plz help parity error

ma5h

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2004
hiya all, just like to ask if anybody knows how to sort out parity errors.

I used to get them sometimes when my pc started (i listened to the beep code thingy) but recently it has been getting worse and my pc can sometimes be pretty unstable :-(

i have used a memory tester from microsoft and it says there is no problem with my memory itself so i am thinking the timing is wrong.

Unfortunately i am not that technically savvy to go into bios and other things without fear of breaking stuff. So could people tell me what to do to fix this - thanks in advance.

my sys is a dell 8300

i have 2 x 256 DDR

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sometimes the connections aren't perfect, try popping them out and pushing them back in.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ma5h

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2004
Ta for the advice crashman, i tried that and i even swapped them round but i still get a beeping on startup (indicating parity error), it doesnt happen everytime but usually when it first comes on in the morning.

Does this effect my system when it doesnt beep and starts up normally? ie. is it slower / less stable / damaging soft or hardware.

Everything seems to run ok when it gets turned on but now and again the system on certain programmes like netscape / media player can frequently crash. is this linked to this problem or is this more to do with software problems?

any help is much appreciated, ta

Latest posts