nightrider kit

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
I am in need of a laptop. I used to be into desktops but due to updates conflicts and convenience.......I became a console gamer. But I am in need of a laptop for school work and gaming. Gaming and internet will probably be primary function though. I've been out of the loop for awhile now and I'm wondering what brand or company people recommend?

I also bought a custom desktop about a year ago from cyberpower and I was very unimpressed with them.
It did not turn on and customer service was all but useless. I would have had to pay to have it shipped back and I became unemployed so it sat. Recently I had one of my buddys look at it and he said they sent me bad ram which if I'm not mistaken shouldn't have happened since they (Supposedly run your computer for like 48 hours) to test it to make sure it works before sending it to you.

But anyway I want at least a 2.4 duo (or quad) processor 4-8 gigs of ram and an Nvidia graphics card. Like I said it will be mainly used for internet, Itunes, typing, watching movies, and some light gameplay. (Mainly RTS games) Since the desktop has got the real power. I'd like to be able to run Company of heroes\ starcraft 2 and ARMA. My budget is $500-800. (I'm partial to Nvidia cause my dad worked for them and knows all about their cards. If ATI has the better card in my price range then I have no problem goin for theirs instead though)

Thanks in advance

nightrider kit

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Thanks guys for the feedback. I actually decided to focus on doing it right instead of half assing it. Decided my car doesn't need gears haha. XPS a 740qm 1.73 quad core Geforce 435M 2 gig onboard memory 8gb ddr3 640gig-hard drive.

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010

I would go with an Asus G60vx or something along those lines. They are great in terms of gaming and the only issue is you are going to want a cooler mat for it as they tend to get warm gaming. (putting on weight to pad your lap so your legs don't fall asleep isn't a bad idea either. They tend to be kind of heavy but most good gaming laptops are.) Battery life is decent if you play with the power settings and they have pretty good horsepower for gaming. average will run you about 630.00 US

nightrider kit

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Thanks again for everybody's replies. I went along with an XPS afterall. (Yeah alittle more expensive) My dads got a buddy who works for them and knows all about them. He said he could get me a deal on one so I wouldn't get hit too hard haha. Thanks again everyone I appreciate everyone's prompt replies.

Thanks Brian