No display but fans are running

June 21, 2005 10:01:07 PM

Last week Wednesday, after downloading and installed the latest drivers
from ATI Official website for my graphics card (Radeon 9550), I decided
to check out how different Catalyst, the new driver, is different from
the driver that came with the box. The Catalyst software gives a lot
more control to the user and, being a graphics dummy, I did not noticed
much differences but I have to admit playing Counter-Strike Source is a
lot more smoother and the game loads up quicker. There's probably 30%
improvement. Everything went smooth and I began to convinced myself
being lucky.

The next evening, I finished working on a video and decided to burn it
onto DVD. I used Nero 6 VisionExpress to do that and left it over night
as the entire process would take up to 2 hours and it was already late.

The next morning, I tried moving the mouse and keyboard to terminate
Windows XP's screensaver and PowerSave mode on my TFT screen but
nothing. I thought something must be faulty with my wireless keyboard
and mouse, and indeed, there was no lights on the
recepter/transmittor.

Ejected the DVD out of the DVD-RW drive and saw that nothing was
written on it. Fine. Rebooted my machine by powering off. BIOS
sequences and memory clock check were running fine. Log onto Windows
and just before every programs in the background loads up successfully,
the system suddenly reboots. Again, BIOS and memory check were normal,
but this time the reboot interval just got shorter. It rebooted again
at logon screen.

Fine. I tried getting into SAFE-MODE and didn't know what to do. It
lasted longer than I expected before the random reboot hits again. This
time I did not even get up to where I can hit F8 or any function keys.
Rebooted again. This time, just after memory clock check, it rebooted
again.

Finally, there was nothing on my screen. The reboot interval just got
shorter and shorter until there was nothing to display. What is wrong?
I had thought it was virus but the possibility of a virus attack has
been ruled out.

Some software attacks (computer virus) will cause similar behavior but
it does not cause "no display" on screen. Only very old viruses known
to exist in the 60's or 70's does this. It cannot be Nimda mass-mailer
virus too because I do not have opened shared-folder on the network.

The other possibilities are:
1. HDD
2. Graphics card
3. CPU
4. Mainboard/motherboard
5. BIOS battery
6. DDRam
7. PCI cards (hardwares)

First, the specifications of my desktop system:
a. ASUS P4C800E- Deluxe mainboard
b. 2 HDDs, 30GB & 80GB. Purchased another 160GB yesterday.
c. ATI Radeon 9550 128MB
d. 4 USB 2.0 ports Internal card
e. RealTek Ethernet card
f. Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS, sound card.
g. Microsoft Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
h. SONY DVD-RW
i. 1.44" Floppy drive
j. 512 MB DDR Single Channel
k. 17" LG TFT monitor
l. 2.8 GHz Pentium IV with HT Technology

Today, I began the "Minimal Hardware Diagnosis", by removing all known
hardwares that's affixed to the mainboard leaving only the necessaries
-- HDD(s), Video card, Memory. Powered up... no display, but all fans
are running. The running fans are Casing fans, CPU fans, and Graphic
card fans. But I couldn't heard the HDD's writing sound as any would
when booting up. From here, I ruled out all others except for mainboard
and memory.

The displays on the casing showing a temperature of 27 centigrade,
which is deemed normal.

I removed the CPU and check if it was burnt. There are no physical
markings of burnt like charring or scratches. So, I ruled out CPU,
thus, leaving only one more possibility--the ATI 9550 graphic card.

I just recalled that I have installed Catalyst. Could this be the
problem? They no display symptom is the only belivable reason to all
these. To check if there was nothing wrong with my TFT screen, I
plugged it into my laptop and everything on my desktop displays on the
TFT. No problems with TFT monitor then.

Now, from the video card, there could be another possibility and that
is the AGP slot. Could it be damaged or faulty? Could both be faulty?
If it is, what was the cause?

I read some forums outlining the potential problems/issues with
Catalyst, the latest driver by ATI claiming to be one of their best
innovations and improvements. I have read other issues too that, when I
summarize them, the graphic card seems to be the root of all the
complications. Some say that the Catalyst induce the video card to
overclock itself.

Does writing DVD uses the video card's resources? I check my video
card's capacitors as well as the mainboard's, but none of them were
broken. All are still sealed intact. This also ruled out the
mainboard's possibility?? I'm not sure. I am hoping there someone out
there is able to point me in the correct direction.

--
dat789Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

More about : display fans running

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 10:01:08 PM

Do you have a good quality Power Supply? What's the Wattage?
"dat789" <dat789.1qzldy@> wrote in message
news:o LadnUFXKu6i0CXfRVn_vg@giganews.com...

> [...]
>
> Now, from the video card, there could be another possibility and that
> is the AGP slot. Could it be damaged or faulty? Could both be faulty?
> If it is, what was the cause?
>
> I read some forums outlining the potential problems/issues with
> Catalyst, the latest driver by ATI claiming to be one of their best
> innovations and improvements. I have read other issues too that, when I
> summarize them, the graphic card seems to be the root of all the
> complications. Some say that the Catalyst induce the video card to
> overclock itself.
>
> Does writing DVD uses the video card's resources? I check my video
> card's capacitors as well as the mainboard's, but none of them were
> broken. All are still sealed intact. This also ruled out the
> mainboard's possibility?? I'm not sure. I am hoping there someone out
> there is able to point me in the correct direction.

June 22, 2005 6:40:54 PM

--
dat789Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 10:59:24 PM

300W may be just at the margin. I would try using Motherboard Monitor a
free Utility. It gives you a readout of your
3.3, 5 and 12v lines and they should not dip below 5%. You can get it
here.

!