ASUS 1201n netbook Overheating

hero9989

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
I got this back in April for my 21st birthday and it's overheated several times already, I got this thing so I could play the odd MMO whilst on the move, but within 2 minutes of opening any game, it overheats and shuts down...

This is the temps according to HWmonitor at idle:
HWmonitorNetbook.png

I've looked on the ASUS website, the forum has no place to ask about Netbooks. I was wondering, would this be covered in the warranty and is it worth trying to RMA it? It's only 8 months old, idle temps of 80 degrees C+, rises to around 85 with just a browser and msn open. Open any kind of Game and it dies within minutes.

Yes, it should be covered by the warranty, as factory warranties typically average 1 year. I'd get in touch with Asus support and see what they have to say and they'll tell you where to send it, etc.... If they give you a line, tell them that it should not be anywhere near 80C in terms of temps and shutting down. It would seem that the fan controller may have malfunctioned, as there is no fan activity what so ever, BTW. However, sometimes spec programs are unable to read the fan speeds due to the motherboard.

hero9989

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009

The fan is definitely whirring so I think it's just not reading it right. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks =)

MrJohnSaito

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

It "seems to be" a very common problem with the 1201N. :pfff:

I always had to put ice packs underneath my machine to play games like crysis 2 or battlefield 3. Yesterday, two years after purchasing my 1201N, I finally had enough. (In my opion it is a flaw in design.)

I drilled a lot of holes into the hull underneath the fan. Problem solved. For the first time, the plastic actually feels cold while the netbook is running. :D

I can play battlefield 3 now at 79 degrees celsius (max). No more shutdowns.

Full HD videos play at arount 70 degrees celsius.

Normal temperature at super performance mode (and using the internet like at this very moment) stays between 65 to 68 degrees celsius.

:D

PS: ATTENTION! Maybe it would be enough just to remove the black adhesive strip above the rectangular shaped holes above the fan (underneath the numbers one, two, ... ). Maybe that should have been removed in the first place... I do not know. I am just glad, my netbook does live up to its official datasheet now. :sol: