How to copy system drive to a new smaller hard drive

systemize

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
i have a (spinning) hard-drive with my windows 7system and data on it. it is up to date to this month. the hard-drive is a 320gb. there is jsut 69gb used on the 320gb. i just bought a 256 gb SSD (solid state HD). i would like to place everything on the 256 and put IT in my laptop. i have saved a system image of the 320gb on DVD. windows seems to want an exact size (320gb) to restore the system to. any solution???

systemize

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012

hi--- i just found '''PC Disk Clone X 11.5''' as a possible solution.... i have no desktop avail .... i will keep watch over the posts ... thnx

Did you use Windows backup to create the system image? I tried to restore to a new hard drive (larger than drive image was created from) and could not get it to restore using Windows Backup. May be an issue to prevent piracy. I ended up doing a clean install and reinstalling all the software. The machine is running fine with no problems now.

systemize

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012

hi ken --- i , at first did make a MCSFT SYSTEM_IMAGE and tried to put it on the smaller SSD -- it did NOT work (i find thru GOOGLE searching that both drives MUST BE THE SAME SIZE) ..... but i finally WON THE BATTLE ... i found ACRONIS 2012 (.com) ... it CAN CLONE to SMALLER AND BIGGER destinataion drives. i am up and running with the new SSD (and battery life grew from 3 hrs to 4-5 hrs ... i am happy). (oh yes-- be sure to DEFRAG and push everything to the bottom of C: .... i think that way the only thing chopped at the top are zeros) .... thnx everyone.

johhny-marshal

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012

It would be better if you do would not transfer the data on that drive. Its better if you re-install Windows again over there. Because while transferring everything along with system files, there could be some damage to system files. Moreover, the Windows might crash.

druben

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
What I've done in the past is to use Disk Management to shrink the drive partition to smaller (or the same size) as your backup drive before doing a backup, and then restoring to the backup drive from that image. Then you can extend the partition back to where you had it before.

jeffsteinberg2

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007

While I'm not cloning to a SSD, MiniTools Partition Wizard is about as easy as it gets and it's free for home use. In my case my OS is damaged and I want to make a clone before I attempt repairs, so I downloaded the ISO (bootable version once burned to a dvd). You clone to a larger or a smaller HD and also use it to change the sizes of partitions.