRUE
    Description = AT/AT COMPATIBLE
    Domain = MSHOME
    DomainRole = 0
    EnableDaylightSavingsTime = TRUE
    FrontPanelResetStatus = 3
    InfraredSupported = FALSE
    KeyboardPasswordStatus = 3
    Manufacturer = NVIDIA
    Model = AWRDACPI
    Name = 123-B4W9UTDCJSV
    NetworkServerModeEnabled = TRUE
    NumberOfProcessors = 1
    PartOfDomain = FALSE
    PauseAfterReset = -1
    PowerOnPasswordStatus = 3
    PowerState = 0
    PowerSupplyState = 2
    PrimaryOwnerName = 123
    ResetCapability = 1
    ResetCount = -1
    ResetLimit = -1
    Roles
    LM_Workstation
    LM_Server
    Print
    NT
    Potential_Browser
    Master_Browser
    Status = OK
    SystemStartupDelay = 30
    SystemStartupOptions = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    SystemStartupSetting = 0
    SystemType = X86-based PC
    ThermalState = 2
    TotalPhysicalMemory = 1073201152
    UserName = 123-B4W9UTDCJSV\123
    WakeUpType = 6
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    BootDevice = \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    BuildNumber = 2600
    BuildType = Uniprocessor Free
    Caption = Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    CodeSet = 1252
    CountryCode = 1
    CreationClassName = Win32_OperatingSystem
    CSCreationClassName = Win32_ComputerSystem
    CSDVersion = Service Pack 1
    CSName = 123-B4W9UTDCJSV
    CurrentTimeZone = -420
    Debug = FALSE
    Description = rogers office
    Distributed = FALSE
    EncryptionLevel = 168
    ForegroundApplicationBoost = 2
    FreePhysicalMemory = 493096
    FreeSpaceInPagingFiles = 3615480
    FreeVirtualMemory = 4108576
    InstallDate = 11:48:47 PM 05/22/2005
    LargeSystemCache = 0
    LastBootUpTime = 2:36:25 AM 06/20/2005
    LocalDateTime = 12:07:25 PM 06/21/2005
    Locale = 0409
    Manufacturer = Microsoft Corporation
    MaxNumberOfProcesses = -1
    MaxProcessMemorySize = 2097024
    Name = Microsoft Windows XP Professional|C:\WINDOWS|
    NumberOfProcesses = 46
    NumberOfUsers = 2
    OSLanguage = 1033
    OSType = 18
    Primary = TRUE
    ProductType = 1
    QuantumLength = 0
    QuantumType = 0
    RegisteredUser = 123
    SerialNumber = 55276-012-1042374-22884
    ServicePackMajorVersion = 1
    ServicePackMinorVersion = 0
    SizeStoredInPagingFiles = 4094464
    Status = OK
    SuiteMask = 272
    SystemDevice = \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    SystemDirectory = C:\WINDOWS\System32
    SystemDrive = C:
    TotalVirtualMemorySize = 5142512
    TotalVisibleMemorySize = 1048048
    Version = 5.1.2600
    WindowsDirectory = C:\WINDOWS
    Version 5.1.2600
    Version = 5.1.2600
    BuildVersion = 2600.0000
    Modems and Network Adapters
    Modems
    Network Adapters FAILED
    [00000009] NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller (FAILED)
    Caption = [00000009] NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    DatabasePath = %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc
    DefaultIPGateway = 192.168.0.1(Same Subnet) (FAILED)
    Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss)
    Description = NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller - Packet Scheduler
    Miniport
    DHCPEnabled = TRUE
    DHCPLeaseExpires = 1:03:39 PM 06/21/2005
    DHCPLeaseObtained = 12:03:39 PM 06/21/2005
    DHCPServer = 192.168.0.1 (PASSED)
    Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
    Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
    DNSDomain = chn.comcast.net
    DNSEnabledForWINSResolution = FALSE
    DNSHostName = 123-b4w9utdcjsv
    DNSServerSearchOrder = 192.168.0.1 (PASSED)
    Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
    Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
    FullDNSRegistrationEnabled = TRUE
    GatewayCostMetric = 20
    Index = 9
    IPAddress = 192.168.0.13 (PASSED)
    Pinging 192.168.0.13 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.0.13: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=0
    Reply from 192.168.0.13: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=0
    Reply from 192.168.0.13: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=0
    Reply from 192.168.0.13: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=0
    Ping statistics for 192.168.0.13:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
    IPConnectionMetric = 20
    IPEnabled = TRUE
    IPFilterSecurityEnabled = FALSE
    IPSubnet = 255.255.255.0
    IPXAddress = 00000000:000FEA6D239A
    IPXEnabled = TRUE
    IPXFrameType = 255
    IPXVirtualNetNumber = 00000000
    MACAddress = 00:0F:EA:6D:23:9A
    ServiceName = NVENETFD
    SettingID = {F56AE2C0-9748-48CA-AC9D-0132FFCECBDE}
    TcpipNetbiosOptions = 0
    WINSEnableLMHostsLookup = TRUE
    [00000012] Linksys NC100 Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Caption = [00000012] Linksys NC100 Fast Ethernet Adapter
    DatabasePath = %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc
    Description = Linksys NC100 Fast Ethernet Adapter - Packet Scheduler
    Miniport
    DHCPEnabled = TRUE
    DHCPLeaseExpires = 10:27:27 PM 04/16/2005
    DHCPLeaseObtained = 10:22:27 PM 04/16/2005
    DNSEnabledForWINSResolution = FALSE
    DNSHostName = 123-b4w9utdcjsv
    FullDNSRegistrationEnabled = TRUE
    Index = 12
    IPConnectionMetric = 1
    IPEnabled = TRUE
    IPFilterSecurityEnabled = FALSE
    IPXAddress = 00000000:00045A6A515E
    IPXEnabled = TRUE
    IPXFrameType = 255
    IPXVirtualNetNumber = 00000000
    MACAddress = 00:04:5A:6A:51:5E
    ServiceName = AN983
    SettingID = {BEAEC031-AFA3-487F-ABAF-7CB022C5ACC6}
    TcpipNetbiosOptions = 0
    WINSEnableLMHostsLookup = TRUE
    Network Clients
    Microsoft Terminal Services
    Description = RDPNP
    Manufacturer = Microsoft Corporation
    Name = Microsoft Terminal Services
    Status = Unknown
    Microsoft Windows Network
    Caption = Workstation
    Description = Creates and maintains client network connections to remote
    servers. If this service is stopped, these connections will be unavailable.
    If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will
    fail to start.
    Manufacturer = Microsoft Corporation
    Name = Microsoft Windows Network
    Status = OK
    Web Client Network
    Caption = WebClient
    Description = Enables Windows-based programs to create, access, and modify
    Internet-based files. If this service is stopped, these functions will not be
    available. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend
    on it will fail to start.
    Manufacturer = Microsoft Corporation
    Name = Web Client Network
    Status = OK

    --
    thx

    "Dangonblane" wrote:

    > Hi Jill,
    >
    > Looking at the ipconfig you posted, I'm guessing you connect to the internet
    > through a broadband router. If that's true, I'd suggest resetting the router
    > (disconnect it from your PC first) and re-installing the supplied software -
    > but only do this if you feel confident doing this.
    >
    > This isn't an absolute solution, more of a simple trouble-shooting. I'm
    > also curios as to why you've got a Tunnel running - do you work from home
    > over a VPN connection?
    >

    > --
    > - Matt
    >

    > "JillJordan" wrote:
    >
    > > I need to fix something real fast ....here is the problem..
    > > i have been noticing that i was gettin g alot of "connection refused"
    > > messages even when trying to get to microsoft.com to reinstall my media
    > > player 10. So iu did some reading and was eventually sent to my 'host" file
    > > in sysem 32 where i deleted alot of the entiries ..(actually all of them
    > > except the local host one ) this didn't seem to work at all oh and this one
    > > advice place suggested i some sort of file to my windows folder .,..went back
    > > to look for it by date and couldnt find it ...he also said to go to my
    > > about:ipconfig pager and change one of the ones there to toggle which i did
    > > ...i then tried releasing and renewing my ip address in cmd prompt mode using
    > > the renew and release commands and then tried to flush the caches of my dns
    > > with flushdns command. when it went to renew everything i got this funny
    > > looking string that i will cut and paste below for my dns servers ...now i
    > > time out on most requests and i can hardly get anywhere ...what do i do?? is
    > > there any magic "fix my dns " p[rogram anywhere or something like that?? I
    > > have my windows professional upgrade disk ...also if it helsp sp2 is not
    > > installed and won't install for some reason...also I noticed that i have two
    > > crss listings instead of one on my active programs list i get with ctrl alt
    > > delete and i have had winsocks proiblems from a virus about a month ago
    > > thx help me please we can go on chat or anything ..i will be upo until i fix
    > > it or ruin it beyond fixing ..thx jill
    > > --
    > > thx

    Not sure if you have figured the problem out yet but I have a
    suggestion. You need to uninstall the network card from your system.
    Then just reboot and the system will find the network card and
    reinstall it. This will take care of most of the problems I would
    imagine. Make sure you have the network card drivers before you do this
    just in case Windows needs them. Next make sure you are running a
    spyware removal program(yes spyware can mess with your internet
    connections) Good ones are adaware and spybot search and destroy. Make
    sure you update or try to update them once you have installed them and
    before you run the tools. I would definately if you can install the
    Microsoft spyware removal tool as it will allow you to more clearly see
    what is popping up and trying to run.

    Try this and get back to me and I will try and help you out further.

    Michael

    --
    mbrown
    mbrown's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=684