Sign in with
Your question

Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW Vertical PBP Display

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 26, 2006 10:16:53 PM

Hi everyone,

I was looking at the Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW. I noticed that it has Picture-By-Picture. This feature would come in very handy for connecting two different servers for log tailing. Being able to rotate the monitor vertically is convienient as well.

Here is my question. I want to be able to flip the monitor veritcallly and use Picture-By-Picture. Will it use the entire monitor space for PBP when using vertical? I noticed that it sets the aspect ratio for 4:3 for picture by picture when displayed horizontally. This leaves a black line on the bottom and upper space. (as shown in the cnet review video: Cnet.com - 2405FPW Review) When the monitor is adjusted to vertical display it should allow for the entire monitor space to be used. I just dont know if dell designed the monitor to function like that.

Bill
April 27, 2006 2:36:38 PM

unfortunately it uses the same area for pic by pic regardless of screen rotation. the image is in portrait but the size of the screen used stays the same as far as i can see.
April 28, 2006 12:06:13 AM

IC.

Maybe in the future they will develop a monitor that way.

I'm just gonna have to use one input source and then tail the logs with ssh or vnc into xwindows. Same deal, just not quite as convienient.

Thanks for your response.
Related resources
April 28, 2006 10:15:50 AM

it is still useful as you can still make out what is on the desktop even at that size. i am able to make it out even while still at max res and if you lower it to 1280 x 1024 it is even clearer and the same goes for lower resolutions. for general purpose it is quite clear.
May 5, 2006 5:47:37 AM

Quote:
it is still useful as you can still make out what is on the desktop even at that size. i am able to make it out even while still at max res and if you lower it to 1280 x 1024 it is even clearer and the same goes for lower resolutions. for general purpose it is quite clear.

right on.

well i ended up purchasing the Dell 2007FP. Dell had a great deal on last week. $399 CAD. It looks great.

Im using it on my server right now. Unfortunatly my video card does not support the rotation aspect. I tried downloading Pivot to emulate this feature but it just ends up crashing my video card (and my usb devices for some odd reason). I searched on google for hours but could not come accross any other software that performs this. I think the pivot software fails because im running win 2k3 small biz server. or it may just be my vid card. I just cant wait till i get my desktop fixed to see the full capabilities of this monitor.

I'll prolly buy a large dell lcd in the next year or so. I need more deskspace :) 
May 5, 2006 10:46:16 AM

glad you enjoy it. i certainly have no regrets but what gfx card do you have. even my old 9700pro could manage the rotation. i even played CS:S in a window with a web browser open at the same time. it fitted better while in portrait mode.
May 5, 2006 4:37:07 PM

I'm using the ATI RageXL PCI. Its just the default card that came with the dell poweredge 700 server. I chatted with a dell rep on their site and he said that its not compatable with that card.
May 5, 2006 4:52:01 PM

pci gfx card, hmm maybe not. i wonder if you server has a pci-x or agp lot?
May 7, 2006 2:17:57 AM

its got a few PCI-X slots (why does that sound so funny?)
!