How to get Windows Explorer to restore window size and pos..

mick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002

What do I need to do to get Windows Explorer to save it's window size and
position every time it's opened?

When I first installed XP, Explorer always started up with the same window
size and coordinates that it had when it was shutdown. I must have screwed up
something, because now it usually starts up with the default small window.

Is there a registry key where Explorer stores its window coordinates?

Hi

Drag the WE window to the size you want and also position it on the screen
where you want it. Then close WE via File>Close.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Mick" <Mick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What do I need to do to get Windows Explorer to save it's window size and
> position every time it's opened?
>
> When I first installed XP, Explorer always started up with the same window
> size and coordinates that it had when it was shutdown. I must have screwed
> up
> something, because now it usually starts up with the default small window.
>
> Is there a registry key where Explorer stores its window coordinates?

mick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002

Sorry, but that didn't do the trick Will. I did as you said, but the window
re-opens with the default small window size and position.

Got any other ideas?

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Drag the WE window to the size you want and also position it on the screen
> where you want it. Then close WE via File>Close.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Mick" <Mick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > What do I need to do to get Windows Explorer to save it's window size and
> > position every time it's opened?
> >
> > When I first installed XP, Explorer always started up with the same window
> > size and coordinates that it had when it was shutdown. I must have screwed
> > up
> > something, because now it usually starts up with the default small window.
> >
> > Is there a registry key where Explorer stores its window coordinates?

Hi

Not that I know of. Drag>Close/Exit works here every time. Sorry

--

> Sorry, but that didn't do the trick Will. I did as you said, but the
> window
> re-opens with the default small window size and position.
>
> Got any other ideas?
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Drag the WE window to the size you want and also position it on the
>> screen
>> where you want it. Then close WE via File>Close.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Mick" <Mick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > What do I need to do to get Windows Explorer to save it's window size
>> > and
>> > position every time it's opened?
>> >
>> > When I first installed XP, Explorer always started up with the same
>> > window
>> > size and coordinates that it had when it was shutdown. I must have
>> > screwed
>> > up
>> > something, because now it usually starts up with the default small
>> > window.
>> >
>> > Is there a registry key where Explorer stores its window coordinates?

Reapingmerlin

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I relize this is an old post how ever after searching for a while I gave up and just started hitting different key combos. For me holding Ctrl+Shift while exiting the window worked. Another neat trick is to hold the windows key and hit E, which is a hot key for windows explorer. Hope this helps someone.