Deleting Folders from Program folder

June 21, 2005 2:47:06 PM

I have got a few programs in the program folder that is in the C:\ that i
have uninstalled from the computer.

Is it safe to delete these folders?

Hope you can help me

Thanks
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 2:47:07 PM

If what you are writing is that you have uninstalled software using Control Panel/Add or
Remove Programs, and that folders for those programs remain (usually with a just a couple
of data files in them, or maybe empty), it would seem they were not clean uninstalls. It
is not unusual for an uninstall to leave some folders, Start menu items, and registry
strings/keys. If the above is the case, deleting the remaining folders for the
uninstalled software is safe.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

"Ongman" <Ongman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have got a few programs in the program folder that is in the C:\ that i
> have uninstalled from the computer.
>
> Is it safe to delete these folders?
>

> Hope you can help me
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 5:49:53 PM

If the Program is truly uninstalled, then deleting the orphan folders is
OK.

Ongman wrote:

> I have got a few programs in the program folder that is in the C:\ that i
> have uninstalled from the computer.
>
> Is it safe to delete these folders?
>

> Hope you can help me
>
> Thanks

Related resources
June 21, 2005 11:39:20 PM

Generally speaking it's safe to delete them, except in the rare case that
some functionality of the program is used by other programs that you have
installed. If you are worried about it, you could temporarily copy it
elsewhere, and delete it when you've checked things are working as normal.

Jon

"Ongman" <Ongman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have got a few programs in the program folder that is in the C:\ that i
> have uninstalled from the computer.
>
> Is it safe to delete these folders?
>

> Hope you can help me
>
> Thanks

June 26, 2005 6:05:24 PM

Ongman wrote:

> I have got a few programs in the program folder that is in the C:\ that i
> have uninstalled from the computer.
>
> Is it safe to delete these folders?
>

> Hope you can help me
>
> Thanks

To add to what others have said, if unsure, move them to another
location. If no programs complain after running for a few days, then
delete.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User