Status
Not open for further replies.

snipingkid

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Hey everyone,

Going off to college in a few weeks and will need a new laptop. Biggest problem is that I live in Canada, so it breaks my heart to see that I could save 25% (200$) for a 1h30m ride over the border.

Anyway, spec-wise I'd like something light and portable, 14.1 being great, but I would also like to have a decent graphics card, which nearly only comes in 15.4 inch models. IF it is a 15.4 in, I would like to make sure that there isn't a lot of space on the left and right of the screen. I would also like to go with the 7th 'gen' Core 2 Duo processors if I can call them that. The second (2xxx) and fifth series (5xxx) seem really slow. Ideally, I would like to have the T7500 (2.2ghz/800fbs/4m cache). On the memory part, no less that 2GB, three being perfect. Other than that, I don't really have any other restrictions. I would like the laptop to have bluetooth, but if we find a good deal, it won't matter.

This, like everything else in the world, has a budget, we're looking at $800-$999. The closer it gets to $800 the better.

So here's a recap:
Intel Core 2 Duo T7500
3GB of RAM
Dedicated Graphics Card (ex: 8600GT or HD2600)
Screen Size of 14.1 or 15.4
$800-$999

What I've found
Obviously, I've researched a bit before posting and will continue to search while I get suggestions from other users. Here's what I have found:

Acer TravelMate 4720-6202 Laptop Computer
Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2GHz
2GB DDR2
X1300 Graphics Accelerator
160GB HDD
DVDRW
14.1" WXGA
Windows XP Professional
9-cell Battery

Here is the link:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3943878&CatId=2289

Gateway M-153X Notebook PC
Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2GHz
3GB DDR2
ATI HD 2600 Graphics Card
250GB HDD
15.4" WXGA
Bluetooth
Windows Vista Home Premium
6-Cell Battery

Here is the link:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4023064&body=WARRANTY#tabs

These are pretty much at both extremes, the ACER being on the cheap end of the budget and the Gateway a bit over. I would have bought the Gateway if I had the American price.

Check it out:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4023064&body=WARRANTY#tabs

**It is really important for me to have a graphics card, expecially if the graphics accelerator is going to suck off the little 2gb ram I have. I will keep searching while awaiting suggestions! Thanks for the help!

Patrick

snipingkid

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Hey,

Thanks for your replies.

hey check this out

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] DE=GATEWAY

seems like the same m-153x laptop but at 850. Unfortunately, not many reviews out. I really don't know why though, seems good...8600m gt like performance. Why IS it 850?

That's what I specified at the end of my post. I tried to order that laptop at $850, but I was stopped when they didn't ship to canada. I just changed the domain name extension from the address bar and found this one at $1037. That is also why I said at the beginning of my post I said that it broke my heart to know I could save nearly 200$ if I lived in the US.

That's why I'm a bit hesitant to buy the $1037 one. At 850$ it would have been the greatest deal ever.

dude, dv5t for a 1000? with the 9600m gt 512mb?

or 100 less with 9200m?

You'll have to rephrase that sentence as I can't decode it. Sorry!

Thanks for any suggestions.
Pat

gnarmis

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
sorry, my fault up there...

I meant the hp dv5t customizable laptop here:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do?template_type=cto_config&config_id=LOWEST&bomProductId=KQ574AV&aoid=11232&srccode=cii_5766179&cpncode=12-60109882-2

check the Canadian version, but I think it'll be pretty close in price. It's 999.99 USD, with the 512mb 9600m gt (newest one from Nvidia in that range, I think). Great looks, "frameless" screen (so they say, looks good in the pics), up-to-date specs. You could skimp on the gfx card and save a 100, but I don't think you'd want to.

You might like m1530, but at similar specs, that is 1100 USD. Try custom laptops from ibuypower or xocticpc to see the sweet spot, if that works better for you. Can't recommend a custom one as I havent ever done that before myself.

snipingkid

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Thanks for the suggestion. The laptop is nice indeed. However, they do not offer it on HP Canada, I would have to search for the model I want.

That is another great price and I wish we could customize every laptop like this. I've been messing on the Dell website for over 3 months, but finally decided to take something else than Dell for the lower price.

I just wish I was in the US right now, never should have moved out.

Anyone know another canadian site I may never seen or overlooked? Thank you.

* The laptop should be shipped from canada into canada, or I'll have to pay those monstrous custom fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS