alfman05302001

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Hi All

So I am new to this forum but was wondering if anyone here might be able to help me out. I am in the market to buy and LCD monitor, but have been have not been having much success finding a lot of places that recommend features and LCD's to look for that suit my needs.

The background:
College student-->main reason to go LCD route is more desk space (cost is a factor)

Current setup-->19in Trinitron monitor running at 1600x1200 (like the way the resolution looks on the screen)

I am looking into replacing it with a 19in LCD (although I could be persuaded to get another size)

So what are my needs you might be wondering?
College student-->use of MS Office software extensively, so I need to be able to read text on it clearly.

Enjoy digital photography-->color accuracy is important

Since space is at a premium the ability to watch a DVD

I game once in a while (and usually its those cheesy flash games) is its not too important, but if I play one I don’t want it to look like crap.

I am an engineering student so I will be using it for cad type work.

Also will the difference in resolution be a huge adjustment to my eyes. I am quite fond of the way 1600*1200 looks on my 19in CRT

I think this sums up my needs fairly well, although if I did not mention something please just ask.

Thanks for your help and reading this post

Jonathan

have you checked out anyof toms reviews. they had a round up of 19" monitors recently. the problem you face is price. 19" monitors of the same resolution cost more than the ones at 1280 x 1024. can you specify how much you can spend.

alfman05302001

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Yes I have checked out the views on Tom's and the whole resolution thing is one of the biggest things holding me back from making the change. As far as price goes under 500 without a doubt (although probably lower unless there is a good reason to go that high). As far as a specific price it depends on how much money I will make from my summer internship most likly.

alfman05302001

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Right, but I was under the thought that since they are spread out over a larger area the DPI would be reduced and things will end up looking larger then they do now? I guess the easy way to solve this problem though is to go and take a look at it in a real store before I buy it (to make sure I actualy like it) then buy online and save myself some $$$$. Seeing as I dont need it till I go back to school in August mabey the price will drop too :)

Well thanks for your sugestion, from what I have been reading about this monitor it is pretty nice.

Jonathan