Computer suddenly shuts down during games

For some strange reason, my laptop randomly shuts down during a game. Then,
when I start it up again, it shuts down while Windows is loading. I'm
guessing its an overheat problem? I'm guessing this because the computer will
start up normally after waiting for a minute or two. How can I fix this?
3 answers Last reply
More about computer suddenly shuts games

    Hi Firestorm,

    "Firestorm" <Firestorm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3DE97132-650F-4248-8A0C-1AD0DF051792@microsoft.com...
    > For some strange reason, my laptop randomly shuts down during a game. Then,
    > when I start it up again, it shuts down while Windows is loading. I'm
    > guessing its an overheat problem? I'm guessing this because the computer will
    > start up normally after waiting for a minute or two. How can I fix this?

    The first thing I would do in your situation is visit the website
    of the laptop's manufacturer, and update all system drivers,
    in particular the drivers for Chipset, Sound, and Video.

    Driver installation instructions should be provided at the web
    site, or start from Step 2 of my desktop video driver install
    instructions: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers

    Plug in your laptop for the best results when gaming.

    OVERHEATING is the #1 cause of various laptop problems!
    Be certain that you're not blocking the laptop's air vents,
    and that they are free of dust. Look for signs of overheating
    by running your hand along the sides and bottom of the laptop.

    If you notice your laptop is running hot, and the fans are all
    working properly, one trick that I've used with my old laptop
    was to sit it on a clean flat box (similar to a medium pizza box),
    in which I kept several cooler ice packs from the freezer. ;-)
    Of course, you could order a professional cooling mat instead.

    If you feel that your laptop is overheating way too much, you
    should contact the manufacturer to see what they suggest. In
    some cases they may need to replace the CPU heating fan, or
    recommend the ideal Power Settings to use while gaming.

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    I had very much the same problem on my laptop. I have a eMachines M5309 unit
    and what I did, I took the thing apart and cleaned it. Now it works just like
    new. I was amazed how dirty it was in there. I had only had the laptop 6
    months. You can try updating the drivers from the manufactorer, I did but
    that wasn't the issue on mine. It was just plain dirty.

    "Firestorm" wrote:

    > For some strange reason, my laptop randomly shuts down during a game. Then,
    > when I start it up again, it shuts down while Windows is loading. I'm
    > guessing its an overheat problem? I'm guessing this because the computer will
    > start up normally after waiting for a minute or two. How can I fix this?
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    "Marcus Geek" <Marcus "Geek"@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I had very much the same problem on my laptop. I have a eMachines M5309
    unit
    > and what I did, I took the thing apart and cleaned it. Now it works just
    like
    > new. I was amazed how dirty it was in there. I had only had the laptop 6
    > months. You can try updating the drivers from the manufactorer, I did but
    > that wasn't the issue on mine. It was just plain dirty.
    >
    > "Firestorm" wrote:
    >
    > > For some strange reason, my laptop randomly shuts down during a game.
    Then,
    > > when I start it up again, it shuts down while Windows is loading. I'm
    > > guessing its an overheat problem? I'm guessing this because the computer
    will
    > > start up normally after waiting for a minute or two. How can I fix this?

    >What i do is just take my cpu and put it in the oven.
    >Please tell me if it works 4 u.
    > d;-}

Computers Games Video Games