Sign in with
Your question

Win7 Nvidea update

Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
March 11, 2010 7:07:08 PM

I just updated/hotfix my computer and I was checking out the optional updates and saw GTX260 Nvidea, did the update but can't find it in my list of updates, anyone with a Nvidea card see this, or know what it is about, did a search in the MSFT knowledge base and nothing came up

More about : win7 nvidea update

a b $ Windows 7
March 12, 2010 1:33:00 AM

you can check with display driver version!
Check for version & date!
As that update belongs to Nvidia, it may get updated to Display chipset in Device manager directly!
a b $ Windows 7
March 12, 2010 3:27:08 AM

not saying its a bad idea...
but if your trying to stay current w/ updates, i suggest downloading them directly from the nVidia website...
if you've bought a recent game, use the beta drivers. They're perfectly safe to use
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
March 12, 2010 6:59:26 AM

last driver date of installation 1/11/2010 so it did not change my drivers, so try again, and please don't guess, I have searched and cannot find out anything at the KB base at MSFT
BTW, please read my post, it came from MSFT, they have never updated drivers in a Windows update, even though it's a option, I have never in 20 something years seen a Windows update drivers in a hotfix/patch/update
a b $ Windows 7
March 12, 2010 8:40:29 AM

number13 said:
last driver date of installation 1/11/2010 so it did not change my drivers, so try again, and please don't guess, I have searched and cannot find out anything at the KB base at MSFT
BTW, please read my post, it came from MSFT, they have never updated drivers in a Windows update, even though it's a option, I have never in 20 something years seen a Windows update drivers in a hotfix/patch/update

Actually, they did... I used to check for XP updates directly at the Windows Update site, and they regularly included updates for my hardware as well, including the GPU. I just never downloaded them, because I had no way to verify the version or where MS actually got the driver from.
a b $ Windows 7
March 13, 2010 7:17:58 AM

really, hmm, well the driver's in this machine are installed 1/11/2010, so I know it was not a driver update, I did see in several forums that they were having problem with W7 and GTX260+ w/1G mem, the card I am running, causing some problems, I have a Asus M/B and I have been fighting problems, CTD, BSOD's etc, but I manually set the memory to CAS 6 and it helped a lot, not perfect but better, my Gigabyte machine and my Dell laptop have no problems whatsoever, so I knew it was the hardware in this machine
a b $ Windows 7
March 13, 2010 5:10:20 PM

Never let Windoze Update install drivers.....sooner or later you'll get bitten. Let WU handle the OS....if you want to let it advise you of new drivers being available, fine....but then d/l them off manufacturer's web site.
a b $ Windows 7
March 15, 2010 10:55:15 AM

number13 said:
I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread, but this just popped up http://www.sevenforums.com/news/4242-microsoft-plans-is...
does this really say fake updates

Dude... This is ooooooold news. Microsoft rolled out a few "fake" updates, as in updates that do nothing, during the Windows 7 beta phase to test whether Update works correctly on Windows 7. This was more than a year ago...
a b $ Windows 7
March 15, 2010 11:07:43 AM

Sorry that I'm not following this, my computer updated the Nvidea 260 on the 11th of this month, and I have a retail copy, I realize this was for beta's but, I did an update, not listed in my update list, no record at MSFT, KB search has no hits, am I imagining things, good lord I hope not
a b $ Windows 7
March 15, 2010 11:12:46 AM

Questions:

1) Is your current Nvidia driver version the one you installed manually?
2) Did the apparent MS update break anything? If not I wouldn't worry about it.
a b $ Windows 7
March 15, 2010 11:21:28 AM

1. yes it is
2. nothing has changed, that is what worries me, what happened
a b $ Windows 7
March 15, 2010 11:27:30 AM

One possibility is that MS updated the Nvidia driver version bundled with Windows 7. The retail version shipped with Forceware 180something installed, so maybe they have updated this to a newer version. This would explain why it was seen as a Windows update and did not affect your installed GPU driver.
!