Cd/DVD Drive not seeing inserted disks

Kornball

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Recently a problem started up in that my CD/DVD drive doesn't "see" an inserted disk whether it's blank or recorded. The drive shows up in Explorer and Device Manager where I get the "device is working properly" note. I pulled that drive and installed another one with the same results. Windows Media Player doesn't see the drive at all. I've tried the Uninstall bit in Device Manager, but when I reboot the computer I still have the same problem. I even replaced the cable, but it still doesn't work. This one really has me stumped.

Note: The replacement drive was tested before it was installed and worked perfectly.

Win 7
Acer Aspire M1100
2G Memory

isamuelson

Distinguished
So, it used to work in the PC it's having problems with? Have you tried putting it on another IDE channel (if it's IDE) or SATA channel (if it's SATA) to see if it works there? Maybe the port you're trying to use is bad.

isamuelson

Distinguished
So you have both the sata power and sata data cable hooked up correct? Is the BIOS reporting that it finds the DVD drive?

Also, I'm assuming it worked before and then stopped working? Do you have Windows Restore enabled? Do you remember when it last worked and can you restore back to that configuration?

Otherwise, I wonder if it's a problem on the motherboard with the controller? But then, I would assume your hard drives are also SATA and those would also be affected.

Have you tried using a different SATA data and power cable to ensure it's not in the cable?

DotBomber

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

How did you get Windows 7 running on an Acer Aspire M1100. Many system owners have been struggling ... please help the rest of us!!

Kornball

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

I'm closing this one off as I found out that BOTH of my CD/DVD drives are defective! I'd checked the spare drive previously using an external adapter via USB and it seemed to function. Don't know what happened, but looks like I have to buy another drive.

Thanks all for your help.

DotBomber

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

Did you get Win 7 running on your Acer M1100... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
--ray

Kornball

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Getting Win 7 to install/run on my Acer 110 was no problem. I used the MS adviser first to make sure that all or at least most of my programs, as well as my hardware, would work with Win 7. After that I followed the instructions for an upgrade installation and that was that. I did have to upgrade my backup program, Acronis and my virus program, BitDefender, to the Win 7 versions. Everything has worked just fine since then.

My CD/DVD drive problem turned out to be a corrupted cdrom.sys driver. I had to go to MS Tech help to get that solved. Took less than an hour over the phone.