I have a retail version of XP PRO which I installed on an older computer.
This machine is dead and will never be used again. Is it permissable to
install the XP PRO on another computer? If so, what special steps do I need
to take to do this?
--
Rick W
"If it's worth doing - it's too hard"

O U CAD wrote:
> I have a retail version of XP PRO which I installed on an older
> computer. This machine is dead and will never be used again. Is it
> permissable to install the XP PRO on another computer? If so, what
> special steps do I need to take to do this?

Install it.
Activate it.
Use it.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

O U CAD wrote:
> I have a retail version of XP PRO which I installed on an older
> computer. This machine is dead and will never be used again. Is it
> permissable to install the XP PRO on another computer?

Yes.

> If so, what
> special steps do I need to take to do this?

Install it on a different computer that isn't dead.

--
Peace!
Kurt

O U CAD wrote:
> I have a retail version of XP PRO which I installed on an older computer.
> This machine is dead and will never be used again. Is it permissable to
> install the XP PRO on another computer? If so, what special steps do I need
> to take to do this?

No special steps required.

Assuming a retail license (OEM licenses are not legitimately
transferable), simply remove WinXP from the computer it is currently on
and then install it on the new computer. If it's been more than 120
days since you last activated that specific Product Key, the you'll most
likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

Here are the facts pertaining to activation:

Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/

Windows Product Activation (WPA)
http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

--