Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Bluetooth recording software for phone calls on PC

Last response: in General Connectivity
July 20, 2010 1:35:17 PM

I'm wondering if there is any software out there that makes the computer emulate a bluetooth headset for a cell phone and records phone calls onto the hard drive, automatically or at the user's discretion.

The hardware for communication (microphone & speaker) is then chosen in the same manner as it is in e.g. Skype or even redirected back to the phone if possible.
October 18, 2010 4:36:18 PM

If there is, it's not in the public domain. Get a job at the CIA or NSA
October 18, 2010 8:46:34 PM

But this software is nothing special really from a technical standpoint. If I had some programming skills I would write some of this software myself.

I have managed to hook up my old motorola V3 phone to my laptop so that the sound came from the laptop speakers. All that remains is some software that tap into this and stores it onto the harddrive and forwards the communication to another microphone and speaker. There must be some good libraries (such as the .net framework or Visual x runtimes) out there with premade functions for this.

Recording features are available on many cell phones such as Palm Pre and Nokia's Symbian based phones. Android based phones don't have this feature as well implemented for some weird reason. At least the Symbian phones captures the sound directly from the mobile stream which Android phones don't.

But there is nothing that goes against a computer in terms of storage and recording management capabilities and I want to be able to record my phone calls at my discretion and keep them on my computer.
Related resources
October 18, 2010 9:16:22 PM

You can record the audio in sure, but you can't connect the phone as a speaker using bluetooth to the laptop.
October 26, 2010 5:34:43 PM

Any bluetooth handsfree set is a small computer that connects a speaker (or two) and a microphone to the phone over a bluetooth link.

So of course it is fully doable to make a regular computer emulate a headset and record the audio stream while passing it to a set of speaker(s)+microphone.

If there is any software available for this is another question. At least I think there should be.
October 31, 2010 5:33:02 PM

You should read up on wiretapping laws. There is a reason I said you should get a job at the CIA or NSA if you want some tech to do this. Unless you have a warrant you can't record a 2-way converstation without telling the other party.
October 31, 2010 9:28:27 PM

I don't know of any such laws and I don't see how such laws, if they exist would be violated when I choose to record my own phone conversations. If there were laws against recording one's own phone conversations, whether it be with or without the other person's consent, that wouldn't make any sense at all.

But let us assume that this law exists, it wouldn't make such equipment per se illegal because if I decide to record a phone conversation I can always play fair and say; "I'm going to record this phone conversation - hang up or accept!". So making this feature illegal would be like making the a knife illegal because you can murder someone with it.

The fact is that some cell phones have this possibility and this feature is used frequently by professionals such as doctors and lawyers not to mention journalists.

Oh, I don't live in the U.S. and I'm quite sure that we don't have these laws here.
November 1, 2010 7:16:11 PM

Well out of the US is different, then whatever laws are used there apply.

http://www.callcorder.com/phone-recording-law.htm

The issue with recording your own phone converstations, unless you are talking to yourself, there is another person you are recording. There is obviously no issues with that if you don't do anything with the recording but if you are doing it to blackmail or catch some-one doing something illegal, the courts would have a say in how it was recorded.
May 4, 2011 9:39:56 PM

Old topic, I'm aware, and I apologize.

But for any searchers out there that stumble across this, both previous posters are incorrect regarding US wiretapping laws.

In a nutshell... most US States are either "one party consent" or "two party consent" States. The names, as you may have guessed, indicate how many people involved in a conversation must be made aware that it is being recorded.

In a one party State, you can basically record any conversation of which you are a party to. This is because "one party" (you) are aware of the recording. In a two party state, both you and the person you are speaking to must be aware of the situation. Note that only the people engaged in the convo can be counted as having given consent. Even in a one-party State, a third party can not "spy" on your conversation without consent. This "no consent" right is reserved law enforcement offices in possession of a wiretapping warrant.

And as the OP points out, you can easily open the conversation by notifying the other party that they are being recorded. This will satisfy the requirements of both a one and a two-party State. This is commonly what customer service hotlines do in order to circumvent the consent laws. They claim the recordings are done "for training purposes" (and they are), but they can also be used for other purposes. By remaining on the line, you've given consent.

The real debate begins to rage when a person in a one-party state is recording a conversation when they are speaking to someone that resides in a two-party State. It is possible that while the recorder may not be breaking the laws of his State, he is violating the laws of another. The question then becomes "where" did the conversation occur, and does the violated State have jurisdiction? Those are rhetorical questions, by the way. We haven't been bestowed with the power to decide. It is reserved for Judges.

The above is my non-legally expert understanding of the laws as explained to me by an attorney friend.
July 1, 2011 6:28:55 PM

Canada is the same. It is against the law to record a conversation without first notifying the other party on the phone. Sure it may be your own call, but the other person/company is also a part of the phone call and by law, they must be notified that the call is being recorded.
July 7, 2011 8:29:18 PM

Aaaaaaand back to the available EQUIPMENT ...
August 15, 2011 2:58:15 PM

scottcarswell said:
Canada is the same. It is against the law to record a conversation without first notifying the other party on the phone. Sure it may be your own call, but the other person/company is also a part of the phone call and by law, they must be notified that the call is being recorded.

no you don't who told you that I had a friend that was threatened over the phone so I told her to record the calls so she did and afterwards the police were called they listened to the call took there own recording of it and in court the judge allowed it, if it was iilegal it would not be allowed in court, yes we check with a lawyer before we did this. So were did you get your law degree Scott I sure wouldn't want you representing me in court
August 29, 2011 1:06:18 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
!