Does Higher refresh rate shortens LCD life span?

yquo

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Hi I would like to know if a higher refresh rate shortens the LCD life span for instance 70 or 75 Hz instead of 60 Hz at 1280 x 1024 75 Hz and what happens for a 17" CRT monitor 75 Hz instead of 60 Hz at 1024 x 768.

Muso

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2002
If your display adapter's output is set to a higher frequency than your LCD can handle, it will usually just show an "out of range" error.

Panzerzero

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
If you think you killed you LCD by setting the refresh rate to high boot in safe mode and take the setting back down. This is a common issue and the LCD is not broken but you did set the refresh rate out of the limits. I have found most monitors won't tell you this error but it is the most common cause of people think a black blank LCD with a green light is broken.

G

seeing as LCD don't have a refresh rate i doubt it.

Granted

As for the CRT, interesting question - not one I had every considered. In short yes, it might well shorten the life.

The phosphor dots are being hit and degraded by the electron beams 75 times per second instead of 60, which might suggest a 20% reduction in the time it takes for them to burn out or darken, a phenomenon known as 'photobleaching' (at least in fluorescence spectroscopy using light to excite the phosphors, not sure what it would be called here - 'electrobleaching'?).

In practice though this was a problem with earlier monitors (10-15 years ago) the phosphor technology in CRT's has improved greatly. The chances are your CRT will die of some other problem before this every becomes an issue.

Kowalski

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
As for the CRT, interesting question - not one I had every considered. In short yes, it might well shorten the life.

The phosphor dots are being hit and degraded by the electron beams 75 times per second instead of 60, which might suggest a 20% reduction in the time it takes for them to burn out or darken

When the refresh rate is higher, the electron beam moves faster and spends less time illuminating each pixel. Each pixel isn't excited as much by the beam and doesn't reach the same peak brightness that it will at a lower refresh rate.

Whether or not this makes a difference to the lifespan of a CRT is debatable, I would suspect that a higher refresh would actually make the tube last longer but it may make the electronics last a shorter period because they are being run at a higher frequency.