Help finding BIOS update please

fsa297

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
Alas, there is still a problem with my proposed RAM upgrade. Nothing earth shattering....just trying to get 4GB up and running. Ive done a fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit. I know all four slots are working as I tested with 4x512. Both pairs work fine when inserted separately (all four are 1GB PC2-5300). Memtest86 didnt flag up any errors on any four of my 1GB sticks. However, when I put all four in, the system does not boot up. This happened when I had Vista 32, and I presumed it was because of the RAM limit.

Now I think there's something in the BIOS...but I can't see any option that would hint at a RAM limit. The current BIOS is PhoenixTechnologies R01-A4 from Dec 2006. I found some BIOS updates for my Aspire T180 on the Acer website, but when I run the WinFlash it says it's not compatible with the installed BIOS. Its running on an AMD Athlon 64 3500+

Any ideas where to find the appropriate BIOS update, if this is indeed the problem?

Many thanks.

fsa297

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
Running as administrator says "Erase failure, maybe hardware protected". It's showing that the main block needs to be updated.

Do I need to do this in DOS mode? Any tools on the Hiren Boot CD that would help?

fsa297

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
Does this mean the BIOS is fried? It didn't even update the BIOS because it said it was hardware protected....don't understand what couldve gone wrong...