Sign in with
Your question

DVD Writer + What?

Last response: in Storage
March 21, 2004 9:49:06 AM

I've just bought a new DVD rewriter (an NEC ND-2500). The question is - what should it replace. I currently have a Pioneer 16x DVD reader and a Liteon 32x12x40 CD rewriter. Should I keep the DVD or CD-RW?
Thanks

More about : dvd writer

March 24, 2004 3:16:08 PM

cdrw man................ that was comon senese...............dvd players are a waste if you already have a nice tv set top player.. i don't like watching dvds on my pc that's why, pc = just for burning the movies...... then i watch them on my real dvd player.

dvd-rw doesn't burn as fast as a cd-rw anyways......... just for making a quick audio cd cd-rw would burn it better i think...... LiteON 52x flys!

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
April 6, 2004 2:35:40 AM

What if you want to do a back-up of a DVD...I would keep the DVD, as you'll be able to do disc to disc copy of your DVDs (not commercial thou) But if you have room and connector, you can keep them all.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
Related resources
April 6, 2004 5:59:08 AM

LOL, what the first guy said makes little sense. I'd keep the DVD-ROM for doing on-the-fly copies.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
April 7, 2004 12:31:19 AM

I would keep the CD-RW actually...
hint: LiteOn CD-RW has better capability of backing up
protected CDs than 2500A

Follow down the reabbit hole......
April 7, 2004 12:43:49 AM

Get a PCI card to hook the new drive to and keep all of them...that's what I did.

....WW (4.0)
April 21, 2004 6:47:07 AM

lol, it is not a CD_RW that is making a copy of "protected CDs" but the software that is used with it. I am still using Plextor 16A and can "backup" any CD out there with CloneCD or Nero or Easy CDC. My NEC DVDRW will do the same with same programs.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
April 29, 2004 11:49:22 PM

y dont ya keep both???
May 8, 2004 12:24:39 AM

I'd keep the Pioneer DVD too (infact a Pioneer 106S shares my rig with an LGDVD-writer). I have the luxury of an external FireWire/PCMCIA/USB2.0 CD-RW as well, but tha's just my preference.

The 32X CDR isn't significantly fast, and the DVD does allow you to make direct copies, and also allows you to pre-load your machine with a DVD and a DVD-R and let DVD-Shrink go to work with Nero6 and do everything for you while you're off doing something else, and then turn itself off. Couldn't be easier. :evil: 

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
!