  • Computers
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
June 21, 2005 10:01:05 AM

I bought a computer off a friend recently. All good except that my friend is
chinese as does the language of windows. Unfortunately friend now moved back
to China. Anyway, trying to change this back again I would have thought would
have been easy but it isn't.

Theoretically I know how to do it, you need to untick a box in the Regional
and Language Options dialogue box but said box has been greyed out so I
can't....does this mean it's not possible and a reinstall is needed, can I
set up a new user account or are there any other options.

More about : chinese english

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 6:19:15 PM

Hi

If you want to change to English, you will have to purchase an English
retail XP CD. The language can't be changed from Chinese to English.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"wootoo" <wootoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought a computer off a friend recently. All good except that my friend
>is
> chinese as does the language of windows. Unfortunately friend now moved
> back
> to China. Anyway, trying to change this back again I would have thought
> would
> have been easy but it isn't.
>
> Theoretically I know how to do it, you need to untick a box in the
> Regional
> and Language Options dialogue box but said box has been greyed out so I
> can't....does this mean it's not possible and a reinstall is needed, can I
> set up a new user account or are there any other options.
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 6:19:16 PM

could be worse as I have an english speaking computer and a copy of
xp....however, does the reinstall need a complete one or just a fix type.
Will I need to remove the programs on the computer before hand or will it all
be acknowlegded in the install. Thanks for your help chaps.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> If you want to change to English, you will have to purchase an English
> retail XP CD. The language can't be changed from Chinese to English.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "wootoo" <wootoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I bought a computer off a friend recently. All good except that my friend
> >is
> > chinese as does the language of windows. Unfortunately friend now moved
> > back
> > to China. Anyway, trying to change this back again I would have thought
> > would
> > have been easy but it isn't.
> >
> > Theoretically I know how to do it, you need to untick a box in the
> > Regional
> > and Language Options dialogue box but said box has been greyed out so I
> > can't....does this mean it's not possible and a reinstall is needed, can I
> > set up a new user account or are there any other options.

June 21, 2005 7:20:04 PM

Hi

You will need to 'Clean' install XP - which means that all data on the hard
disk will be lost. You can backup all the data files beforehand and then
use them again when the programs have been reinstalled:

> could be worse as I have an english speaking computer and a copy of
> xp....however, does the reinstall need a complete one or just a fix type.
> Will I need to remove the programs on the computer before hand or will it
> all
> be acknowlegded in the install. Thanks for your help chaps.
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> If you want to change to English, you will have to purchase an English
>> retail XP CD. The language can't be changed from Chinese to English.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "wootoo" <wootoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I bought a computer off a friend recently. All good except that my
>> >friend
>> >is
>> > chinese as does the language of windows. Unfortunately friend now moved
>> > back
>> > to China. Anyway, trying to change this back again I would have thought
>> > would
>> > have been easy but it isn't.
>> >
>> > Theoretically I know how to do it, you need to untick a box in the
>> > Regional
>> > and Language Options dialogue box but said box has been greyed out so I
>> > can't....does this mean it's not possible and a reinstall is needed,
>> > can I
>> > set up a new user account or are there any other options.

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 11:34:19 PM

You cannot upgrade or convert from one language version to another, so
you have to purchase full version of English WinXP to perform a clean
installation.
"The Language of This Installation of Windows Differs from the One You
Are Installing" Error Message
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282089

'Clean Install Windows XP'

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

wootoo wrote:
> I bought a computer off a friend recently. All good except that my friend is
> chinese as does the language of windows. Unfortunately friend now moved back
> to China. Anyway, trying to change this back again I would have thought would
> have been easy but it isn't.
>
> Theoretically I know how to do it, you need to untick a box in the Regional
> and Language Options dialogue box but said box has been greyed out so I
> can't....does this mean it's not possible and a reinstall is needed, can I
> set up a new user account or are there any other options.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:08:23 AM

Although i'm not sure, i think there's a chance that there is a version of
Windows Chinese version or something like that. so i'm not sure whether you
can easily fix ur problem

--
Jayso

"wootoo" <wootoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought a computer off a friend recently. All good except that my friend
>is
> chinese as does the language of windows. Unfortunately friend now moved
> back
> to China. Anyway, trying to change this back again I would have thought
> would
> have been easy but it isn't.
>
> Theoretically I know how to do it, you need to untick a box in the
> Regional
> and Language Options dialogue box but said box has been greyed out so I
> can't....does this mean it's not possible and a reinstall is needed, can I
> set up a new user account or are there any other options.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:21:35 AM

Yep, that's what i thought

Bad Luck mate
--
Jayso

> Hi
>
> If you want to change to English, you will have to purchase an English
> retail XP CD. The language can't be changed from Chinese to English.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "wootoo" <wootoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I bought a computer off a friend recently. All good except that my friend
>>is
>> chinese as does the language of windows. Unfortunately friend now moved
>> back
>> to China. Anyway, trying to change this back again I would have thought
>> would
>> have been easy but it isn't.
>>
>> Theoretically I know how to do it, you need to untick a box in the
>> Regional
>> and Language Options dialogue box but said box has been greyed out so I
>> can't....does this mean it's not possible and a reinstall is needed, can
>> set up a new user account or are there any other options.

April 10, 2010 2:37:42 PM

I have the same problem but the non English language is only on the CD drive. Can this be fix easy?
April 10, 2010 2:46:36 PM

Jackman:
Asking for help with Pirated Software on a Public forum isn't a good idea, also this thread you dug-up is from 2005!

I'm beginning to think your main problem is not related to your computer system...
April 10, 2010 4:58:26 PM

I bought the computer ate the pawn shop.I don't know anything about Piated Software.
!