Registry Cleaner

I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems of
slowing down or anything else, but, during this time I have installed
and uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a lot of junk
over time, I though about cleaning the registry.
Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated and has a
Reg Back up included?
Thanks.
24 answers Last reply
More about registry cleaner

    Don't know of a free one - however, if you're interested - - here is a
    review of features for 10 'for sale' apps:
    http://registry-repair-software-review.toptenreviews.com/?ttreng=1&ttrkey=registry+cleaner

    David Wier
    MCP
    ASP.Net MVP
    http://aspexpress.com

    "EB" <eb@news.net> wrote in message
    >I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems of slowing
    >down or anything else, but, during this time I have installed and
    >uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a lot of junk over
    >time, I though about cleaning the registry.
    > Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated and has a
    > Reg Back up included?
    > Thanks.

    With a free registry cleaner you usually also get free problems.
    The only one I have used and trusted is found in System mechanic.

    You can try it free for 30 days and the trial is fully functional.
    http://www.iolo.com/sm/index.cfm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "EB" wrote:

    | I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems of
    | slowing down or anything else, but, during this time I have installed
    | and uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a lot of junk
    | over time, I though about cleaning the registry.
    | Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated and has a
    | Reg Back up included?
    | Thanks.

    Hello, I use a free program : RegSeeker by Hover.inc.
    http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
    Take Care.
    beamish.

    In news:%%Xte.7010$hK3.2724@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net,
    EB <eb@news.net> typed:

    > I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems
    > of
    > slowing down or anything else, but, during this time I have
    > installed
    > and uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a
    > lot of
    > junk over time, I though about cleaning the registry.
    > Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated
    > and
    > has a Reg Back up included?

    With rare exceptions, none of that "junk" hurts you. It's much
    more likely that a registry cleaner--*any* registry
    cleaner--will hurt you than help you. I recommend staying away
    from them all.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    EasyCleaner
    [[EasyCleaner is a small program which searches Windows' registry for
    entries that are pointing nowhere. EasyCleaner also lets you delete all
    kinds of unnecessary files like temps, backups etc.]]

    [[EasyCleaner creates .REG-file from all entries deleted on the same
    session, and by double-clicking the *.REG-file you can add those previously
    deleted entries back to the registry.] i.e. EasyCleaner makes backup (Undo
    files) that you can use to replace something that you deleted using
    EasyCleaner.]]
    http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%%Xte.7010$hK3.2724@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net,
    EB <eb@news.net> hunted and pecked:
    > I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems of
    > slowing down or anything else, but, during this time I have installed
    > and uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a lot of junk
    > over time, I though about cleaning the registry.
    > Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated and has a
    > Reg Back up included?
    > Thanks.

    Just use Regclean. It works great and as far as what others have said
    not cleaning up the registry WILL make your machine run slower
    especially logging in (if you have alot of junk in it). Also it will
    get rid of some entries from spyware that the tools may leave behind.

    By the way for those of you that say that regclean is not for XP only
    up untill win2k there have been extensive tests done to see if it will
    cause any ill effects to XP and it does NOT.

    --
    mbrown
    mbrown's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=684

    System Mechanic has a very good registry cleaner. They have a fully
    functional 30 day trial. www.iolo.com
    Also, try these
    http://majorgeeks.com/download414.html

    http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2048

    "EB" <eb@news.net> wrote in message
    >I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems of slowing
    >down or anything else, but, during this time I have installed and
    >uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a lot of junk over
    >time, I though about cleaning the registry.
    > Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated and has a
    > Reg Back up included?
    > Thanks.

    You might try WinASO Registry Optimizer. It allows 10 "fixes" at a
    time for the free version. Unlimited for the registered. At ten at a
    time it may take a while but it seems to work and yes does make back
    ups of what it fixes/deletes.

    EB wrote:
    > I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems of
    > slowing down or anything else, but, during this time I have installed
    > and uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a lot of junk
    > over time, I though about cleaning the registry.
    > Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated and has a
    > Reg Back up included?
    > Thanks.

    The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
    the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
    device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
    registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
    loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
    confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
    each and every change. Having seen the results of inexperienced people
    using automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
    experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
    Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
    of the inexperienced user.

    The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
    and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
    your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
    experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
    no matter how safe they claim to be.

    Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
    use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
    inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
    no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
    products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
    or stability.

    What specific problem are you experiencing that you *know* beyond
    all reasonable doubt will be fixed by using an automated registry
    cleaner? If you do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it
    would be far better to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only
    the specific key(s) and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. Why
    use a shotgun when a scalpel will do the job? Additionally, the
    manually changing of one or two registry entries is far less likely to
    have the dire consequences of allowing an automated product to make
    multiple changes simultaneously.

    I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
    far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I strongly
    encourage others to acquire the knowledge, as well.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:26:23 -0500, mbrown
    <mbrown.1qzugv@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote:

    |Just use Regclean. It works great and as far as what others have said
    |not cleaning up the registry WILL make your machine run slower
    |especially logging in (if you have alot of junk in it)
    Not so on my PC which used to boot in 150' & now takes
    40'. Cant get much faster. Services & Startups were
    critical, not Registry. Details at
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/61faeb63ba3fb361/50ca96cc1f588839?q=group:microsoft.public.windowsxp.general+insubject:More+insubject:Services+insubject:%3D+insubject:50%25+insubject:Less+insubject:Boot+insubject:Time&rnum=1&hl=en#50ca96cc1f588839

    HTH-Larry
    Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 19:08:19 -0600, Bruce Chambers
    <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

    | Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
    |use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
    |inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
    |no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
    |products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
    |or stability.
    Key point Bruce. If it does no good, tthe safety is
    moot point. NO efficacy re boot time as my post above
    states:
    my PC which used to boot in 150' & now takes 40'. Cant
    get much faster. Services & Startups were critical, not
    Registry. Details at
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/61faeb63ba3fb361/50ca96cc1f588839?q=group:microsoft.public.windowsxp.general+insubject:More+insubject:Services+insubject:%3D+insubject:50%25+insubject:Less+insubject:Boot+insubject:Time&rnum=1&hl=en#50ca96cc1f588839

    I'm doing a study which shows each app installed adds
    about .6% or less to Registry so even if u dont
    uninstall anything it's a pimple on an elephants ass
    :) Will publish final results here after I recheck
    numbers so all anal retentive spellers can check my
    spelling :)

    HTH-Larry
    Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

    Bruce,

    I have some experience with the registry and I like to have other tools
    available to use besides Regedit.exe and F3. So I use EasyCleaner.

    I also use a screwdriver, not a pocket knife, when I drive screws. ;-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:upW0hbsdFHA.3328@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Bruce Chambers <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> hunted and pecked:
    > EB wrote:
    >> I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems of
    >> slowing down or anything else, but, during this time I have installed
    >> and uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a lot of junk
    >> over time, I though about cleaning the registry.
    >> Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated and has a
    >> Reg Back up included?
    >> Thanks.
    >

    > The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
    > the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
    > device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
    > registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
    > loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
    > confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
    > each and every change. Having seen the results of inexperienced people
    > using automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
    > experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
    > Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
    > of the inexperienced user.
    >
    > The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
    > and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
    > your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
    > experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
    > no matter how safe they claim to be.
    >
    > Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
    > use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
    > inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
    > no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
    > products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
    > or stability.
    >
    > What specific problem are you experiencing that you *know* beyond
    > all reasonable doubt will be fixed by using an automated registry
    > cleaner? If you do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it
    > would be far better to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only
    > the specific key(s) and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. Why
    > use a shotgun when a scalpel will do the job? Additionally, the
    > manually changing of one or two registry entries is far less likely to
    > have the dire consequences of allowing an automated product to make
    > multiple changes simultaneously.
    >
    > I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
    > far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I strongly
    > encourage others to acquire the knowledge, as well.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    Carey is making jokes!!!!!

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message news:%232eQobodFHA.1448@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > With a free registry cleaner you usually also get free problems.
    > The only one I have used and trusted is found in System mechanic.
    >
    > You can try it free for 30 days and the trial is fully functional.
    > http://www.iolo.com/sm/index.cfm
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "EB" wrote:
    >
    > | I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems of
    > | slowing down or anything else, but, during this time I have installed
    > | and uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a lot of junk
    > | over time, I though about cleaning the registry.
    > | Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated and has a
    > | Reg Back up included?
    > | Thanks.

    What I want to know is,,, during the 30 day free trial period, do you get
    free trial problems??

    :)

    Don

    David Candy wrote:
    > Carey is making jokes!!!!!
    >
    >> With a free registry cleaner you usually also get free problems.
    >> The only one I have used and trusted is found in System mechanic.
    >>
    >> You can try it free for 30 days and the trial is fully functional.
    >> http://www.iolo.com/sm/index.cfm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    >> "EB" wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems of
    >>> slowing down or anything else, but, during this time I have
    >>> installed and uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows
    >>> collects a lot of junk over time, I though about cleaning the
    >>> registry.
    >>> Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated and
    >>> has a Reg Back up included?
    >>> Thanks.

    Here are 5 issues that regclean can cause. Type Regclean in help with search options set to All MS Products.

    This issue may also occur if you run RegClean, version 3.0 or 4.0, on your computer, and then attempt to run Visual Basic for Applications code that uses Automation to control another program. The issue occurs because RegClean 3.0 or 4.0 removes the keys that are required to use Automation.
    Do Not Use the Microsoft Utility RegClean 4.1 with Visual Studio or Any Visual Studio Applications:

    If you run RegClean 4.1 (build 97.71), you might find (if you have Visual C++ Enterprise or Visual Basic Enterprise installed) that the Database Designer no longer works or (if you have Visual InterDev installed) the Database Designer and LinkView tools no longer work. If you have run RegClean, then reinstall the Visual Studio applications as appropriate.

    This is a problem that occurs only with packaged media. Packaged media is multimedia file that has been encrypted using Windows Media Rights Manager and can only be played by obtaining a valid license. There following two issues may cause this problem:
    • You have run the RegClean utility, which has removed registry keys necessary to play packaged content.

    RegClean
    RegClean may remove a critical registry entry for the Java COM component that is wrapped by Griddtc.ocx. Check for the existence of the registry key show below, and manually add it to the registry if it is missing.
    SYMPTOMS
    When you run the RegClean utility after you install one of the products listed in the "Applies to" section, you may experience one of the following symptoms: • The RegClean utility finds errors in the System Registry, and you receive the option to Fix Errors in the RegClean utility.
    • When you install a Microsoft Office program whose installation state is Installed on First Use and then double-click a document that is associated with that program, the Office program may not start. Instead, the Open With dialog box appears and the Office program is not listed.

    "mbrown" <mbrown.1qzugv@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message news:mbrown.1qzugv@no-mx.msusenet.com...

    > Just use Regclean. It works great and as far as what others have said
    > not cleaning up the registry WILL make your machine run slower
    > especially logging in (if you have alot of junk in it). Also it will
    > get rid of some entries from spyware that the tools may leave behind.
    >
    > By the way for those of you that say that regclean is not for XP only
    > up untill win2k there have been extensive tests done to see if it will
    > cause any ill effects to XP and it does NOT.
    >

    > --
    > mbrown
    > mbrown's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=684

    Hi EB - You say, " I have been running WinXP for a long while without any
    problems of
    slowing down or anything else, but, during this time I have installed
    and uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a lot of
    junk over time, I though about cleaning the registry."

    If you aren't having problems, why would you want to screw with your
    Registry?

    In my experience all of these Reg cleaners, even the best, are fraught with
    danger. I advise against using them except in one specific instance, that
    is when you have one that is capable of doing specific Reg searches, and you
    NEED (not just WANT) to remove the remaining traces of something that didn't
    get uninstalled correctly. (and you didn't have foresight enough to install
    it using Total Uninstall, http://www.martau.com/tu.html or direct dwnld
    here: http://www.simtel.net/product.download.mirrors.php?id=61416, in the
    first place.) (As an aside, there are, however, some third party Registry
    Editors which can be of great help with both the incorrect uninstall and
    with certain malware problems, especially some of theCoolWebSearch types
    such as the AppInit_DLLs variant of the about:blank version of CWS, for
    example. I can recommend Registrar Lite, here:
    http://www.resplendence.com/reglite .)

    There are a couple of specific bugs that can cause abnormal growth in either
    the System or Software hives; however, they are rare, and unless these hives
    in %SystemRoot%\System32\config are very, very large (in the hundreds of
    megabytes), then I would council you to leave your Registry alone except for
    the special circumstances I mentioned above.

    I and most other MVP's that I know believe that Registry modifications of
    any type are probably best done manually, very carefully, with a thorough
    knowledge of what's installed on your machine, and what you're doing, and
    then only when necessary. There's very little (if any!) noticeable benefit
    in either space saving or speed achievable by cleaning out the Registry
    except in those few cases where there's a specific problem the client is
    experiencing (usually uninstall or malware related in my experience) that
    needs to be fixed.

    Lastly, if you must screw around with your Registry, then at least get
    Erunt/Erdnt, and run it before you do the Reg clean. You'll then have a
    true restore available to you. Read below to see why you might not just
    using the Reg cleaner's restore:

    Get Erunt here for all NT-based computers including XP:
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/index.htm I've set it up to
    take a scheduled backup each night at 12:01AM on a weekly round-robin basis,
    and a Monthly on the 1st of each month. See here for how to set that up:
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/erunt.txt, and for some
    useful information about this subject.

    This program is one of the best things around - saved my butt on many
    occasions, and will also run very nicely from a DOS prompt (in case you've
    done something that won't let you boot any more and need to revert to a
    previous Registry) IF you're FAT32 OR have a DOS startup disk with NTFS
    write drivers in an NTFS system. (There is also a way using the Recovery
    Console to get back to being "bootable" even without separate DOS write NTFS
    drivers, after which you can do a "normal" Erdnt restore.) (BTW, it also
    includes a Registry defragger program). Free, and very, very highly
    recommended.

    FYI, quoting from the above document:

    "Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to make a
    complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole registry
    (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is saved), nor can the
    exported file be used later to replace the current registry with the old
    one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is merged with the current
    registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of old and new registry keys.

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    My, Blog Defending Your Machine, here:

    "EB" <eb@news.net> wrote in message
    > I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems of
    > slowing down or anything else, but, during this time I have installed
    > and uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a lot of
    > junk over time, I though about cleaning the registry.
    > Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated and
    > has a Reg Back up included?
    > Thanks.

    Try using a 30 day trial version of JV16, go to
    http://www.macecraft.com/home/ to download this program.

    "Jim Byrd" <jrbyrd@spamlessadelphia.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    > complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole registry
    > (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is saved), nor can
    > the
    > exported file be used later to replace the current registry with the old
    > one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is merged with the current
    > registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of old and new registry keys.
    >

    > --
    > Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    > My, Blog Defending Your Machine, here:
    >
    > "EB" <eb@news.net> wrote in message
    >> I have been running WinXP for a long while without any problems of
    >> slowing down or anything else, but, during this time I have installed
    >> and uninstalled software, and knowing how Windows collects a lot of
    >> junk over time, I though about cleaning the registry.
    >> Has anyone used a Free Registry cleaner that's not complicated and

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:51:11 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
    <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Bruce,
    >
    >I have some experience with the registry and I like to have other tools
    >available to use besides Regedit.exe and F3. So I use EasyCleaner.
    >
    >I also use a screwdriver, not a pocket knife, when I drive screws. ;-)

    I was also going to mention EasyCleaner. It seems to narrow down its
    search to reasonable area, and doesn't rip through the registry
    autocleaning things at random. It makes a list of items that it
    believes are orphaned entries and allows you to decide what to do with
    them. (Best be positive that you don't need them. Playing Registry
    Roulette with an automatic cleaner is not wise.)

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 06:17:37 GMT, "Larry(LJL269)" <NO@EMAIL.COM>
    wrote:

    > Key point Bruce. If it does no good, tthe safety is
    >moot point. NO efficacy re boot time as my post above
    >states:
    >my PC which used to boot in 150' & now takes 40'. Cant
    >get much faster. Services & Startups were critical, not
    >Registry. Details at
    >http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/61faeb63ba3fb361/50ca96cc1f588839?q=group:microsoft.public.windowsxp.general+insubject:More+insubject:Services+insubject:%3D+insubject:50%25+insubject:Less+insubject:Boot+insubject:Time&rnum=1&hl=en#50ca96cc1f588839

    Interesting thread. For the word-wrap impaired, it's:
    http://tinyurl.com/drc7p
    (Larry, you can go to TinyUrl.com, copy the URL, and get back a short
    'autoroute' to that URL)

    Of particular interest in the thread mentioned, the comments on needed
    services running at boot time vs manual startup later:
    http://tinyurl.com/7qjkc

    I think the point, though, is that it's relatively easy to disable a
    given service to speed up boot time, as that service can (usually) be
    enabled again. Of course, disabling services without checking them
    thoroughly can be almost as bad as deleting registry keys.

    As far as competence in dealing with registry keys...I think that's
    relative. I'd like to find a person on this planet that knows what's
    in an XP registry that's been active for over a year. You can check
    out what model disk drives you used back in 1999, etc. Some scarey
    stuff, and it's never going away. You've got to reinstall to truly
    clean it.

    I realize that the registry is essential to the way the NT/XP kernel
    works, but it's so misused that every little app you run is gonna jam
    something in there. Some (including XP at times) go hog-wild, leaving
    me wondering how XP keeps running with all that trash. lt makes me
    miss those old-fashioned INI files.

    Future apps are supposed to take advantage of .NET's functions,
    including local XML config files (yes, Microsoft misses INI files now,
    too). Still, so many apps use the registry that it will remain a
    millstone for years to come.

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 06:28:18 -0400, _RR <_RR@nomail.org> wrote:

    > Some (including XP at times) go hog-wild, leaving
    >me wondering how XP keeps running with all that trash. lt makes me
    >miss those old-fashioned INI files.

    Talking about ugly-ware, I found that Webroot Spysweeper creates
    registry keys for every entry in your favorites folder, which in my
    case, means looking at an hourglass for quite a while if you open that
    key in regedit. I can confirm reports that Spysweeper also flags some
    empty registry keys as specific viruses/malware. I guess it would
    look stupid if they reported "Nope, didn't find anything." Now I'm
    curious about whether they'll clean up the registry when I uninstall.
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    How about Norton or AOL for registry pukers?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:d5unb15krgpatrb58i08chbn6n0csn7vdu@4ax.com,
    _RR <_RR@nomail.org> hunted and pecked:
    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 06:28:18 -0400, _RR <_RR@nomail.org> wrote:
    >
    >> Some (including XP at times) go hog-wild, leaving
    >> me wondering how XP keeps running with all that trash. lt makes me
    >> miss those old-fashioned INI files.
    >
    > Talking about ugly-ware, I found that Webroot Spysweeper creates
    > registry keys for every entry in your favorites folder, which in my
    > case, means looking at an hourglass for quite a while if you open that
    > key in regedit. I can confirm reports that Spysweeper also flags some
    > empty registry keys as specific viruses/malware. I guess it would
    > look stupid if they reported "Nope, didn't find anything." Now I'm
    > curious about whether they'll clean up the registry when I uninstall.
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    >In news:d5unb15krgpatrb58i08chbn6n0csn7vdu@4ax.com,
    >_RR <_RR@nomail.org> hunted and pecked:
    >> Talking about ugly-ware, I found that Webroot Spysweeper creates
    >> registry keys for every entry in your favorites folder, which in my
    >> case, means looking at an hourglass for quite a while if you open that
    >> key in regedit.

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:59:00 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
    <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

    >How about Norton or AOL for registry pukers?
    >
    >--
    >Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    >Wes
    >MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    Thanks for the help, Wes! I'll load them right away.

    How about an Iron Cage Match for Registry Pigs. In this corner we
    have Webroot Spysweeper, weighing in at 3.4 MBytes.

    I just exported my Webroot reg key, and the .reg file is really
    3.4 MB. Can Norton or AOL beat that?
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Greetings & thank you for your response.

    <_RR@nomail.org> wrote:

    |Interesting thread. For the word-wrap impaired, it's:
    |http://tinyurl.com/drc7p
    |(Larry, you can go to TinyUrl.com, copy the URL, and get back a short
    |'autoroute' to that URL)
    TY & I knew about tinturl but hadnt used it yet- I
    shall in future if long url's r a problem.

    |Of particular interest in the thread mentioned, the comments on needed
    |services running at boot time vs manual startup later:
    |http://tinyurl.com/7qjkc
    |
    |I think the point, though, is that it's relatively easy to disable a
    |given service to speed up boot time, as that service can (usually) be
    |enabled again. Of course, disabling services without checking them
    |thoroughly can be almost as bad as deleting registry keys.
    MY pont was that by turning 2 services ON
    automatic my boot time was reduced by 50%. Yet I'm
    running 2 Windows XP's and that is exactly what
    happened in both

    |As far as competence in dealing with registry keys...I think that's
    |relative. I'd like to find a person on this planet that knows what's
    |in an XP registry that's been active for over a year. You can check
    |out what model disk drives you used back in 1999, etc. Some scarey
    |stuff, and it's never going away. You've got to reinstall to truly
    |clean it.
    I operate there with confidence but rely on others
    for what to do. I must have 50 tweaks easy. Reseach I
    have done shows that even max bounds on benefits from
    optimising it r ridiculously small (<1%) so ur time
    would be better spent elsewhere..

    Just my 2¢ worth. Larry
    Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Wow!

    And in this corner..............wearing no trunks at all.

    For me, one ERDNT backup is only 27.0 MB and that includes some ERDNT
    software.

    As a comparison....

    %HOMEDRIVE%\Documents and Settings\Documents and
    Settings\Administrator\NTUSER.DAT 544 KB
    %allusersprofile%\ntuser.dat 256 KB
    %HOMEDRIVE%\Documents and Settings\Documents and Settings\Default
    User\NTUSER.DAT 228 KB
    %HOMEDRIVE%\Documents and Settings\Documents and
    Settings\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT 228 KB
    %HOMEDRIVE%\Documents and Settings\Documents and
    Settings\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT 228 KB
    %homepath%\NTUSER.DAT 9.75 MB
    %windir%\repair\ntuser.dat 228 KB
    %windir%\repair\software 7.76 MB
    %windir%\repair\security 28.0 KB
    %windir%\repair\system 1.21 MB
    %windir%\repair\sam 24.0 KB
    %windir%\repair\default 228 KB
    %windir%\system32\config\systemprofile\ntuser.dat 256 KB

    %windir%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\software 15.0 MB
    %windir%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SECURITY 36.0 KB
    %windir%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\system 2.75 MB
    %windir%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SAM 24.0 KB
    %windir%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\default 256 KB

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:k13pb1t3qjc5v2rsltts4r7gt8aufi548b@4ax.com,
    _RR <_RR@nomail.org> hunted and pecked:
    >> In news:d5unb15krgpatrb58i08chbn6n0csn7vdu@4ax.com,
    >> _RR <_RR@nomail.org> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Talking about ugly-ware, I found that Webroot Spysweeper creates
    >>> registry keys for every entry in your favorites folder, which in my
    >>> case, means looking at an hourglass for quite a while if you open that
    >>> key in regedit.
    >
    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:59:00 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
    > <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> How about Norton or AOL for registry pukers?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Thanks for the help, Wes! I'll load them right away.
    >
    > How about an Iron Cage Match for Registry Pigs. In this corner we
    > have Webroot Spysweeper, weighing in at 3.4 MBytes.
    >
    > I just exported my Webroot reg key, and the .reg file is really
    > 3.4 MB. Can Norton or AOL beat that?

Registry Cleaner Microsoft Windows XP