WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
I called my telephone company and they said they offered dsl for my area but that I must live within 3.4 miles of a telephone substation. Instead of telling me whether or not there was one within 3.4 miles of me they said I could request to be hooked up and then they would check for me. My question is, does any one know if there's a site that shows you the locations of these substations in one's area or locations of telephone companies. Or, better yet, tell me what the heck a substation is so I can look around, if its possible.

While I'm at it, How much do "dirty" phone lines effect the quality of the connection in comparison to a dial up?
“Man who stand on toilet must be high on pot”-Confucius :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by WiseGuy1 on 10/17/01 09:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Havent heard the term substation. I asusme they are talking about a local Central Office (CO) Go to dslreports.com, click on Find service, and the the Where is my CO? link. Run through the steps, it will tell you the physical address of your CO. However, at least this page doesnt say anything about the DSLAM's installed. I was 14k feet and got about 500Kb Downstream, moved about one block away, where i was around 13.5K feet away, and changed providers. The phone company kept telling me they were working and I had to wait. I was pissed, cuz i knew service was available. Well, turns out it was worth the wait, they installed a DSLAM, basically a signal boost, and now i get the full 1.5 down/256 pipe up. I was pumped the first time i connected through my PPPOA client and it told me my speed not to mention the first time i downloaded communicator from the Netscape FTP and got sustained 165KB sustained download throughput.

CCNA, MCSE, A+, Cisco Certified Wireless Field Engineer

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Cool.. Do have any ideas about the line quality. I guess a better of discribing is, if I get a crappy connection with a 56k modem because old lines etc., does that mean I'm going to have a crappy dsl connection? I understand they work on two different principles but I was wondering how much dsl is affected by poor physical phone line quality.

“Man who stand on toilet must be high on pot”-Confucius :smile: