Tags:
  • Flat Panel Monitors
  • Gaming
  • Monitors
  • Peripherals
  • Product
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 25, 2006 2:21:21 AM

I am, as you can see in my sig, going to be building my own comp in about a month. When I do, I'm going to get a monitor. I was originally planning to get a Dell 2005FPW. But now, because that monitor is scarce because of the release of the 2007FPW, I can't really get it. Therefore I looked at prices of the 2007, and they are way more than I am willing to spend on it. So, until the 2007 gets some big price cuts and some really good rebates on it, I'm going to be looking for a new monitor that I will buy.

So, my requirements for this monitor will be that it is a good gaming monitor (low response time) and is good for Graphic Design (which is part of my job). Also, as you can tell, I was kind of hoping it would be wide screen, but thats not a requirement if I find something else that I really like. Oh, also, I was kind of hoping it would have some possibility for me to plug my PS2 up to it. With the 2005/2007 it would have been component video, but thats not necessarily needed. I believe I can find a S-Video adapter for PS2. Also, this is not a must. My gaming with the PS2 is limited, and honestly, with all the good games I'll have on my comp, who needs PS2 games also, though it would be nice.

So, any suggestions?

DDay

More about : gaming graphic design monitor

April 25, 2006 2:37:18 AM

Get the Dell 2007 using the coupon code I gave you. Free shipping on it as well. Enjoy Dell makes some great LCDs.
April 25, 2006 12:43:28 PM

ah it is a pity money is limited as i would have suggested mine. it is widescreen and you can connect a ps2 up with out any adapters. as it is i would try to get that dell as if it anything like mine it will be good. i won't try and make a suggestion other than try to stick with a widescreen of 1650 x 1080 res. they really do look nice and great for having 2 windows open at the same time.
Related resources
April 25, 2006 5:38:14 PM

Would it be better for me not to get a Wide Screen model then? It doesn't say what the ms response time of the 2001 is, but I know that the 19" is 8 ms. So, please, suggestions!

DDay
April 25, 2006 5:44:58 PM

try to find reviews either professional or consumer as response times aren't to be trusted. have a look at toms reviews and see the actual ones to the stated ones. the only reason i say to get the widescreen one is that you probably work with multiple windows open at once and widescreen are great for that.
April 25, 2006 5:49:11 PM

Yeah, don't I know it, but I'm also kind of worried about stretching of games. Though I do know that I can at will turn it into a 4:3 screen with black bars, which wouldn't bother me at all.

DDay
April 25, 2006 6:18:28 PM

i think it depends on the monitor and on the person as i find games which don't support widescreen look fine stretched or with black bars. this is a list of fixes for games which don't support widescreen. http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/masterlist.php

unfortunately there is quite a few as developers always seem to try and make their games as old tech as possible.
April 26, 2006 1:56:25 AM

I think I have decided. I have come across some really good reviews, specifically for gaming and layout. It is the the ViewSonic VX2025WM 20". Let me know what you think of it.

DDay
April 26, 2006 7:01:59 AM

ye that looks good and viewsonic have one of the best reps from what i'e heard. nice resolution. it should display colours well and it fits your requirements. i don't like them stands and prefer my dells as you can do anything with it. that is a minor concern though. if that is yor choice then it looks a good one.
April 26, 2006 4:08:09 PM

I purchased this monitor about a month ago. It's been great so far. The stand is horrible as there is no height adjustment, but that's a minor complaint. The claimed 8ms resonse time seems to be accurate. For the combination of gaming/graphic design monitor I don't think you can go wrong. It works great for console gaming (Xbox 360), but to my knowledge PS2 does not have a VGA adapter availabe. Also, the monitor is not a true 16:9, but it's so close I haven't noticed when playing widescreen movies or games. Don't depend on the built in speakers-they're not even visible so you can imagine what they sound like.
April 26, 2006 4:42:51 PM

Yes, the true ratio is 16:10. I don't even think I will plug the speakers in, as they are unneeded. I already have a pair to use. As for the stand, somehow I have always greatly enjoyed Apple screens which have never had a height adjustment, so, really, it should be great.

DDay

P.S. Have there been any problems with this monitor at all from anybody on here?
!