Sign in with
Your question

How can I install Windowss 7 !_TO_! an external drive?

Last response: in Windows 7
March 11, 2010 8:27:12 PM

I know this may sound wacky... but hear me out.

My question is:
I would like to install Windows 7 on a removable media, is that possible?

Why would I want to do this?

Well, the short answer is:
- "iPhone"

The long answer is:
1: To use my iPhone, I have to install iTunes, something which nearly killed
my previous computer. At least made it noticably slower, so I'm staying right
clear of bloat-ware for this windows-installation, period.

2: Also, I would like to have an alternative installation from where I can run anti-
virus scans.

3: Finally, as I do a bit of software-development I would like to have a separate
installation for the SDKs.

Alternatives?
Any suggestions for achieving my goal would be appreachiated.

Thank you for reading.
//Yammo
a c 215 $ Windows 7
March 11, 2010 11:03:19 PM

Windows 7 can be installed *from* removable media, such as a flash drive. Unfortunately, it cannot be installed *to* removable media. The drive must be marked as a fixed disk, otherwise Windows setup will not allow the install to continue.
m
l
March 11, 2010 11:07:55 PM

any way of circumventing this seemingly arbitrary rule?

perhaps making an iso.... ghost... or something like that and applying it to the removable disk?

as a last ditch solution, I will exchange active disks in BIOS, but I was hoping for a more
convenient solution.
m
l
Related resources
a c 215 $ Windows 7
March 12, 2010 12:01:09 AM

Well... there are tools available on the web that can flip the bit that identifies a flash drive as a removable disk or a fixed disk. Keep in mind that using these utilities can mess up your flash drive permanently (I have an 8GB flash drive I tried this on that was rendered useless).
m
l
March 22, 2010 7:37:22 AM

Update:

What seems to be the most convenient solution to my problem is a software solution.

Since I have Win7-Pro, I can download and run a virtual-XP session. Although I have
some more research to do, it seems that any programs installed in this virtual mode
will be confined to the "VirtualXP-directory", which in turn means it will be 100% dis-
connected from my regular windows.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 22, 2010 7:42:27 AM

There is a certain amount of integration between XP mode and the Windows install. You might find it easier to ring-fence an OS installation by using VirtualBox or VMWare Player. Both these are free, but you will need an OS to run on them.
m
l
March 22, 2010 5:00:21 PM

Ijack said:
There is a certain amount of integration between XP mode and the Windows install. You might find it easier to ring-fence an OS installation by using VirtualBox or VMWare Player. Both these are free, but you will need an OS to run on them.

I would add Microsoft Virtual PC to the list of virtualization software. For an OS testbed setup it works quickly, and easily. It is also free.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
March 22, 2010 9:58:34 PM

JasonAkkerman said:
I would add Microsoft Virtual PC to the list of virtualization software. For an OS testbed setup it works quickly, and easily. It is also free.

It may be free, but keep in mind it is only available to users running Windows 7 Professional or higher.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
March 23, 2010 2:23:01 PM

Wow... i really need to pay more attention. I kept thinking you said Windows XP Mode, not Virtual PC.
m
l
!